Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Curious - gym dress codes
Quote | Reply
Hello ladies!

I got in trouble at the gym today for running in just a sports bra and shorts - one of the staff came up to me mid-run and said, "we have a policy here that guys can't work out shirtless, and girls can't work out in just a sports bra." Which is fine, except I've been running there in just a sports bra and shorts since OCTOBER and this is the first time anyone has said anything. I told her that next time, I'd wear a tank top or a shirt :P

At the gym I go to at home, I've never gotten in trouble for running in just a sports bra.

So I am curious... dress code at your gym? I only half-agree with the "shirt" rule. I think they're trying to keep away from girls working out in really really skimpy outfits... fine. But it's hot in there and I hate wearing a shirt when I run... it gets all wet and heavy and then clings to you :P plus wearing shirts means more laundry!!!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Curious - gym dress codes [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still trying to figure out the difference between wearing a sports bra and a tri top. Or what if you were...um busty...and decided to only where a white T? I think it is worth a shot doing what you have been doing since October and see how things go. If they don't go well, talk to their manager.

It worked for me. I once had a lifeguard tell me that I can't weird a speedo in the pool. That was probably the most ridiculous thing I have had to deal with at the gym. Really sucked too because it was ~35 degrees out and I had to haul my butt to the office before he would allow me back in the pool.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Curious - gym dress codes [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am typically running at 5 am and maybe no one pays attention then - certainly, it isn't as busy. Was there in the afternoon today and maybe that makes a difference.

as for swimming, have never gotten in trouble for wearing a two-piece to train in (not a string bikini of course... but Speedo makes some nice 2 piece training suits). Then again the swim team girls all bought matching two piece "Florida Suits" (they get a new suit for their training trip). THEY COPIED ME!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My gym has a dress code as well. I think the concern is not so much what you or anyone else does on a treadmill, elliptical, etc. but rather when you get off the machine all sweaty and then go lay down to do some bench presses. I'm thankful for this policy. My college gym did not have this policy and some old professors used to work out in there and no one wanted to see their bellies and chest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet you'd be fine with a tri-top. They probably just want your midsection covered. Talk to the manager to find out the specifics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh MAN, we were just "reprimanded" about this in the Lavender Room! Must ... resist ... posting ... "Pics or it didn't happen!"

Damn! I did it again.

Men are pigs ...

My gym has very conflicting dress codes that no one quite seems to understand. They seem to get less and less restrictive until someone complains, then they tighten up again (see my post on the main forum titled, "Gyms no longer friendly to athletes" for more disturbing info on my gym). However, the no shirt rule has always been in place and I am VERY thankful for it.

Haven't you women noticed that, most of the time, the guys who should NOT remove their shirts are the first ones to do so???

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Curious - gym dress codes [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Haven't you women noticed that, most of the time, the guys who should NOT remove their shirts are the first ones to do so???
The corollary is that the girls you wish were in spandex never are, while the rest are muffin topping their way around the gym in tights that would be too small for a thin 8th grader...

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Curious - gym dress codes [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: tri top

Yeah, that would probably be fine. I do have one Adidas tank top that's kind of like a tri top, so that works.

School's done for me on Wed. of next week :D then I'll be home and can run on trails, wearing whatever I feel like!

Quote Reply
Re: Curious - gym dress codes [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
The corollary is that the girls you wish were in spandex never are, while the rest are muffin topping their way around the gym in tights that would be too small for a thin 8th grader...

John

The girls you wish were in spandex that are wearing it are all hiding out at women's only gyms. At least that seems to be the way around these parts.
Last edited by: cuds: Apr 29, 08 14:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I'd be mad about that too!! Give me a break. I hate running in shirts too!
Quote Reply
Re: Curious - gym dress codes [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eh, I'm not mad. I'm annoyed. Furthermore I am not one of the "muffin top" girls Devlin was complaining about!

Quote Reply
Re: Curious - gym dress codes [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, the gym I go to is in Snobs, er...Scottsdale Az, so there are all the trust fund babies and the women looking to snag them crawling all over.

Saw a 30+ y/o lady going in yesterday in velour pants with "baby" in swarovski crystals plastered across the butt...blegh. Give me a break.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just wear a tri top so your stomach is covered - that seems to be what they're after. I always run in a sports bra outside, but i don't at gyms. The guys aren't alowed to run shirtless so i don't think its a gender unfairness issue, and i think running in a sports bra on a treadmill sort of gives too much of a "look how hot i am" impression, and makes you look like an attention getter. you really won't get any more hot in a tri top.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: Curious - gym dress codes [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran 9.2 mi this AM on the treadmill... in shorts and a singlet... grrr. Although one of my former professors (who is slightly creepy) was on an elliptical right behind me so I guess I didn't mind that much.

Last edited by: tigerchik: Apr 30, 08 5:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have to wear a SLEEVED shirt (short or long) when in the gym. (Well, and something on our asses, too, like pants or shorts :p) On the treadmill/ET/Stairmasters, they usually look the ther way if you're in a tank top, but if you're in the weights area or stretching or any of the other things, they make you put a shirt on.

And I had the same situation as you--I'd been going to this gym for two YEARS before anyone ever called me on it. I was lifting and wearing a shimmel--not even a sport bra. It was winter, and the only thing I had was amy sweaty smartwool baselayer to put on over top. Gross.

I think it's totally lame, esp. on the TM and ET...but whatever, the gym is basically free, so I'm not going to complain too much. FWIW, when I run/ET, I wear a sport bra and a VERY light racing tank. It's still hot, but better than a full shirt (which I have to put on when I leave the TM to lift.).

Ours is b/c it's a university gym, and it's "supposed to feel welcoming and nonthreatening."

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, sounds awfully puritanical to me. No such issues at my gym (or any gym I've been a past member of).

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No tank tops, bra tops, sleeveless shirts, short shorts, or spandex allowed at my gym. There are signs up all over the place. The problem is the laundry service washes our clothes in HOT water and dries on HIGH heat so thigh length shorts quickly become short shorts and tee shirts become belly shirts. It's easy to spot the people who have the laundry service ;).
Quote Reply
Re: Curious - gym dress codes [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wow, sounds awfully puritanical to me. No such issues at my gym (or any gym I've been a past member of).[/quote] at least I can get away with short running shorts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess naked yoga is out.
Quote Reply
Re: Curious - gym dress codes [LuvCheesecake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those crazy boys at the laundry. There probably the same guys just gawking and not working out at your gym.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh. I don't have a gym, but the ones I've been too in the past had shirt rules, and tons of women in jogbras. I think that should qualify. Maybe the rule should be "No Nipples"?

I am not a jogbra runner, I've had too many kids, and my stomach is not that pretty. But I find shimmels pretty comfy. New balance has an awesome one..
Quote Reply
Re: Curious - gym dress codes [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's a shimmel?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hee hee! When I was at Rice, you traded your student ID for the required gym clothes when you walked in the door. And you gave them back to the attendants when you left the building. They'd give you cotton shorts (light purple), cotton shirts (baby blue, and the smallest size was a men's large), and socks (not required to wear, but they had them!). Thankfully, this requirement was not enforced in the pool, though they did have swimsuits available, too!

Amazingly, I never got an icky piece of clothing -- I don't know what they were washing those clothes in, but it worked!

It was actually pretty cool, once you got past the ick factor. And the fact that you were wearing light purple shorts and baby blue tents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No dress code at my YMCA that I know of. There are signs up saying no sex in the saunas though!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Curious - gym dress codes [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No dress code at my YMCA that I know of. There are signs up saying no sex in the saunas though!

clm

I so want to add that to my signature. :D

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply

Prev Next