Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fast Mom Problems
Quote | Reply
Thought some of the womens might enjoy my wife's latest race report , in part about the fears/dangers of racing as a parent

http://austintriathlonstore.blogspot.com/...-hamburger-face.html

intro:
Quote:
If you think race-day involves packing a lot of equipment now, just wait until you have a baby. Bike stuff, baby stuff, 40 things “just in case”...the indomitable little brown Prius was stuffed to the gills. August 1 was our first trip to the Driveway since Theo was born, and my first time back racing.

I was so nervous and excited that I could barely string a sentence together, which meant that one of my rare opportunities to be social as a new parent was largely a wash. I’d been preparing for my race, the Women’s 123, all week. I’d skipped the usual hard Wednesday group ride to save my legs, doing openers instead. The morning before the race, I’d gotten another short opener session in—a ride to the grocery store followed by 2x1min at 280 watts with a package of Pampers in my backpack.

I wasn’t sure how I would perform, physically or mentally. I went through all the different race scenarios in my head, always with the idea that I’d go for the win, accompanied by the nagging fear that I’d be spit out the back. What I never imagined, given the small field size and my familiarity with the other riders, was that I’d spend a good chunk of my evening in the Brackenridge ER.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Mom Problems [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a keeper, Jack! You've certainly done well. And a good mom, to boot.

Well-written, honest, poignant. There are many things women struggle with in this world on a daily basis - how & whether or not we should do the things we love to do & what others think of those decisions shouldn't be amongst them. It's unfortunate the amount of pressure we put on ourselves on a daily basis sometimes.

She's a good mom with good stories to tell & you're a good, supporting husband & father. Theo will know these things as he grows up & he will learn the values of health & hard work. And he'll have some killer stories to tell about how cool his parents are.

Good on ya. Keep it up.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I admire your wife's courage. I could never crit ride, which is why I like the drafting rules in triathlons and why topics on bike safety concern me.

Again, I admire your wife. I wish I could crit ride and was more fearless.

You also sound very supportive. Your wife would be a ferocious triathlete.

Thank you for sharing. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was a nice blog.
As a single mom to 3 kids (now mostly grown) I understand her dilemma. It's always quite the decision to make - what's best for you vs. what's best for family. But really, nothing is safe, and a happy mom is best. And a great role model for the kids. Good luck to her and her racing. Please keep us informed of how she does.

Nancy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got a chance to read your wife's RR. Great report, great writing and what a great outlook on life!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply