Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Explain roller derby to me
Quote | Reply
Somebody explain this phenomenon to me. A roller derby team started up in our small college town and they have been featured in the newspaper several times. It looks like women dressed in interesting outfits racing around on roller skates mildly assaulting each other for the crowd's enjoyment. WTF? I don't get it.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain roller derby to me [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You explained it right and I don't get it either. I think it's a chance for the highly un-fit to go out and kick other bitches asses.

Quote | Reply
Women dressed in interesting outfits mildly assaulting each other? What's not to get?

Quote Reply
Re: Explain roller derby to me [mccannathon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do women do it? That's what I don't get. I get men wanting to watch but why would women want to do that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do women do it? That's what I don't get. I get men wanting to watch but why would women want to do that?

Shot in the dark here... but, because men want to watch it?

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: Explain roller derby to me [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is kind of creepy. I appreciate your perspective, I wonder if the women doing it realize they are doing it to be watched by men or other women? So if no one was watching, they wouldn't do it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No more creepy than being a cheerleader, IMO.

Other than the potential for physical contact, women showing their bodies off for men is as old as time.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Explain roller derby to me [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to disagree with your cheerleader comment, just a little bit. Cheerleading involves leadership and service. Notice I said "involves" which I mean is not all about leadership and service but has some elements to it. Even the dancing ladies at football and basketball games are asked to volunteer or make appearances to motivate people.

I was a cheerleader for a time in high school and I recall hours of work behind the scenes making signs and preparing for pep rallys. I also spent time mentoring younger girls and helping build up confidence in team mates. It takes a lot of guts to get up in front of the entire student body in a short skirt. Of course, since there is a short skirt involved that means there is a doing it for the boys element that is undeniable.

Anyway, I see what you are saying but I don't think the intentions of cheerleading and roller derby are exactly the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of cheerleaders who do zero volunteering and love showing off their bods for the attention from the boys. Face it, it can be about service to school/community, but to many it's about showing off for the boys.

As for rollerderby, yes we have something like that here as well, and it's on the same level as honey wrestling. Some women like to show off their stuff - their looks and their ability to whoop another chick's ass. A lot of guys find it sexy.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I skate and sometimes train with the inline speed skating team. I am familiar with some of the derby girls as they will come and train with us when they are getting ready for big matches.

Most of them "ain't completely right." They got some kind of grudge, angst or anger thing going on and probably about 50% are lesbians. Not sure if there's any connection there...? There's some that seem more normal and I'm not sure what motivates them. It's weird to see that many "mean" women all in one place.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain roller derby to me [android] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I skate and sometimes train with the inline speed skating team. I am familiar with some of the derby girls as they will come and train with us when they are getting ready for big matches.

Most of them "ain't completely right." They got some kind of grudge, angst or anger thing going on and probably about 50% are lesbians. Not sure if there's any connection there...? There's some that seem more normal and I'm not sure what motivates them. It's weird to see that many "mean" women all in one place.

Sounds alot like here! ;-)

don't ban me! Its a joke :)
Quote Reply
Re: Explain roller derby to me [swimfan®] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well now that you're around, you're absolutely right :P

Quote | Reply
Whatever swimmie, you are in here all the time now. I think we should form a roller derby team and beat the snot out of you.

Don't cry, it's a joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Whatever swimmie, you are in here all the time now. I think we should form a roller derby team and beat the snot out of you.

Don't cry, it's a joke.
;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think we should form a roller derby team and beat the snot out of you.

I'd like trackside seats, please...

*not that I have an issue with swimfan - I just think that it would be a great show!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roller derby was big back in the 60's and 70's, but there would be men's and women's teams taking turns on the same show (but not competing against each other).

I haven't seen this latest version. Probably falls into the same catagory as women's pro wrestling - T&A with an athletic twist. Pro wrestling is really dumbed down from the old days, so I'll guess roller derby probably is also.
Quote Reply
Re: Explain roller derby to me [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Pro wrestling is really dumbed down from the old days, so I'll guess roller derby probably is also.

Yeah, bring back the Iron Sheik and Jimmy Superfly Snuka!

I really liked wrestling when I was in grade five too, but dumbed down? Really?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Explain roller derby to me [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loved pro wrestling also back in about grade 5. Maybe it hasn't got any dumber. We just got older.:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there. Well, I haven't been on this site for a while (only a few posts over 2-3 yrs) but happened upon this thread and couldn't help but post something. I'm an ex skater for Seattle's Rat City Rollergirls and am currently training for IMCdA. I skated for 3 years and got to know the sport and the girls very well. Let me tell you, it is definitely a highly athletic sport, very high contact and high injury risk as well. Practices and bouts used to seriously kick my ass and I'd like to consider myself fairly athletic (have been my whole life). Back in the 60's and 70's it was staged and much like prof. wrestling. Today, it is not staged, but there is still a very small level of theatrics and spectacle to it -- simply for the fun and crowd's sake. But if you ever attend one of the national tournaments you won't see any of that -- it's all hardcore athleticism at its finest. Yes, some of the women don't look like your typical athlete, but they all play a very important role on the track, much like the enormous professional football players that don't look like they could run even 3 miles. They are all highly trained and have found something that they love.

We come from all walks of life - doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs, stay-at-home moms, baristas, etc...you name it and you'll find it in roller derby. What brings us all together is an enormous sense of camaraderie and the opportunity to be a part of something bigger than ourselves. The modern-day derby leagues are all owned by the skaters and 100% run by the skaters in a non-profit manner. This takes a ton of work and effort to bring a bunch of Type-A women together to run a business in a democratic fashion. Most girls will put in around 10-20 hrs per week with practice and running the business in addition to numerous volunteer programs and giving back to the community and local charities. Nobody gets paid -- in fact the skaters actually pay monthly dues to be a part of the league.

I have seen some women who have completely turned their lives around with the help of derby. They found a community of strong women who will accept anyone and everyone just as they are. We truly are one big family and of course there is some drama and riffs between members we definitely are there for each other and have formed some lifelong friendships. I know of women who were in abusive relationships that were able to get out due to the help of derby, women who self-admittedly would be dead now from drugs/alcohol and poor lifestyle choices, but are now pursuing great careers or are back in school and happily on their way to a successful life.

It is not about doing it for the spectacle or for the men or women that enjoy watching it. It is about empowering yourself and feeling good about yourself no matter who you are or what you look like....and celebrating it! And not to mention it is a hell of a fun sport! Some women like to be a bit more revealing than others with their uniforms, but so what! That is their way of exuding confidence and empowering the less-than-supermodel portrayal of beauty. I see many many triathletes wearing much less in a race than these derby girls! Nobody ever seems to rip on them for that!?!! And I know for a fact that many men really enjoy that part of watching a tri.

I think if you attend a bout and actually "get" the rules and sport you will realize that it is actually a hell of a lot of fun to play! We even have a rec league that plays once per week now -- which there are never any fans to watch -- it is simply and purely 100% for the fun of the sport!

Let me tell you....it is the absolutely best "therapy" you'll ever get! Having a hard day -- go to derby and HIT some girls -- you'll feel like a whole new person, and best of all there's no hard feelings! It's expected!
Quote Reply
Re: Explain roller derby to me [stephm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK this tread is going to be fun :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>Let me tell you....it is the absolutely best "therapy" you'll ever get! Having a hard day -- go to derby and HIT some girls -- you'll feel like a whole new person, and best of all there's no hard feelings! It's expected! <<

Sounds a lot like going to the dojo and sparring! Which is a BLAST!

Thanks for the info Steph.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting stuff! Personally, I'm more of a talk about your feelings or go for a long run type of person but if hitting other women works for roller derby people then thank goodness there's a bunch of you wanting to do it. I would hate to be on my long run and get taken out by a roller derby queen looking for a roller rink!
Quote Reply
Re: Explain roller derby to me [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which is why I had to give it up - I actually liked hurting people a little too much ;-)

Thank god for soccer!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet derby chicks are bad ass...

It sounds like fun!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guilty secret ... I love Roller Derby ... and American Gladiators. In my defense, so does my wife.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply