Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cutting Out Junk Miles during IM Training
Quote | Reply

I have noticed that during a normal day I have quite a bit of hidden junk miles. For those in the know about IM training...does it make sense to try and limit this?

~For example, every day I walk 3 - 4 miles just to the kids bus stop and back. It's no fun, boring, cold, crappy scenery, and I'm usually carrying something. When I was in marathon training, I felt a huge boost when I cut this out and started using the car. Since I started triathlon I have always been OK with the traipsing around, but my gut is telling me to take it out for the next few months. Am I over reacting?

~Another example is biking for transportation. Total junk miles but kind of a fun way to get around. I have some mixed feelings about taking this out. I'm guessing this is 1 -2 hours a week on top of my logged hours.

~I wish I could come up with a creative reason to remove "housekeeping" from my to-do list, but I guess that one's staying. :-P

Thanks for any input.

Quote Reply
Re: Cutting Out Junk Miles during IM Training [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm.....interesting question. My gut and lack of authority tell me you can go ahead and keep doing what you're doing but account for it when planning calories and rest. If you start to feel overtrained, cut out the walking to the bus stop and see if that helps. I've never cut back intentionally on my daily movement while training except when I'm too darn tired. When that happens, take the car.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm shaking my head here.....Are you serious?
You are lucky that you can bike and walk for transportation, more people should do it.
I don't really understand why you would cut this out. So its better to drive so that you are rested for training, is that the point?
There are no such thing as junk miles! Why would you cut the extra? better for your training and better for the environment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't say that I'm "In the know" when it comes to IM training. Currently training for my 1st....And BTW, Yesterday was the 1st day of a 24 week program.

I have to agree with kbee......why would you want to eliminate your examples. Maybe if you were a track and field star and needed to get the absolute most out of your high intenisity training days.

I think all those little things add up. To me, a big part of the training we are doing is to 1) hold off fatigue by improving our endurance and 2) have the ability to overcome it when it does hit. So if I can get to a fatigued state sooner and learn how to drive thru it the better.

The weather just broke here and I'm looking forward to begin my bike commute to and from work again. We have a 16 story building that I try to hit the stair well on 2 - 3 times/week. Each flight is the equivlant to two stories before you hit the platform where you get a break before the next flight.....I can get the legs and lungs burnin pretty good.

In my way of thinking, all the little extra efforts is like making a deposit in the bank. (For an endurance athlete, not a sprinter)

Again, I ain't no expert here but you can trust I'll be asking my coach.

Best of Luck to you !

Hurry Up Every Chance You Get

(formerly LuctorEtEmergo)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, I'd keep the biking for sure. There is nothing more fun than climbing on that bike to do errands. If I'm supposed to rest up, I just keep it at z1, easy spinning. That should not affect your other workouts if you keep it under an hour or so? In fact it can be great for blood flow or recovery. Can you time the bike errands day(s) to come the day after your long run, for instance?

Another strategy I use, sometimes, is to do the errands at the back end of my "intervals" day. Warm up riding through town; do intervals; ride back through town and stop for errands along the way. The downside is, you'll need to carry your bike lock and a fanny pack or backpack, if you're shopping. I try to use a big fanny pack that doesn't cramp my style too much.

Walking, well I too do a lot of that (partly for environmental reasons), but where I walk, the scenery or ambiance is nice. If you're not enjoying your walks, and if you think the quality of your runs is being affected, maybe cut back and see what happens? Does it have to be all or nothing? How about using the car on the days when you need to rest up for a big workout?

But, I agree that using the bike and walking daily is probably great role modeling for the kids!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as you don't feel like it is obviously causing extra fatigue, I'd say there's no need to drop the "ambient exercise." I love to do errands on foot and have been walking a few miles a day, even during peak IMAZ training. I think keeping my legs moving easily really helps with recovery. I've only regretted it once, when I walked 5-6 miles in a big hurry and felt it in my hips the next day.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting Out Junk Miles during IM Training [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hahah glad I could provide some entertainment. Yep, I am serious. I have a longtime running background and it is kind of accepted if you are doing high mileage weeks, to minimize the time spent on your feet.

I wasn't feeling it up til now, I've been doing the same routes all winter... but when I crossed the border past 15 hours a week, I started noticing. Believe me, those long treks can wear you down. Most of my neighbors who do the same route do not even *consider walking. But that's another story.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting Out Junk Miles during IM Training [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for your input and opinions.

I think my answer would be to cut out the part I don't enjoy. The walking, I have mentioned is somewhat of a drudgery so that will be the first to go. I tried a little carpool thingie this week and it helps. A lot.

Yeah, biking on errands is great. I could probably manipulate the timing of my bike outings a bit easier than the daily walks -- that is an every day thing.

Is it really true there is "no such thing as junk miles"? I am relatively new to tri (well at least the part about following a training plan), but I tend to gravitate away from volume for the sake of volume.

Quote Reply