Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Don't call me sweetie!
Quote | Reply
I was bike commuting to work this morning, heading north toward an uncontrolled intersection. I saw three cars heading my direction, the lead car did not have a signal so I assumed she was heading straight so I slowed down and signaled a left turn. The woman wasn't paying attention and she slammed on her brakes when she saw me and then signaled a turn in the opposite direction. Since she stopped, I took the turn and went about my merry way however a man in a truck behind her was livid so he turned in my direction and caught up to me at a stop light. He rolled down his window and started yelling at me:

"Don't you cut me off! I'm in a 9000 pound truck and you're going to lose sweetie!"

I said something about the car in front of him being stopped and told him to have a nice day and he shouted something about "Livestrong" and then gunned his truck and took off. Of course, after he left I thought of lots of witty things to say to the fat ass in his big truck picking on a woman in capri pants and a pink bike helmet... "Enjoy your gas prices!" but all I got out was "have a nice day". WEAK!!!

Anyway, the thing that pissed me off the most was that he called me SWEETIE. Is that not the MOST irritating thing a stupid idiot in a truck can say? Damn that gets under my skin.
Last edited by: trailbait: Jul 1, 08 9:59
Quote Reply
Re: Don't call me sweetie! [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some reason I find sweetie annoying too. To me, somehow, it always seems not only condescending, but like, "I'm about to insult you but I'm going to pretend to temper it by calling you sweetie." Even if my husband started calling me sweetie I would tell him to stop.

I'm glad you didn't get hit though. I feel like I read one of those every day :(.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the condescending sweetie remark at work (not by co-workers, but by customers). Any time I get it I look the old man (it's always the old guys - "Look at me, I'm a vet") in the eyes, stick my hand out and say, "Actually my name is Deirdre. Nice to meet you". That has stopped the sweetie comment in every situation. I'm not sure what the old farts think of my tactics, but it works.

Quote | Reply
That would irk me too. And my husband calls me sweetie all the time and I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a hell of a way to start your day, Sugar. Sorry to hear about it. Glad to hear that you weren't hit though, Honey-Pie. That would have been terrible!

I hope the rest of your day goes much better, Darlin'.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should make beanies that say "Enjoy your gas prices", I'll will wear one in a heartbeat while riding around.

Peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh I totally know what you mean! What an a-hole! I got called "honey" by an old fart while racing this weekend (after we shared some other umm...verbal exchanges..haha) and I wanted to just get off my bike and kick the crap out of him. So degrading. His exact usage was "See you on the run honey!" ...little did he know the run is my strongest and there would be no way he would be seeing me.

-Amy
Powder7 Ski Shop, Golden, Colorado
Quote Reply
Re: Don't call me sweetie! [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at Starbucks this weekend behind an older man who was ordering the most high maintenence drinks in the world. I swear it took him 5 minutes to make absolutely sure that they were getting it right. All of the staff and customers were annoyed. As he was waiting at the end of the bar for said drinks he called the barista Sunshine, her reply back was my name is.... I can't actually remember what is was, but my thought was GOOD FOR YOU!!! I hate being patronized by anyone and it seems that recently I get Sweetied by women who are 15 years younger than me. What's up with that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AGREED! That is annoying.

I have a co-worker who refers to all of the women he works with (myself included) as either "Kiddo" or "Babe". I have been trying to come up with a witty retort for the next time he does this...suggestions anyone???
Quote Reply
Re: Don't call me sweetie! [byrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I have a co-worker who refers to all of the women he works with (myself included) as either "Kiddo" or "Babe". I have been trying to come up with a witty retort for the next time he does this...suggestions anyone???
dickhead
or
meathead

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Anyway, the thing that pissed me off the most was that he called me SWEETIE. Is that not the MOST irritating thing a stupid idiot in a truck can say? Damn that gets under my skin.

Lighten up, sweetie. ;p

Seriously, though, that's an exceptionally condescending thing for a man to say. Doesn't it suck to think of the perfect comeback an hour later? Save it up and use it on the next jackass. There will be plenty of them to come. :(

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say "love", which basically means the same thing as "sweetie", yet the women melt.

It could be the accent. Go figure.
Quote Reply
Re: Don't call me sweetie! [byrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

i would ask him in front of everyone why he feels so compelled to use those terms with every woman in the office. then i would probably proceed to smash a muffin or cake on his face. then after that i would get fired and possibly arrested too, but i digress.
Last edited by: kittycat: Jul 1, 08 19:17
Quote Reply
Re: Don't call me sweetie! [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I say "love", which basically means the same thing as "sweetie", yet the women melt.

It could be the accent. Go figure.
what, a hillbillie accent? what accent?
Quote Reply
Re: Don't call me sweetie! [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a wild guess, love.

Who says "love" when addressing a bird?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say "mate" for the blokes and "love" for the birds. I don't see it being sexist, love.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Argh! So condescending!! I find my middle finger does a lot of talking that my mouth seems to forget. That or the usual "asshole" come out when my lips start to move. Kind of my default responses in situations like yours.

"Thanks" and "Have a nice day" are always good because it seems to annoy them even more when you are nice right back to them.

Snookums.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I absolutely HATE being called "kiddo". It just makes me want to scream. So, I look forward to suggestions too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not just men saying it to women. I've had a number of women I don't even know call me "honey" and "sweetie"....very condescending.
Quote Reply
Re: Don't call me sweetie! [dupeetriclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dickfore is always a good one....

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mmmm.... I can see that.

Nice to see you around ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Don't call me sweetie! [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All right, my love?!?

Glad to see you're happy to see me. You're always a bit of alright, love!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, it's killing me... why the heck are your posts sooooo huge?!?

Quote | Reply
Because I am a HUGE bun-ality!!! Bwahahahahaha!!!!

I think it is this large because I used to have a much, much larger signature, and this old rabbit is not computer literate enough to shrink it.
Last edited by: bunnyman: Jul 2, 08 21:24
Quote Reply
Re: Don't call me sweetie! [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next you're going to ask about why I STILL smell like cotton candy. You really don't want to know...
Quote Reply

Prev Next