Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fins
Quote | Reply
What fins do you ladies use? I'm clueless on what to buy for my masters swim I'm starting.
Thanks!

Susan Harrell
http://www.endurancezone.com

Quote Reply
Re: Fins [seh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an older version of what is now the Speedo Optimus.

What I like about this fin is that it is not too long, so that the flutter kick and dolphin kick are really pretty similar with the fins versus without the fins. My previous experience with other types of fins is that if you get the really long (inexpensive) scuba fins from your local sporting goods or outdoor store, then the kicking motion in no way resembles a real kicking motion. Also, the longer the fins, the more stress on your knee joints.

Some people don't use shorter fins is because the shorter fins don't really make you swim much faster, but they do really provide great resistance while imitating the no-kick motion. The longer fins make you go much faster but don't in any way mimic the proper kick.

See if you can try a couple of different styles at the pool from your lane buddies before you buy one that works for you.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The idea from brokenspoke about trying on multiple kinds is genius. If you can do that, go for it.

I recommend the fins that are sort of mid-range. They're not too long but they're not too short. I think both Speedo & TYR make some - they're typically different colored options (that either represent the strength/stiffness of the fin or the size) - that seem to work well for most people. As mentioned, they're not the super-long scuba fins but they still provide some resistance & they do allow increased speed while keeping at least a similar motion.

I have, use & swear by my Zoomers. They're the super short fins (mine are yellow, they used to be red, some were blue) that really just provide resistance & don't really increase speed much. I don't even use those very often unless I'm granted the rare delicacy by my coach, which usually means it's going to hurt badly since we're going to be kicking fast.

If you're looking to make big improvements with your swimming & you're just starting out with a swim group though, I definitely would recommend the Speedo or TYR ones. The green/gray ones seem to be pretty popular on our team.

Have fun with the masters group. It's a new scene & I hope you really get to enbjoy it! It's made a huge difference in my life.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Fins [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:
The idea from brokenspoke about trying on multiple kinds is genius. If you can do that, go for it.

I have, use & swear by my Zoomers. They're the super short fins (mine are yellow, they used to be red, some were blue) that really just provide resistance & don't really increase speed much. I don't even use those very often unless I'm granted the rare delicacy by my coach, which usually means it's going to hurt badly since we're going to be kicking fast.

Have fun with the masters group. It's a new scene & I hope you really get to enbjoy it! It's made a huge difference in my life.

X2 on the Zoomers. At one of my more elite swim teams, that was the only brand allowed. And that coach also only rarely allowed their use. I strongly endorse swimming with a masters' group if you can find one. Misery loves company and you can quickly improve by virtue of all those people who are faster than you so close by ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Fins [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much ladies. I'm intimidated by swimming with one of the masters groups; but know it's for the best! I'm tired of being slow :) And Andypants you are spot on. This could be why I've surrounded myself by fast ppl lately and not slow!!!!

Susan Harrell
http://www.endurancezone.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Zoomers are good for focusing on my extremely weak kick because they add weight and help improve flexibility. I also use Finis Long Floating Fin for speed. As suggested before, it is best o try out what others have to see what works best for you.

Quote | Reply
I started out with a pair of zoomers and I feel like they were great for encouraging foot flexibility and giving me an awareness of what was happening with my kick. (Side note: I didn't grow up as a swimmer and learned to swim at the age of 33... ) After a number of years, I did a one on one coaching session and had the coach recommend these: http://www.amazon.com/...rds=aqua+sphere+fins

I bought a pair and have really liked them. They are very light and sort of force you to point your toe correctly. I feel like they are a good "step-two" fin after you've built some technique and flexibility. Use them sparingly and not as an excuse not to do regular kick drills.

You might also wait and see what everyone else on your masters team uses or ask the coach what brand they recommend.

Good luck!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried a bunch of the harder plastic fins and has issues with blisters so I wound up with the Aqua Squere AlphaFin. They are made of softer EVA foam which also adds some floatation so it has helped with body position as well.

http://www.aquasphereswim.com/...g-a-fitness/alphafin
Quote Reply