Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Emergency cold fighting tactics
Quote | Reply
Uh oh. I'm feeling that "I'm getting a cold" achyness in the sinuses and I feel like I'm running a slight fever. I've also noticed I can't get enough sleep in the last 24 hours. Two hour nap after my ride yesterday and 9 hours sleep last night.

I can't get sick now, CdA is 20 days away.

Any suggestions on how to nip this in the bud? I'm working from home today to reduce cootie exposure from others. Airborn has worked in the pass but I'm getting that sinking feeling I'm passed the window of opportunity for that to be effective.

Help!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Emergency cold fighting tactics [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is CdA really that close...

slow down and take a day or two off from training and sleep! it won't hurt you in CdA at all, and might help you fight the cold. If you do get sick, don't stress, your training is done, resting now is good for you.

hope you feel better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with GG, a rest day now will help a lot.

Add some oranges, and lots of other fruits and veggies too.. I like the airborne, but sometimes think our bodies get it better the natural way.

I cannot believe CdA is that soon. Stay healthy!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swear by Zicam. Some studies say it is ineffective, but I have always found that it greatly lessens the severity and duration of my colds. The oral tablets taste nasty but my doctor told me they work just as well as the nasal spray or swabs. Airborne can't hurt, might help, and definitely rest!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chew up raw garlic cloves.
Quote Reply
Re: Emergency cold fighting tactics [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As compelling as that sounds I'd like to continue to be married so the resulting smelly breath might put that in jeopardy.

:-)

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look for Cold-Fx and also andrographis (an herb). Both are supposed to help. Cold-Fx you can get at most drug stores; andrographis is a little harder to find, but you can try a health food store. Last time I checked at Whole Foods, they didn't have it, but a smaller local store had it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheraFlu. I swear by it.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zicam almost always works for me, especially if I catch it in that early "scratchy throat" phase. I have three kids (ages 2/4/6) so colds are a virtual constant at my house. I haven't had a full blown cold in 2 years now, since I started using the Zicam nasal swabs every 4 hours at the first signs.

Hope you feel better soon and can kick this before your race.

Kristina
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of Emergen-C (my fave is the pink lemonade flavor), lots of water, and lots of rest.

It got me through a cold in India, which is a real test!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The NETI POT is the way to go! My husband's been using one for 6 years (horrid, horrid sinus infections before, had surgery, etc.) He hasn't had a sinus infection since.

I started using one occasionally and it's worked wonders. Especially on windy bikes days in high allergy season -- even though I don't have allergies, all that gunk blowing around up my nose.

Truly, I haven't been sick (colds) in I can't remember when since I started using it.

This HERE will show you how to use it. May seem weirdly gross at first, but I'm telling ya, it works!

Any Whole Foods Market or vitamin shop should have them. That coupled with the other advice, like EmergenC ( I use those, too) should get you straightened out ASAP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Neti pot. Also try gargling with warm salt water. Drink copious amounts of water and sleep sleep sleep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As compelling as that sounds I'd like to continue to be married so the resulting smelly breath might put that in jeopardy.

:-)

ha, a snotty nose and deep lung cough is sexy then? ;)

seriously, cut up some garlic, or mince it up, let it sit 10 minutes all cut up. then put some olive oil and sea salt over it and scoop it up with salty potato chips, or something like that. do it before you go to bed and nobody will even know. one night of garlic breath is better than 15 days of a wretched sickness.
Last edited by: kittycat: Jun 3, 08 20:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a Airborne/Emergen-C cocktail. I also have a neti-pot that I think works well too.

I'm glad this post is up as I feel a bit stuffy and can not be sick this weekend. Time to pull out the defenses.

Funny last year I went for a ride, took a pull off my water bottle and was bummed to discover that I had put an Airbone in instead of a Nuun. Yuck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what did you do/use? How do you feel now? i'm guessing from all the arguing with Swimfan you're feeling better???

I woke up this morning with that little tickle in my throat and went directly to the store for some Zicam nose swabs (hope they help)...I've been overdosing on oranges and grapefruit all day.
Quote Reply
Re: Emergency cold fighting tactics [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did you get to see Sprout at the store? :)

(and can you get a pic of that little hottie? lol)
Last edited by: kittycat: Jun 10, 08 5:58
Quote Reply
Re: Emergency cold fighting tactics [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emergen-C and Thera-Flu. Still not 100% but definately better.

I've also been working at home a lot and skipping anything outside that involves rain. Of course, that means alot of indoor workouts. :-(

Swimfan and I haven't been arguing, just some good natured ribbing. We had a very funny thread going around Dirty Little Secrets that was all humor and not serious at all. Too bad we both deleted posts because it was entertaining.

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: Emergency cold fighting tactics [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't actually been back, but I'm headed there this afternoon.

He's not so little (think strong norwegian but with surfer dude looks!)...my guy friends think the whole crush is very Sex and the City-ish. Since he's way to young for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you get better soon. Resting before an IM isn't a bad thing (remember, I spent 3 days locked in a dark room before IMAZ!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ginger root tea.Buy fresh ginger root,peel it and thinly slice it,put in boiling water,simmer for about 15 min.Add honey to your cup.This brew will make you sweat,but it's known for it's natural antiviral components,upset stomach,motion sickness etc.I swear by it.

Good luck ,

CA 70.3 '08 WILDFLOWER HIM '08

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the lots of sleep idea, cut back on sugar and one more thing I have been doing for myself and my kids whenever we start to get sick- we do the hydrogen peroxide in the ears. You take a syringe of HP fill it up and then lay on your side with a towel next to you- fill your ear canal with the HP and then let it bubble for about 2 minutes then sit up and grab the towel to get the HP out then do the other ear. Do this 3 times in a day 2 min each ear and I can usually fight it- if you catch it too late though then you are best to rest and hydrate and trust that you have trained well and you will be well prepared! Take good care!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Emergency cold fighting tactics [imhooked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ginger root tea.Buy fresh ginger root,peel it and thinly slice it,put in boiling water,simmer for about 15 min.Add honey to your cup.This brew will make you sweat,but it's known for it's natural antiviral components,upset stomach,motion sickness etc.I swear by it.

Good luck ,
Yep I agree with that. I also add quite a lot of lemon juice to the cup - about hald a freshly squeezed lemon. Seems to work like magic for me and its tasty too.
Quote Reply
Re: Emergency cold fighting tactics [imhooked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amen to this. ginger is excellent for just about everything. cramps, PMS, backpain, headache, stomache, any kind of aliment!

sometimes i eat a chunk of it raw (peeled first of course). between ginger and garlic, one cannot go wrong.

and lemon, as the other poster pointed out, is really high in vitamin C. in fact, i think it's one of the best sources for C.

good stuff ladies!
Quote Reply
Re: Emergency cold fighting tactics [cindyloohoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The NETI POT is the way to go! My husband's been using one for 6 years (horrid, horrid sinus infections before, had surgery, etc.) He hasn't had a sinus infection since.

I started using one occasionally and it's worked wonders. Especially on windy bikes days in high allergy season -- even though I don't have allergies, all that gunk blowing around up my nose.

Truly, I haven't been sick (colds) in I can't remember when since I started using it.

This HERE will show you how to use it. May seem weirdly gross at first, but I'm telling ya, it works!

Any Whole Foods Market or vitamin shop should have them. That coupled with the other advice, like EmergenC ( I use those, too) should get you straightened out ASAP.

WOW! I also have a hubby that was about to have surgery for this then we got a sinus irrigator....(basically a water pick with a special tip to go up your nose) and he has been sinus infection free for a very long time. Here is link... http://www.amazon.com/...iginal/dp/B000H84D2G

My cold kick butt routine:
1000 mg of Vit C 3x a day with lots of water (or 3 emergen C's a day)
Zicam spray (this stuff really works)
Traditional Medicinals Lemon Echinacea Throat Coat tea with honey
Good nights sleep

I usually have to do this for 48 hours once I feel the throat start to get a little sore.

HTH - feel better!

--------------------
Jeanne Roth
Team Timex 2007/2008
http://jeannejeannie.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply