Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Do you love your sunscreen?
Quote | Reply
I hate sunscreen. Hate it. My face is really sensitive and it's hard to find one that doesn't burn. I'm talking sunscreen for riding/running being outdoors. Daily stuff I'm set.

I've been using Aveno Baby on my face and whatever we have on hand for the rest of me. The Aveno is OK, but is so thick and gross. I tried Neutrogena and I felt like my face was being stung by ants. No bueno.

Any suggestions for something better? I'm a whitey, white girl that's already had a bout of basal cell whittled off my nose, so I need something very effective.

Help.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you love your sunscreen? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried for face only? They make a 50spf just for your face that I love and I have pretty sensitive skin.

Am interested in what other folks have tried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try La Roche Posay http://www.laroche-posay.us/...talog/anthelios.aspx
It is thick and pastey but works better than any other sunscreen on the market.

Quote | Reply
I have been using Neutrogena 70 on my face and diaper rash cream on my arms. cheap and full of zinc oxide. :) In November I hope to try out Planet Sun.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Do you love your sunscreen? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Neutrogena 70 is the one that stung like crazy. I know I've used it in years past, so maybe the tube I put on was old and somehow altered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for my face I use the Shiseido Sun Protection Stick. It's more like a makeup, but works great and not heavy at all (it is pricey too). I don't know how waterproof it is, but I use it when I'm biking/running/hiking or anything other than swimming.

I read a book (I think it was The Power of Habit) and it talked about marketing and the reason the Neutrogena stuff tingles is for marketing. Has nothing to do with the sunscreen, they added it so people could feel it when they put it on or something like that.

If anyone wants to try the Planet Sun stuff PM me, I can probably get some samples for you guys. It is pretty good stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had good luck with Coppertone Sport Faces. It doesn't run at all and never had it burn my eyes or anything. I'm a white girl too... 10 minutes outside without sunscreen and I'm turning into a lobster. I don't know if it would burn when applied, but if you haven't tried it - it may be worth a shot.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a thread on the top of the page in the tri forum about sunscreen. There is a link in there with a list of sunscreens and ratings on effectiveness and safety. I was surprised by some of the ones they liked including some natural products.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love sunscreen... it is the most delicious smell!

Coppertone water babies for body, neutrogena for face.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Do you love your sunscreen? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I should start getting a relationship with this sunscreen;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Do you love your sunscreen? [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I'm trying to avoid. I've already had a few suspicious spots cut off and I've had too many severe burns in the past, blistering, peeling and the like. Yuck. I hate burning more than I hate sunscreen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem with burning skin. What is your daily use sunscreen? My kids hate putting on sunscreen. I am looking for a sunscreen that doesn't feel awful when it's on, or give me zits.

Try Alba Sport Sunscreen SPF 40. It's more pleasant than the others on the face. All of the zinc oxide natural ones work as well, but they're so pasty thick and oily: Green Beaver, Badger.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you love your sunscreen? [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RIght now I'm using Trader Joe's daily moisturizer with SPF 15. It's very similar to Oil of Olay with SPF, which I've used for years. I also put a Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer with SPF on top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Kinesys. It doesn't stain my clothes or bathing suits. It doesn't burn my face or cause me to break out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm currently doing a big writeup on sunscreens on my blog. I am looking at four factors:

1. Sun protection;
2. Toxicity (EWG);
3. Value; and
4. Subjective: User application, greasiness and comedogenic properties.

I'm not finished my research yet.

Generally, you're better off with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as the base protectant.
Last edited by: karencoutts: Jun 4, 13 12:04
Quote Reply
Re: Do you love your sunscreen? [Ultrarunneraj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultrarunneraj wrote:
I love Kinesys. It doesn't stain my clothes or bathing suits. It doesn't burn my face or cause me to break out.

+1. I went through A LOT of sunscreens and have settled on this one.

Some other notes...

I found (the hard way, after a race) that I'm allergic to Neutrogena Dry Touch, which seems to be very commonly used by training buddies and recommended by my doctor - who then admitted that the "dry touch" ingredient - whatever that is - can be an allergen. So... if you had some tingling/itching, stay away!

Also had decent success with anything having a high zinc oxide content, though those were not as quick to apply (and a spray zinc oxide I found was useless).
  • Sun Bum cream seemed pretty good, would try their spray if I didn't decide Kinesys was the way to go for triathlon
  • Alba Organics is okay for less sweaty stuff (I didn't try the sport b/c of potential allergen). I keep a bottle of the Hawaiian one around for picnics and stuff.
  • Badger is very good - but very thick and tough to get applied evenly, used this exclusively a few summers ago
  • I had good success with All Terrain Aqua Sport when in Costa Rica a few years ago for surf camp, but then the All Terrain Terra Sport created these little beads of sunscreen when I started to sweat. The Aqua Sport face stick was a regular in my back pocket for long rides two years ago. Nice for reapplications during training. I'll probably get another one of these to use as my rides get longer.
  • A runner/pharmacist friend suggested Vanicream sunscreen for sensitive skin. I never got to try it, but that may be another good one to try

Good luck!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a new tube of the neutrogena 70, used it today and it stung like crazy!

It's never bothered me before so I'm wondering if they changed the formulation.

So now I'm really curious about what everyone is using!
Quote Reply
Re: Do you love your sunscreen? [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried many different sunscreens and the only one I have found that doesn't sting my eyes and actually lasts is the All Terrian Aqua-Sport.
I use that on my face then Banana Boat or Coppertone for rest of body.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karencoutts wrote:
I'm currently doing a big writeup on sunscreens on my blog. I am looking at four factors:

1. Sun protection;
2. Toxicity (EWG);
3. Value; and
4. Subjective: User application, greasiness and comedogenic properties.

I'm not finished my research yet.

Generally, you're better off with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as the base protectant.

Do you have a link for your blog? I'm interested on reading what you write about sunscreens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QRgirl wrote:
...I'm talking sunscreen for riding/running being outdoors. Daily stuff I'm set.

What do you use for daily stuff? I haven't been able to find one that doesn't leave my face all greasy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had good luck with Bullfrog, not greasy and lasts well.
For nose, a flesh-colour zinc that will block everything, I have little tubs of this all over, backpacks, saddle bags, car glovebox, etc etc.

more information than I can process on sunscreens at EWG, start here,
http://www.ewg.org/...cts-about-sunscreen/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no particular order

Beyond Costal
Planet Sun
Blue Lizard (rec by my dermatologist)

have had to go through blue light laser because of wide area of face, scalp that crop up with kerotosis
brutal - like Efudex on steriods
Quote Reply
Re: Do you love your sunscreen? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
There is a thread on the top of the page in the tri forum about sunscreen. There is a link in there with a list of sunscreens and ratings on effectiveness and safety. I was surprised by some of the ones they liked including some natural products.

I used the link they had in there to pick out a bunch to try - did not realize that Neutrogena was in the toxic camp but will likely still use the wet skin spray on while racing in transition.

The ones I ordered just arrived - will let you know as I try them out over the next couple of weeks....
Quote Reply
Re: Do you love your sunscreen? [Maui_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui, I wasn't ignoring your request to see my report/research... I was going to reply to you once I finished my research. I never got around to finishing my post. Not to waste all my time doing research, I've gone ahead and published what I had. You can see it here.

I was going to put all my information together until I realized that I'd have to give weighting to the factors as there is of course no clear winner in all of my four categories: sun protection, safety of ingredients, value, and feel.

Sorry for the delay in replying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, no worries, Karen. Thanks for posting the info!
Quote Reply

Prev Next