Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do you train w/a group or by yourself?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
Do you train with a group or by yourself? How is that working for you?

Can you hear me now?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you train w/a group or by yourself? [Griffen_Gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mostly train with my husband. I sometimes do a session with a few girlfriends, but mostly hubby and me. It gives us times to chat and catch up on the day's happenings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a member of a tri club and do most of my training with them. I do so because:
  • It's easier to motivate myself to go to workouts
  • It's easier for me to do the hard workouts with others (I feel like a total tool killing myself on the trainer in my ground floor apartment that's easily seen into from the sidewalk outside)
  • It's more fun - I love the folks in my club
  • I enjoy the competition of trying to catch or keep up with certain people in my group
  • I feel safer on long runs and rides
  • I've learnt a lot from the more experienced people in the group, be they more experienced triathletes or athletes who very skilled in one of the disciplines (ex-roadies, fishies, marathoners)
  • I've been in the club long enough that newbies think I know what I'm talking about (they learn otherwise soon enough, but it's fun while it lasts!)
  • Did I mention it's fun?

That said, every so often I really enjoy a long run, ride or swim all on by lonesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of my training is done solo. I do swim with a Masters group 2x/week, but other than that I'm usually on my own. I do like training with other people, but training on my own makes scheduling workouts much easier and I'm not worried about the other people while I follow my program.

Typically for me, getting changed and out the door is the hardest part. Having a group/partner helps with this, so if motivation is difficult for you then peer/group training may be the ticket for you.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do most of my training by myself, with occasional rides/runs with the hubby or group rides with some roadie friends. The hard part is that they are all faster than me, so an easy Zone2 workout is out of the question with them. I definitely miss the motivation a group/partner gives you sometimes, but my schedule is kind of odd, so it's just easier for me to suck it up and train on my own. Plus there are days when I really like having some time to myself, so it all balances out.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting you posted this because I was just thinking this very same thing when I went to a Master swim tonight -- how many are joiners versus solo.

I signed up because it's easier to know a pool's available in the evening (my rec center caters to swim teams/clubs) but I dislike being pigeonholed into a timeframe, so I do most of my training on my own. And then I have this weirdness set in if I don't show for every workout -- even though I know I've been training on my own.

My work is somewhat flexible so I can do a lot of switcheroos on workouts.

Oh, and the other thing is I'm turtle slow, so when the tri club meets for workouts, I just assume I'll be left behind <sigh> -- though I might screw up the nerve to join them this year.
Last edited by: cindyloohoo: Apr 12, 08 3:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running or swimmng, almost always by myself.

The bike - mostly with a roadie group beacuse it's a 1000% more motivating and fun than riding alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you train w/a group or by yourself? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimming always with a group. It is much easier for me to get in a swim workout with friends for some reason. Running 80% by myself and riding mostly by myself. Running and riding on my own because I don't have anyone my speed doing the same races I am so I'm usually going longer than they are.

That said, I wish I always had company on my rides. I feel safer with someone with me and I'm not a fan of 5 hours on the bike by myself. This weekend I'm bringing someone with me on a 60 mile ride who I think will be slower than me so I might be sacrificing a good workout but since I have to do a total of 5 hours at least I can get company for most of it.

I did a 3 hour run on my own tonight and had no problem keeping myself entertained even though my iPod died 10 minutes in. It helps that I was on a local trail through town so I could watch all the silly people out walking their kids and dogs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Do you train w/a group or by yourself? [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That said, I wish I always had company on my rides. I feel safer with someone with me and I'm not a fan of 5 hours on the bike by myself. This weekend I'm bringing someone with me on a 60 mile ride who I think will be slower than me so I might be sacrificing a good workout but since I have to do a total of 5 hours at least I can get company for most of it.

You're in Cincy, right? You should talk to Jodi - she's got a good group that she trains with.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you train w/a group or by yourself? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, outside Seattle but if I ever am there I'll be sure to look her up :-)

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Do you train w/a group or by yourself? [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoops - I'm an idiot. Not only did I screw up your location, but hers too!

Somehow I managed to type "Cincy" while I clearly meant "Cleveland". Cincy has some cool peeps too (Marisol, kittycat, rroof, MarkInCin) but Jodi is a Cleveland girl. Sort of. That is to say, she lives in Cleveland. For now.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ummm...time for you to go to bed.

:-)

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes I wish I was in Cinci- much warmer there!

To answer the OP

Swim: Always with Masters. If I have to swim at another time I beg someone to join me
Run: Usually alone but with a buddy about once per week
Bike: Never alone outdoors. I have a small group of guys who I ride with, and a large roadie group that should pick up any Saturday now. They are very strong riders and my cycling improved a ton riding with them. My cycling friends are awesome and always go out of their way to help me train. I am very, very fortunate. They even will ride the trainer with me. 3 of us got together last night for my zone 4 trainer ride. But at least half the time on the trainer I'm solo because I tend to get on that thing at ungodly hours.

:-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training is my alone time... if I'm training, GO AWAY AND STOP BUGGING ME... hee hee

I will, on ocassion, run with a couple guys in my running club ( 6 at 6!!!!) or swim with 1-3 other people. But I'm picky. I really do like to be alone. If I'm with someone it makes it harder to disappear

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a mom with odd, ever changing hours off free time, so I have not found a tri club that fits my schedule.

I swim Masters, ride with a club, and run with a club. Most times I can find copmany for a workout, that's how I like it.

The downside is: my pool of training partners in each sport tends to be much more focused/faster than me, sometimes being a triathlete hanging around with one-sporters makes me feel like I suck at everything. The upside is: each group thinks I'm "an amazing athlete" to take part in one or both of the other two sports (example cyclists think I am a Swim Goddess, swimmers moan that they get shin splints just from walking around town, etc). haha

I guess you guys are kind of my tri club. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I normally train by myself, but this year I bought my boyfriend/sherpa a new road bike so he can come with me on my rides and he can ride along when I run. It's a great way to make sure we spend some time together. And he gets some exercise too!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My two cents:
I have done both and I must say that training with a group is a MILLION times better! Its so easy to make excuses when you train alone--but when you have committed to meeting a group for a workout--you HAVE to show up! This time around I trained solo for an IM--big mistake! It would have been better to have a bud to train with--especially for the long stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like training with other people. The social aspect and cameraderie are very compelling and motivating to me. However, now that my training has become more structured: every run--even the easy ones--have a specific pace, every ride has a wattage range, and every swim is a specific workout, I've found it harder to train with others because I haven't found anyone who trains at those paces/watts AND can coordinate their free time with mine. I need a training mini-me :)
I would love to have others to ride with outside for safety, but if they're slower or faster then I end up not riding the way I was supposed to. Also, I find myself drafting during group rides which is not what I'd be doing during a HIM/IM.
So, I swim with my fiancee. We start our runs together, but he's a much faster runner so I see him for all of 1 minute of the run. We plan on riding together where he'll turn around and check up on me. Yep, he's a great guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do about 50/50.

Swimming I sometimes do pool workouts by myself, but I have a few friends who are a little faster and they can push me to go faster at swimming, so if I can rope one of them into the workout then I try to. Also we swim out in the ocean a lot and the routes we take you don't want to do alone. There are a few places in the ocean where I'll swim alone, but they are protected areas with lifeguards etc and you never get more than 400 yards from shore.

Biking I prefer my long rides (over 70 miles) to do with others. I also did my IMAZ shorter rides mostly with group rides and it got me faster because I was riding with guys.

Running, I prefer to run alone (or with my dogs). I do run with friends from time to time, but they are usually the recovery runs. Even my long runs I like to do alone. Track workouts are the only times I prefer to run with others. I want someone to share my pain, plus they keep me honest on the intervals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love to train with others but I think sometimes that forces me to push it more or go against my training plan more often which then throws me off. I try to balance how much time I do it with others vs. myself that way I still get my training in. Long rides or long runs are much better to do with friends but I can't do tempo or interval work with others.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually train by myself. It's just too hard between work and kid stuff to coordinate with other people. I do meet a girlfriend once a week and we do a social ride and talk for 30 miles. My husband rides with me on the weekend. I do everything else on CT. I usually run by myself and enjoy running by myself. I swim by myself, but would really love to get back to masters.
Quote Reply