Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling and ipod... RANT!!!!!
Quote | Reply
So I was away all weekend and got back this afternoon (took today off of work) so I decided since I didn't get any exercise this weekend I would go out for a long bike ride. I live in Philly and was riding along kelly drive to head down to valley forge. I was probably riding 18-20 mph and was on the very right side of the path. About 50 feet away i see a guy going the other direction pull out to try and pass another cyclist. I yell and scream and tell him to watch out... but he has his headphones in so he can't hear me. I slam on my brakes, but its too late. He didn't even look up and he hit me full force, flew over his handlebars and crashed into me (pretty much landed in my lap). He also wasn't wearing a helmet. He was able to get right back up and ride on his bike. My bike was not so lucky. He cracked one of my aero bars when he flipped over and landed on me. My handlebars had also shifted and so my bike was crooked. I argued with him for about 40 minutes but he just kept saying "I was doing the best I can"... and I kept saying" you were wearing your headphones and not paying attention and you cost me a lot of money". In the end he wouldn't give me his info and I threatened to call the cops hoping that he would just give me the info and ride away. But he told me to call them (and they would never respond)... So i rode away after making him promise he would never use his headphones while riding ever again. He agreed, but I bet the next time he goes for a ride he'll plop them right back in. UGH!!!!! Sorry for the rant, but stupid people just drive me crazy. Is there anything else I could have done???
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling and ipod... RANT!!!!! [lwalsh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have called the cops since he was unwilling to give you his info and he was responsible for the accident. What BS!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I were a cop for one day. I would arrest ALL the stupid people out there and take them ALL to the pokey slammer. That is totally jacked. The guy was a jerk for not owning up to the $$ he cost you.

Quote | Reply
Ditto on calling the cops. Glad you are ok. Sounds like it could have ended up worse. Unfortunately, since he didn't have any damage, wouldn't take any responsibility and didn't even seem to be sorry at all, I'd be willing to bet the next time this guy is out on his bike he's wearing headphones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you're OK too, but I do have to add that I think it's very dangerous to ride that fast on paths unless they are totally free and clear. You never know what the other person is going to do, so I avoid them for the most part and ride really cautiously if I do end up on a path.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling and ipod... RANT!!!!! [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. For the most part I do avoid paths. But when i am on then i am uber cautious. i thought I did everything i should have. I shouted, yelled, slowed down,etc. And I think if i were just standing there on my bike he probably still would have hit me. He was THAT oblivious! So I really think there is nothing that i could have done to avoid it. But I will be sure to avoid that path from now on!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling and ipod... RANT!!!!! [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too. Called immediately. Plus took his picture with the cell phone camera!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all sorry to hear about the collision, I hope that you are ok. I ride that route a lot and actually rode it today on my way out to Oaks with the exception that I was on the MLK side up until the Strawberry Mansion bridge.

I ‘m sure the response he gave you regarding calling the cops must have been frustrating since the likelihood of response for that type of incident is low. If it were me, I would have called the police and then took his pic with the camera phone. People really change there behavior when they think people are taking pics or videos of them... I have even had good luck with that tactic on the highway when people are driving stupid around me. Just hold your phone up when behind or along side them and make sure they can see it.

FWIW, I had a similar incident on the trail last week with the kids in Norristown playing chicken. I spooked me and I ended up heading for the grass and jamming on the brakes in order to miss running into a young kid. I got ‘em with a squirt of water on the rebound trip...

BTW, was the guy wearing a bandana? I ride that trail and recognize some of 'personalities' that frequently cycle up and down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stuff like that really makes me question my belief in non-violence.

I totally would have snapped his pic with a camera phone. Then, went down to the police station to file a complaint. They wouldn't come out to you because it is Philly :-). But, if you go to them they will likely take the complaint.

Then, I'd carry a copy of it when I ride. If you see him again, hand it over.

Or, what would have been fun, is to stalk him. Ride slowly behind him. If he turns around, talk into your cell phone or be writing notes at stops. Pretend not to see him, duck behind a tree....Hehh....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling and ipod... RANT!!!!! [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Me too. Called immediately. Plus taken his picture with the cell phone camera!

clm
x2

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a lot of swearing at him, and getting the "dude, not my fault" response back, I would have just gone ahead and beat him with a cudgel. But that's just me. I have a bit of a temper.

Sorry to hear about the damage - that truly sucks!

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling and ipod... RANT!!!!! [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the cell phone camera idea. Totally will have to remember that one.
I probably would have beat him with my mangled bike.
Quote Reply