Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Finally OFF the Pill!!!
Quote | Reply
Amen and hallelujah! I finally stopped taking the pill at age 36. I have been wrassling with health problems and was advised to go off as soon as possible. BF did the honourable thing and took one for the team. Got the all clear, gave the rest back to the pharmacy, I have to tell you, it's been 3 days now and I feel like I have waaaaay more energy. I also have slept well 2 nights in a row - something I haven't done in a few years.

I am secretly hoping I will lose 5lbs, grow my hair 3 inches and lose the backne in the next week ;-)

Anyone else notice any difference when going off the pill?

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Finally OFF the Pill!!! [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone else notice any difference when going off the pill?
I noticed I got pregnant a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed I get a period every 4 months or so and I am more pimply. Other than that, everything is pretty much the same for me...

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Finally OFF the Pill!!! [BeeHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL... at least I don't have to worry about that! ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on it at 17 to regulate pds since I went amenorheaic- stayed on it till 35- I was like you- WOW I feel great! better than ever, lost weight-body fat, feel much peppier, sleep well, wake up well-don't have eating binges. Still have mood swings and hormonal fluctuations but it's nothing a little herbal tea doesn't remedy :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went off in July and got an copper IUD. My first period was a doozy, my second not as bad and this last one pretty manageable.

I was on the pill 20 years.

I do feel better. I have more energy and it is nice to have one less pill to take every day. My first month was pretty rough with moodiness, being really tired and overall just not feeling like myself. It has gotten better. I also seem to be losing weight easier now that I'm actually working on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Finally OFF the Pill!!! [Snap!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I started at 16, only had a 2yr break for K, so it's been almost 20 yrs of continuous oral contraceptives. I just can't believe how much better my MOOD is... way less cranky & crusty. Hmmm, maybe that's not a good thing haha.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on Diane 35 for my skin. The nice side effect of it is that it works as birth control too. As much as I would like to not take it, I don't know what would happen to my skin if I stopped and I don't really want to find out.

Quote | Reply
I went off the pill a couple of months ago after many, many years on it. Personally I loved being on it--the predictability #1, plus with the last pill I was on I didn't get a period at all.

Now, I'm really pimply and have the worse PMS bloating and yucky feeling for a week before AF comes. Yuk. Boohoo, can you tell I have PMS right now....
Quote Reply
Re: Finally OFF the Pill!!! [siobhan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to go off... I notice the week I'm not taking the hormones I actually sleep all the way through the night instead of getting up 1-3 times to pee.
I looked into the copper t and it's not recommended for women who have bad heavy periods... like I did before the pill (I'm on nuvaring).
So, I made an appointment with an ob/gyn for Jan. 8th (since I'd be a new patient, so far my GP has always done my yearly exams) to talk to them about my options, possibly looking into essure.
Anyone here have any experience with essure? It's non-surgical way to "tie one's tubes".
Hubby refuses to take one for the team - doesn't want "his stuff cut", plus isn't convinced we'll find someone to do it, since we don't have kids (but he's 47 and I'm 33).
Quote Reply
Re: Finally OFF the Pill!!! [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? Not find someone to do it? Most urologists love doing vasectomies - LOTS OF MONEY!

One thing that has been mentioned on the Womens before is endometrial ablation (sp?) - basically cauterizing the inside of your uterus - it's suppose to help with those heavy periods, but it's a no-look-back kind of thing, so if you ever want to get pregnant, that would not be the choice for you. I looked into it, but BF stepped up, which was nice of him ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been on them for 6 yrs or so, that estrogen is good for my skeleton. I've never had any of the side effects you all have talked about, I am lucky, and grateful for it.

Glad not taking them is making you feel better tho!

love
tc

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, he hasn't tried. No, I don't want to have children, that's why I've been on the pill for this time, and using a 2nd method as well (yes, I'm paranoid).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the Essure 2 years ago. Was quick and easy. Was back to work the next day. I had an endometrial ablation in May and that was done in office and wasn't too bad. Severe cramps the rest of the day, but next day much better. Ablation isn't recommended by itself for birth control. You can get pregnant, but the fetus wouldn't have any nutrients and would have severe birth defects if it went to term. The ablation really helped with menstrual pain, barely any period and no more "heaviness" in my pelvis. You still get PMS type stuff because that is hormonal. I would do it again.
Krista
Quote Reply
Re: Finally OFF the Pill!!! [BeeHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a pill to stop snoring?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I went to talk to a gyn at the beginning of the year she was ready to install Essure. I went home and thought about it, did a bunch of research and still didn't feel good about it. The follow-up kind of freaked me out and I wasn't sure I wanted something that couldn't be reversed if my body rejected it. When I went back in July to talk to her again I told her after a lot of research I wanted a copper IUD. She immediately agreed that the IUD was the way to go and admitted that she doesn't recommed Essure as much as she used to. There is a trend to do that procedure in the office and if the placement of the things goes wrong they would have to get back in there again. There is a new installation device that is supposed to help but she said not many Dr.s had used it at that point and she still recommed doing the procedure in a hospital instead of the office. She explained the copper IUD has been around for a very long time, is proven very effective and if my body rejects it then it is easy to remove. She put it in that day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Finally OFF the Pill!!! [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went off the pill in Aug after being on for 9 years ( I have 2 kids)
I hated taking it
I decided to get off it not because my gyno said to (she did not give me any good reasons to stay on it)
I got off because I just did not feel good - I was also real swollen down there and my gyno said "oh you will be fine"
so I polled 2 doctor clients - and about 5 female tri and running friends all of them said get off of it
I am single and not sexually active (dangit) so here I am

I also thought it made me look really round and hindered my ability to lose weight
Aunt Flo visited 2X that month and now she has not had a visit in 4 weeks
If I dont start in the next couple of weeks I will call my gyno

also
I am so waiting to lose some weight
I want to lose 12 lbs by Dec 31!

http://www.trainerbecky.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the Mirena IUD put in about 18 months ago and I LOVE it!! Had been on the pill but was taking another Rx that could interfere, so my Ob/Gyn suggested Mirena, and I am so glad I made that choice. Had some severe cramps for a couple hours after it was inserted, but after a few days I felt completely back to normal and haven't noticed a thing since. I would definitely recommend it to someone who thinks they might not want to get pregnant for a while- you can keep it in for 5 yrs if you want. Plus, my insurance covered the entire cost, so $ wise it works out to WAY LESS than paying for a new pack of pills each month.

Also not getting my period is pretty convenient!

--But we're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am much like many of you - took the pill for damn near 20 years with no real breaks and after the back and forth of whether or not to stay on it or get off it...the researching whether the pill helps prevent this or promote that - I said screw it and got off the pill. I had a ton of issues trying to lose any weight on the pill, the only real benefit towards the end was the predictability of when I would actually have my period...It wasn't helping so much with the pain, the grumpiness, etc.

Since stopping, I've noticed I do sleep better and feel better MOST of the time; however, my actual cycle is ALL screwed up! I have NO idea when I'm going to have my period - or not. None at all. Just after I stopped taking the pill, it was still every 4ish weeks. The past two-three cycles, I've had to stop at the drug store to get a pee-stick to prompt my body to have my period (at least that's how it feels!). They have been anywhere from 32-60 days apart. Not sure when or if this will regulate, but it sure is a pain!! BUT, compared to all of the issues I had with the pill (all 30+ brands I tried over the years!) and all of the issues I really do have with taking multiple medications if they aren't necessary...I'll take it. Especially if I'm able to start dropping weight naturally now that I'm not training for an Iron distance..and I'm eating cleaner, walking lots, doing some weight training..adding in yoga..etc (can you tell, I'm really TRYING?! :) )
Quote Reply
Re: Finally OFF the Pill!!! [Jenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How old are you btw? I am only 36 but starting menopause early so I am expecting my cycle to be all over the place. Again, since BF stepped up, I won't have to pee on a stick anytime soon, but you may be starting menopause early and/or having a reaction to a high training load. Some women never get a regular cycle. AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 30...I assumed that the cycle issue was a reaction to the training volume. I trained for IMAZ in April and IMKY in August, so I'm just now returning to somewhat reasonable training levels (or..not really training much at all! however you want to look at it)! I have my dreaded yearly appt in the next month and a half or so - at which point if it's not regulated out a bit, I'll ask the docs opinion. It is a pain just not really knowing what's going on!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I suspect if your load drops a bit, and you get enough healthy fats in your diet, you'll return to a normal-ish cycle, what ever that is for you. Your normal may be 32 days.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Healthy fats...Like Cake, right? oh...not cake. That's right. That's why I signed up for the weight loss challenge for the winter. HEALTHIER...Get healthier..and try NOT to be an athena-sized racer next season. RIIIGHT!

and...32 days would be heaven compared to the 60+ that has me up at night trying to add up the weeks, and figure out what's going on with my body! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was so over the map in my first couple seasons of long-distance racing that I was about to go out and look for a 'pee on a stick' sponsor. (Those things are expensive!!) When I stopped worrying about it so much things seemed to settle down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
60 would be a pretty good turnaround time for my body these days...

Jodi
Quote Reply

Prev Next