Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Difficulties in getting out of pedals
Quote | Reply
I bought my GF a set of Shimano DA pedals, as I think they are nice and easy to get in and out of. However, even if on the loosest setting, she has difficulties in getting out of the pedals.......she thinks they are too hard and she does not have the power to twist the leg hard enough to get out......so now I have to look for another set of pedals which are easier to get out of.....and I wonder if any of you can give me some advice in this matter??? Btw, she is only 50 kilo, so quite small.

Help would be much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Difficulties in getting out of pedals [seismic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be able to adjust the side to side play in them. Try that.

------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.GetEndorFit.com
Personal Training and Sports Conditioning
------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think the lollipops are easiest to get in and out of. speedplays.

if she hates her pedals she won't ride. but it could be clipping in or out at the top, or downstroke. i cannot clip out at the top, and can only clip out with my left leg. encourage her to keep praticing, but also take her to see if she prefers the speedplays or other pedals.

patience, some people are very particular, whereas some people will ride anyway with whatever. everybody has their own way.

i rode pedals that i couldn't clip out of, and it would be 110 miles and i would do anything to avoid clipping out. absurd, but, i had to get it done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had that problem, too, until I was at my LBS for a fit and the guy saw me having trouble unclipping (uncliplessing?). He saw that I was twisting out and pulling my heel up at the same time (who knew?), which meant that I wasn't getting the full effect of the twist. Now that I focus on keeping my heel down as I twist (easier to do at the top of the pedal stroke than at the bottom), it's working better for me.

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem with the crank brothers pedals (it was extremely hard to clip in at all, and I actually crashed twice because I couldn't unclip). Then I got the Look Keo pedals, and they are very easy to clip in/out. There's also a wider base, so if you can't clip in quickly (as a light turns green, for example), you can still pedal without being clipped in. Before I got the Look pedals, I wouldn't ride on any sort of open road because I was scared I wouldn't be able to get out fast enough when a light turned red. Now, I don't even think about it. I wish her good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Shimano pedals and had the same problem. I found that if I filed down the cleats that made it alot easier to clip out. Just take some sandpaper to the bottom edges. Just keep testing them out & filing some more until it's easy to unclip. Much cheaper than buying new pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: Difficulties in getting out of pedals [ADDGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I use the Shimano pedals and had the same problem. I found that if I filed down the cleats that made it alot easier to clip out. Just take some sandpaper to the bottom edges. Just keep testing them out & filing some more until it's easy to unclip. Much cheaper than buying new pedals.
Which part of the cleat did you file down? It sounds like a thing I will try out for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the answers. I will try out to file a little on the cleats and if that does not work I will look for a new set of pedals. I agree with you that it may indeed be a matter of technique, but my GF has become seriously affraid of riding after falling 2 times due to not be able to clip out. Therefore, I think I have to solve the problem in a way that she can actually feel. If I tell her to practise, I do not think I will see her on a bike again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cleats are more/less a triangle--so the bottom part of the triangle--which clips under the pedal clip. File down/round off all the edges--I really smoothed mine out. Worked great.
Quote Reply
Re: Difficulties in getting out of pedals [ADDGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The cleats are more/less a triangle--so the bottom part of the triangle--which clips under the pedal clip. File down/round off all the edges--I really smoothed mine out. Worked great.
Sounds good, I will give it a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Difficulties in getting out of pedals [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had crank bro. eggbeaters on my mt. bike that I could unclip from but had a hell of a time clipping into. I would do circles to avoid unclipping... They seem to have gotten a lot easier after a few years use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first pedals I had were looks and i had trouble getting out of them. Now I have Time and love them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife had the same problem and fell over several times as a result. What finally worked for her was a set of speedplays, put on the lightest setting.

As per the other post, I will check to see if she is pulling up at the same time, thereby making it harder to unclip.
Quote Reply
Re: Difficulties in getting out of pedals [kben102] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fell twice when I tried Speedplays, but my Time pedals were great from the get-go.
Quote Reply