Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dry, cracking skin
Quote | Reply
Swimming is killing my skin - while I grew up pretty used to this, the current new issue is the pads of my fingers getting all scaly (sorry, I know, sort of gross). Plain old lotion isn't cutting it. Any other remedies or expensive lotions that you've found to work (do not want to spend a ton of money unless I know something will work)?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Dry, cracking skin [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine are doing the same thing - I've found that covering them with Aquaphor before bed and then sleeping in cotton gloves (sexy) helps. I also use Eucerin hand cream during the day - I find it to be a lot better than the expensive Kiehl's hand cream I used previously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Swimming is killing my skin - while I grew up pretty used to this, the current new issue is the pads of my fingers getting all scaly (sorry, I know, sort of gross). Plain old lotion isn't cutting it. Any other remedies or expensive lotions that you've found to work (do not want to spend a ton of money unless I know something will work)?

Pure lanolin works wonders on really dry skin. I also use Glysomed hand cream (not the lotion as it's too thin) on my dry knuckles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try this https://www.burtsbees.com/...nana-hand-cream.html
It works very well.

Quote | Reply
Pure virgin coconut oil!
It's a very good moisturizer, plus it smells nice, and is 100% all natural.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's not expensive, but Jergens Ultra Healing lotion. Super powerful soothing (I have sensitive skin, so it makes a HUGE difference), not greasy, and no "I'm a orange-rose-kiwi-orchid-mint-blossom" smell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my husband works in a cement-floored warehouse full of dust - his fingertips were actually cracking painfully with dryness. this is the only stuff that works for him, and it works really well:

http://okeeffescompany.com/...p?page=working-hands

better yet: it's inexpensive ($9 for a tub that's done him over a year so far - we get it at home depot), not greasy and has no scent at all.

cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Feb 19, 13 10:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bag balm. It's made with lanolin, which I believe was already mentioned.

It's the only solution to my horridly chafed, scaly, painful hands from weights/swimming/picking at my cuticles, etc.

And it's about $10 bucks for practically a lifetime supply.

Bonus, doubles as chamois cream.

. . . . . . . . .
-julie
Quote Reply
Re: Dry, cracking skin [taciturned] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bag Balm is like miracle cream
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are topical skin barriers you can use pre-swim, but I'm not sure how well they work: http://www.aquagear.com/...uard-skin-protector/
Otherwise, I LOVE Egyptian Magic for any and every skin injury, malady, infection, burn, itch, etc. It is amazing. http://www.egyptianmagic.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
must be evolution and the transformation into a merally ;0)

Re: Dry, cracking skin [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Evolving to a what?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A mertigerchik , u know like a mermaid. :0) okay I have not had a lot of sleep :0(

Re: Dry, cracking skin [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I am not sure cracking skin turns one into a mermaid, hmmm.
I think I like running too much to be a mermaid

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
having just started swimming in an indoor pool i started experiencing the dry itchy skin thing. I started putting magnesium oil on before I swim. it's not really an oil, but magnesium chloride flakes and water mixed and then sprayed on. it's feels oily when you put it on, but if you let it will dry and you'll have a salt layer on you. i put it on before I swim and so i don't experience the salt layer (which can be sort of drying). it has helped keep me less itchy after getting out of the overly chlorinated pool.

I ordered a bottle off Amazon, but will probably just make my own in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I will recommend you to use Natural Super Cream. It has very good result in skin and you will never feel your skin dry.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/...Cream/dp/B00EPF5IX0/
Quote Reply
Re: Dry, cracking skin [Kettycol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Corn Huskers Lotion seems to work well for me and is cheap. You can find it at Wal Mart.
Quote Reply
Re: Dry, cracking skin [toadbra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you should take vitamins as well as cream, you will avoid the cracking
Last edited by: Sara777: Nov 22, 13 6:49
Quote Reply
Re: Dry, cracking skin [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So this is STILL a problem, and I am trying hydrocortisone cream (OTC). My doctor thought the skin irritation needs to settle down. It is not just hands now but eyes where my goggles are! Another friend who swims a lot has the same problem :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
So this is STILL a problem, and I am trying hydrocortisone cream (OTC). My doctor thought the skin irritation needs to settle down. It is not just hands now but eyes where my goggles are! Another friend who swims a lot has the same problem :-(
I was having the same problem a few months ago and starting using vitamin E with a few drops of neem. The dryness and irritation are no more, for now.

Quote | Reply
Same thing happens to me around the eyes from goggles, but only after I have used the same pair for awhile. Hydrocortisone creme helps (a little), but the only thing that fixes the problem is a new pair of goggles. You might try a new pair and see if the around the eye problems resolve. (And since I am on the subject, if anyone reading this wants three pairs of speedo air seal tri goggles in really good shape, PM me your address and I'll send them to you. I get the around the eye rash WAY before the goggles are ready to be tossed. As long as your skin isn't sensitive, they'll work great for you).
Quote Reply
Re: Dry, cracking skin [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those lazy moments when you can't be bothered to cleanse your face properly, must try Pure Chimp Super One.
Quote Reply