Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crazy bruising
Quote | Reply
I have always bruised easily (and to top it off I'm a klutz always walking into things). But this year the bruises are crazy. Currently, I have a bruise on my leg that looks like someone wrapped their hand around my leg and wouldn't let go. I can see some small scratches (barely breaking the skin) at the center of each stripe/bruise, but the bruises all extend about an inch on each side of the scratch. This bruise has been on my leg for over 2 weeks, it slowly appeared, and was the biggest/darkest over this past weekend. I have a number of other bruises on my leg, that I have NO idea where they came from. I've been laying on the couch for the last 2 weeks, so unless the couch beat me, there's no reason for them. Sunday I did a 3.5 hour ride and my bike jersey sleeve seemed a little tight, and now I have a bruise around my left arm from it. Very weird.

Whenever I start doing hard running workouts (the first 2-3 weeks of hard training) I get little bruises on my legs (both), and have ever since I was in high school. In high school, college and once after I've had blood tests that show everything is fine, these bruises are small and on both legs. They don't bother me anymore.

Anyway, i went to the doctor yesterday and asked them if there was any explanation for the crazy big and long lasting bruising. They did some blood tests, all's well they say. I told the doctor I had no idea what caused the bruises on my legs and he said i surely ran into something very hard. I told him I think I would have remembered something like that. he pointed out you can see the scratch marks and I said yes, but the size of the bruise seems so much more than just a little scratch made it.

I read a little online that taking fish oil can cause easy bruising, I've been taking fish oil for about a year, and about 3 months ago switched to Krill Oil, since it's supposed to be even better for you.

Anyone else had easy crazy bruising while you took fish/krill oil? The only other thing I've switched in the time frame of the crazy bruising is I was diagnosed with Asthma and use a daily inhaler and my as needed albuterol.

All the bruising is only on the left side of my body. Something the doctor looked at me funny when I told him. I sprained my ankle 2 1/2 weeks ago and it bruised a little. It went away w/in a week. It was my right ankle.

I have little faith in my doctor and called back for an appointment to see another doctor (not just because of this, but because I have a conversation with him and a couple minutes later he'll ask me about something I just told him)
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy bruising [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude... I know you're worried that I will kick your ass at Lake Stevens, but you don't have to go around making up crazy bruising stories to get out of it :P hehehehe
What the heck are you doing to yourself over there?

Quote | Reply
just put the whips and chains away - clearly in your sleep you are having quite the time ;)

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*LOL* whips and chains gotta luv that remark. Anyhow, maybe it is some sort of organic island fruit you are ingesting. Ok, so I'm jealous. I went to Maui in Feb. rained the entire time, but had a blast and wish I was back there.

Ok, problem solving here...lots of peeps bruise pretty easily. It is primarily due to a thin epidurmal layer at times and easily squished (like that medical term or what?) capillaries under your skin- both things actually. If your docs say not to worry and you are still worried get a 2nd opinion. You could be a little more susceptible to bleeding ie; superficial bruising occurring. If you should have say, increased nose bleeds, cuts that don't clot or stop bleeding within a decent period of time then definitely seek out medical attn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're taking aspirin on a regular basis, you can have increased bruising. Some migraine/headache meds contain aspirin so I'd check the labels if you've been taking those meds. Also, NSAID's such as ibuprofen or Alleve can inhibit platelet function and cause increased bruising as well.
If your gums bleed just about everytime you brush your teeth, I would definitely see a doctor about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too have been an easy bruiser. I have found a couple of things that can make it more pronounced. You may have already thought of these things, but maybe not :)
- hormones- right before my cycle I bruise more easily.
- alcohol - if you have been partying more that will affect your ability to clot.
- NSAIDs- regular use of aleve or the like
- steroidal anti inflammatories (which could also be in your inhaler)
I did have a nosebleed along with it when I had a knee and hip injury that required the steroid/aleve combo. I stopped the aleve.
- I wonder too about some of the GNC supps that are supposed to be vasodilators...I don't know about this one

A combination of these things could give you a double whammy affect.

Vitamin K is supposed to be helpful in clotting. Some creams have it, but it is in green leafy foods like spinach.

My doctor didn't seem concerned as long as my bloodwork looked okay.

The best to you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a guy and I once got unexplained bruising from even the smallest bump to the skin like dropping a small nailbrush on my foot in the shower or handmarks on my arm from wrestling with my son. Eventually had a battery of blood tests which indicated NSAID use. Argued with the the physician as I definetly do not use anti-inflammatory tablets or similar as even soluble or buffered Aspirin causes me indigestion/heartburn and I had not taken anything in years.
More tests for blood clotting factors and blood clotting time showed I had a serious problem and my physician insisted I stopped cycling as he feared I could bleed to death in the case of an accident. Problem as I was on my way to Worlds in Nice France.
My wife and I put our heads together to try and figure this out and when she told me she had minor small bruises but also breakthrough bleeding anytime in her cycle we looked at diet etc and any other factors that were common to both of us.
Culprit was Arnica Oil which she was massaging me with daily due to huge training load and a tight hamstring and lower back problem.
We had no idea untill I "googled" Arnica and came up with some serious adverse effects.
Note: The oil was "full strength" and not a homeopathic strength which should not cause the same problem.
We immediately stopped the use of the oil and switched to a plain carrier oil and both our problems cleared up.

http://www.speedsnakecoaching.com
Quote Reply