Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disks (The wheel kind, not the back kind).
Quote | Reply
Could we talk a little bit about Disks 101? As in why do you use them, when do you use them, are any better than any others? Cool factor aside, do they actually make an average biker faster (yeah yeah I get it about work on the engine). How do you know whether they're appropriate for a particular race, i.e., IMAZ? Anyone have 'em & use 'em?

Just wondering. Appreciate your thoughts.

~~ kate
Quote Reply
Re: Disks (The wheel kind, not the back kind). [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Zipp 404s for racing, and use a wheelbuilder wheel cover on the rear. Yes, it is faster with the sheel cover; if the wind is right it almost acts like a sail.

Don't know how much is the wheels and how much the cover, but between the two I routinely go 1-1.5 mph hour faster in training with my race wheels on.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I am not the speed expert, but I believe that many would say a disk will make anyone faster...but in theory, you do have to be able to generate enough speed on your own for the wheel to Really kick it in. I have two sets of wheels I purchased used: a Zipp disk and 909 front and a pair of HED tri-spokes. I use and like both sets, but due to my comfort level, I do not use the disk if it is going to be windy (i.e. anything over about 10 mph). There are many women of all sizes who can and will. I have not practiced and feel 'blown' around enough with the tri-spokes. I would say race wheels are always appropriate regardless of race (i.e. location, distance, etc), you are racing! Like the thread on the main page, why would you NOT bring your best to a race? To me it is like saying, well the race is wetsuit legal and I want to race well, but I don't want to get my wetsuit out of the closet.

You can get lots of good deals on used gear, might be a good place to start if you are not sure.

Quote | Reply
I haven't ridden with a disk, but have ridden with a pair of Zipp 808's and they definitely made me faster. I rented a set for a race and then recently bought a pair of used ones on the Classifieds. I'm looking forward to trying them out on the open road.

I'd recommend finding a shop around you that will rent you a disk wheel and take it out for the weekend. Try and find a local course that's flattish and windy like IM AZ. If you love it, you can then look into the used or wheelcover market. If you hate it, you're out a lot less $$$.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't mean to stalk the womens thread, but a disc being bad in the wind is a myth. It actually helps stabilize the bike. It is the front tire that makes a difference in windy conditions. The front wheel is what moves during heavy winds. Think of a weather vane on top of a barn. The wind pushes the rear wheel in the same direction but it creates an opposite force for the front wheel, which stabilizes the bike. Most people that have a disc and deep dish wheels, will tell you that the 808 or 1080 are worse than a disc in windy conditions. Ride a disc everywhere, don't ride an 808 front during windy conditions. Make Sense?
Quote Reply
Re: Disks (The wheel kind, not the back kind). [bmsumpter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is really a counterintuitive idea to me. You would think that the disc would catch a good crosswind and flip you over. But I've been told from several people now that the opposite is true. BTW, they have one of those "chat" boxes that marches over the Zipp website while you're drooling over their stuff. The guy on the other end of the chat box was actually very personable and didn't seem to mind giving me all kinds of information, even though I made it pretty clear that I'm intending to buy a used disc.

The interesting thing to me is that they service discs, including replacing the bearings, but also truing the wheel. I had no idea that a disc could be trued. I figured it would be like a trispoke, when it goes out of true your pretty much sol.

Thanks for the good discussion!

~~ kate
Quote Reply
Re: Disks (The wheel kind, not the back kind). [bmsumpter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to think the same about a disc but it is the front wheel that makes the difference. When it is windy I ride a HED 6/Disc combo. I also have HED 9 but it still scares me a bit.

There are a few links out here on ST about what wheels are faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dreaming~big wrote:
This is really a counterintuitive idea to me. You would think that the disc would catch a good crosswind and flip you over. But I've been told from several people now that the opposite is true. BTW, they have one of those "chat" boxes that marches over the Zipp website while you're drooling over their stuff. The guy on the other end of the chat box was actually very personable and didn't seem to mind giving me all kinds of information, even though I made it pretty clear that I'm intending to buy a used disc.

The interesting thing to me is that they service discs, including replacing the bearings, but also truing the wheel. I had no idea that a disc could be trued. I figured it would be like a trispoke, when it goes out of true your pretty much sol.

Thanks for the good discussion!

~~ kate
I do this on an embarrassingly regular basis!!!

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just replying to you, but this is a question for anyone......

I run tri spokes front and rear and have been told that putting them in the freezer will true them. Does anyone know if this is true?

Probably would have to have a friend in the restaurant business to find a freezer big enough to fit a 700 wheel.....

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Disks (The wheel kind, not the back kind). [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Just replying to you, but this is a question for anyone......

I run tri spokes front and rear and have been told that putting them in the freezer will true them. Does anyone know if this is true?

Probably would have to have a friend in the restaurant business to find a freezer big enough to fit a 700 wheel.....

This used to be what you would do with a moulded plastic BMX wheel when we were kids. I think because it was injection moulded it would have a "memory" and some how freezing it would revert it back to normal.

This worked quite well, and a BMX wheel is small enough to fit in your normal fridge, Tri-spoke has a lay-up stage by stage CF construction. I am not sure if this would work or not.

Never had an issue with my tri-spokes.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kate, fear not the disk. I got shamed into using one for the first time at IMAZ in 2009 by my former roommate who also happens to be a 2X Olympic gold medal winning time trialist. Essentially, she told me I needed to grow a pair. Disks are infinitely faster and its plain ass stupid not to use one on a flat course like IMAZ.

Not surprisingly, she was right. I rode a 5:33 and made to podium, so uh, yeah, there is something to be said for the disk.

I rode it again in super windy conditions in NOLA in April with no issues and even in my aborted attempts at TX in May and Boise last week. I'm 5'5 and weigh about 122, so i have concerns about them in the wind. I did get pushed pretty hard on a descent in Boise last week, but AZ has no such types of hills, so you shoul be fine.

DO IT!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me +1 what others have said. I race under 120lbs, and have found in flat and very windy conditions, it is the front wheel that slips and slides, not the back with a cover on. Trick for me was to learn to not panic when I felt the slip, just relax and hang on. It's worth while to practice in advance of a race.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Disks (The wheel kind, not the back kind). [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Let me +1 what others have said. I race under 120lbs, and have found in flat and very windy conditions, it is the front wheel that slips and slides, not the back with a cover on. Trick for me was to learn to not panic when I felt the slip, just relax and hang on. It's worth while to practice in advance of a race.

Yep. This.

I went to an 808 front and had significant trouble. I left those suckers on for 3 months in all types of conditions. My last training ride on them was with 20+ mph crossgusts. I gave myself a gold start and put my training wheels back on. When people asked when I was going to take them off, I replied "as soon as I no longer want to". Learning to "go with it" was tough for an old control freak like myself. I'm glad I did though. Even if they aren't one bit faster, they look AWESOME.

I am ordering an aerojacket for the rear. If I like the feel (after a year), I'll be in the market for a disc.

Coach Brain: Accelerate 3 ; Incoherent Ramblings
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply