Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Excessive fatigue
Quote | Reply
Hey ladies, I need your input...
I had a great season last year and after the Xterra World Champs late October, I took about 6 weeks completely off training, then started training again with a winter base training program until the first week of February. Then I continued with my regular xterra/half iron training program (which averages about 12 ish hours/week). For a few weeks in February and for the past couple of weeks, I have been feeling excessively tired. In February, I took days off as needed, in March I started to feel better but I could still feel that my legs weren't firing up when running and this has been a on going issue.
I raced the Xterra West Cup last weekend (April 25)and had a good swim & bike but absolutely no legs on the run. I've now been back for a week, I had planned a recovery week for last week but was only able to train for a total of about 2 hrs (for the entire week) due to this excessive fatigue, I am repeating the recovery week this week hoping that I will feel better but feeling more tired than I should be considering I took 4 rest days last week and did only 3 very easy workouts.
My question is, should I be concerned and seek some medical advice or should I just take more rest days?
Thanks
Alexia

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [Alexia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That tired? Get bloodwork done.

Getting enough sleep? Eating enough?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, good point...what should I be looking for in the bloodwork?
Yes, I'm sleeping 8 to 9 hrs a night but I feel very tired/sleepy during the day, eating well but loosing weight (slowly)

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iron, thyroid hormones, calcium, vitamin D - have them do a full lab workup

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good stuff, thanks for the info

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would potentially add testosterone levels into your list of tests. Even women need testosterone in small amounts and too low of levels could lead to the symptoms the OP mentioned...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I can't get off the couch it's usually anemia. I hope you figure it out soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to get some bloodwork done today... when I saw the doctor yesterday he said it could be diabetes! This seems really odd to me, being a healthy active 38 yrs with no family history and no weight problems...
Oddly enough, I am starting to feel better, had a decent road ride yesterday and a decent trail run this am...

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diabetes? What? Wow, that would be an interesting diagnosis. Let me know what they come up with. My sister is diabetic and it's always on my mind as a possibility when I start acting strange.
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, that seemed really weird to me too, but then again he saw me barely long enough to write the prescription for the bloodwork, so....

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All that fresh air and sunshine you're getting in Kelowna is freaking your body out, and your brain is shutting you down in an effort to compensate. Back in van you had a healthy balance of rain, darkness and smog to keep your system on an even keel. Non freaked out body == way more energy. I'd post the scientific studies, but I need to take a nap...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL!
That's exactly why we just put our house on the market!

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pregnant?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
pregnant?

That would certainly make her tired!
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope!

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you feel like you (often) need to lay down and rest but not actually nap, like your body is tired but your mind is not? I hope you don't have what I do: hypothyroidism. It's only taken oh 5 yrs to get back to my decent running form. Make sure you get a COPY of the blood tests sent to you - just tell them at the desk "copy patient, please" - they'll do it, if they try to say "no", just give them a "really?" look... You'll get the results in 3ish days. Then ping me and we can discuss ;-).

FWIW, I *seriously* doubt it's diabetes. You would have a lot of other symptoms besides just fatigue.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with pp, make sure to get a copy of the results. After IM two years in a row and several HIMs, I also felt like I had no legs. Would feel winded going up a flight of stairs. Was also experiencing constant hair loss. My regular blood tests looked normal, no anemia. However, it was only after ferritin was run that it showed up as being low. Hemoglobin was in the normal range, but ferritin was at the 'bottom end'. Had been sent to a dermatologist by this point for the hair loss, and she echoed what I had read in literature on low iron stores for females in endurance sports, especially with running volume. Would have to look up the test results, but she recommended an iron supplement. I've been taking ferrous fumarate since then.
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, got the results and it all came back normal, the doc now recommends an EKG and told me to take Vitamin B everyday... thoughts?

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get my results tomorrow-I'll ask my doc for you, the vitamin B makes sense; I've been regimented in taking my vitamin now and feel much much better and it's just the Centrum for Women. My doc did an EKG on me as routine to the exam-it can't hurt to get it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What? Really? Bizarre. Ping me off the board.

Edit: regular EKG or Stress Test EKG? Doubt you'll find anything with laying around with a bunch of electrodes glued on, I'd push for the stress test.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Last edited by: AndyPants: May 17, 10 18:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok, so for me, all results real good-but... my protein levels are low so "eat more protein" and I got a perscription for B as well as D as they were both low and important for an endurance athlete
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [Snap!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still don't know what's going on with me. The doc can't figure it out, the EKG results appears ok, but can't get an appointment until next week to get the official results. In the meantime new symptoms have appeared and my training is now totally going down the toilet. Fatigue is still present of course, and seems to be getting worse, I have episodes of dizziness, and I have a hard time paying attention to stuff (more than usual)... tried to run a couple of days ago, it didn't work too well, my HR was consistent with my speed but I really felt I was working hard considering bpm/speed...I had to abort and walk/jog back home...not pretty, once home I went to bed (at noon) and slept for 3hrs!

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No ideas, but I am sorry they're having trouble figuring it out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow! so getting worse... I"m sorry sister! I don't like the dizziness factor and your PE-maybe a CT scan?
Quote Reply
Re: Excessive fatigue [Snap!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot to add headaches to the list of new symptoms... I'm going to see a different doc today...

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply

Prev Next