Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Emotions that rule the head. Help
Quote | Reply
I know this sounds strange, but how does one stop emotions rule the head. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve (I don’t mean men issues) just general confrontations or disagreements. Why don’t I just let it ride and let my mind deal with it instead of showing all my inner self? I am sadder than sad at present, can’t even take the bike out for a nice ride or walk the dog. I am at the beginning of Menopausal age past the (Pre stage) maybe that is the problem.
I have to find the power of my strength again and move on, this is crazy. I haven’t any races or training programs logged in.
Sorry I know I shouldn’t be posting my issues here, I should just go for a nice ride on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Emotions that rule the head. Help [Oran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you haven't seen a doctor in a while, then go now. That's the first place to start. Then help yourself by getting back into exercise, preferably in a group setting. Also setting a goal of being ready to race by XXX date will help you get your focus back.

There is help for being depressed. Please avail yourself to mental health resources in your area and don't continue to suffer.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that going to see a doctor is a good idea.

Do you have access to therapy? Another great resource. I think it's really important.

And setting goals (basically I agree with Sally's post) is also a great way to keep you motivated - I know it helps me. Even little things, like goals for the week, are a good idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Emotions that rule the head. Help [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, I think I will start with setting goals first. I don't really like seeing Doctors. But if I continue to feel so sad I may have to think twice about it. It is amazing how much energy is used up with emotion, I have no urge to ride, run or swim at present.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you feel about therapists? Not so doctor-y but could really help with giving you tools to deal with stuff. I personally have found it invaluable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on a succesful transistion experience with my wife (I'm still alive).
Shop your doctors: You really need one that will talk with (not "to") you!!!
Research what is going on... you are your own greatest advocate... become a student of your situation,
and be patient...

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once felt the same way as you about doctors Oran; until someone explained it to me this way.

A diabetic has to take medicine in order to survive since their body cannot produce or properly use insulin. Our brain is no exception. Some of us have mis-wirings or gene mutations that have been passed down from generation to generation. If we were diabetic we would have no problem with taking our medication/insulin. So why are we so resistent to providing the necessary medication to make up for the gap in our brain?

I recently just took a genetic blood test that diagnosed a gene mutation - my body doesn't adequatley convert folic acid into the usable form to produce serotonin and the other chemicals our brain needs; so simple but creates SO much friggn drama in me. I refused for YEARS to be on meds. In my family (aside from my husband) taking medication to help your brain is VERY frowned upon. Now that i'm on them, my problems certainly didn't go away but they are more managable.

Find your path through this time, but please try to look at the medical aspect differently because life is way to short to be sad all the time. I wish you well friend.

Quote | Reply
Oran,

I'm a psychologist and second runmomrun's (and others) advice of going to your primary care doctor (hopefully you have one. If not look for one. ). The symptoms you are describing can easily be due to a medical/physical condition that is very treatable. good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Emotions that rule the head. Help [RunMomRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sad heart is due to an issue regarding my ability to express myself on paper or should I say forums (not this one). I was on a forum and was humiliated over some silly discussion. Someone responded and typed that I am illiterate and shouldn’t give my opinion. I know my grammar and spelling is not the best but it doesn’t make me dumb. I was a migrant as a child but still managed to complete a university education. I was ridiculed for that and I let my emotions type away instead of just ignoring the issue. This is why I am so sad. "I know who I am". You must think I am ridiculous over such a silly thing. To me it is very painful and I don’t know how to move on. I am not on that forum anymore due to what happened. I even met some of them for runs and rides which I organised, and now I don't think I could meet them for rides anymore.
I feel too embraced to tell a Doctor about this. ( the ones I ride with are not the 2 males who humiliated me. They are just posters)
Last edited by: Oran: Aug 7, 09 14:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oran everyone is wired differently and what is 'silly' to one person is 'HUGE' to another. Doesn't make the person any less valuable. The ONLY perception that matters right now is yours. A good doctor would NEVER judge you. Sometimes it's just a matter of talking out your thoughts, even the irrational one's (and believe me when I say I HAVE PLENTY OF THOSE).....my counselor does an amazing job at hearing me and gently guiding me into a new way of looking at it (which I typically come up with on my own through a series of questions she poses). Don't beat yourself up, call your doctor.

Quote | Reply
Thanks runmomrun. You are very true in say saying that we are all wired differently. It is much easier to talk to people face to face; aggression is not an issue because warmth is evident. Forums on the other hand can be confronting. I am feeling better and will talk to someone about it, thank you again and keep doing what you are doing; it is good for the soul
Last edited by: Oran: Aug 9, 09 2:58
Quote Reply