Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cortisone shot tomorrow, hope I can travel Thursday - posted this in general forum also
Quote | Reply
I would prefer to hear any tips you may have, albeit I am sure there are loads of horror stories out there.
I had an MRI last Wednesday and it was determined, that in order to get some relief from pain (10/10 scale at night), a cortisone injection in my neck would help. The issue(s) is at C5,6,7 and causing horrible radiating pain down my left arm.
My injection is scheduled Tuesday afternoon, and we fly to London from Boston on Thursday night....spend an entire day in London touring the city and then fly on to Cape Town.
I've never taken any meds stronger than Advil, so my little evening trips on Vicodin have been quite the ride. Having said that, I am doing this as a last resort so that I can travel on a trip of a lifetime with my family.
Happy Holidays!

Kat Donatello
2015 Betty Designs Team
RD, The Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival
http://www.pumpkinmantriathlon.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cortisone shot tomorrow, hope I can travel Thursday - posted this in general forum also [giddy-up-n-go] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no advice for you, but I really hope it helps you and that you are able to enjoy your vacation. I've had back problems where nerves have been pinched and it's absolutely debilitating. Wishing you the best of luck with it all.
Quote Reply
Re: Cortisone shot tomorrow, hope I can travel Thursday - posted this in general forum also [giddy-up-n-go] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had cortisone in my hip, and it didn't cause any traveling trouble. Neck + plane flights sounds like a bit more of a challenge - I'd make sure you have good neck pillow options. Good luck!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should help. Ask your doc for enough vicodin to get thru your vacation and also ask if an oral steroid might help, as they often do or at least if you can get an RX for some oral steroids if you need them. (I'm an orthopedic surgeon so I am not just throwing random info out at you ) Hope you feel better and get to enjoy your trip :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like your pain is "radicular", that is, it is from irritation of the nerve roots, and not from musculoskeletal issues. Vicodin and other narcotics are typically not a great thing for nerve pain. Ask your doctor about using a different kind of medication, like gabapentin, that work by modulating nerve signals. The cortisone shot will help, however, that is an extremely long flight in a very short time, so expect that you will be in discomfort.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Received the shot at 10:30am, feeling relaxed and took a nap. Finger's crossed. Doc said something funny, while I was laying down,,,,
"gosh, I love treating athletes....they're almost see thru."
Not sure if should take it as a compliment or what, but it lightened the mood as I was super nervous!

Kat Donatello
2015 Betty Designs Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read about mine here. There's some entertaining stuff in there too.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25

I just had a second round if shots on Friday. C5/6 and C6/7. I went surfing today.

Don't not expect relief right away. Wednesday you will probably feel like crap. Thursday will be better.

Get help carrying your luggage.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Cortisone shot tomorrow, hope I can travel Thursday - posted this in general forum also [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually ran 40 minutes! The insertion point hurts, but not my arm!

Kat Donatello
2015 Betty Designs Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd call it a compliment. Glad you're doing well.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply