Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Contact Lense Drying Help
Quote | Reply
There is thread in the main forum I've been monitoring on sunglasses hoping I'd get help with my issue but so far no luck, and since I didn't want to hijack anyone's thread and figured I may find other women with similar issue thought I'd post here for some help. I have a problem where my contact lenses dry out (bad) when I ride in the aero position (don't have the issue when I ride my road bike). I currently wear Oakley half-jacket sunglasses. I bought them a couple years ago after trying on a ton of different glasses because they were the only ones that fit my face (small). I like them, but obviously they are not optimal for riding when aero, so am hoping some of you have suggestions for new glasses for me? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Contact Lense Drying Help [ADDGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi AddGirl!

I had the same problem w/ my contacts...it was the worst when one would dry out and actually fall out of my eye onto the inside of my glasses on a descent! I dislike contacts in general (mainly 'cause they're a pain in the ass, not necessarily a pain in the eye), so last year I decided to liberate myself. I got some Rudy Project sunglases w/ an optical insert. I love this option, because it allows you to wear normal glasses with interchangeable lenses (buying multiple sets of prescription lenses would've been SO expensive, especially because I always scratch/crack them!). Paired with some prescription goggles, I was race-racing without contacts! Check out the Rudy Project website to read about optical inserts. Great stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too wear contacts and have had similar issues in the past - what really helped me was findng a frame with good coverage. Currently, I wear Oakley M-Frame with the Hybrid S lens. I love them becasue when I am areo, I am not getting light (air) filtering in over the top. But if you go with a different shape lens, you might get even greater coverage. They might not be the most "pretty" glasses to be racing in, but I don't care as long as they help me race without distraction. Here's the link to fames and lens choices: http://oakley.com/mframe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I, too, ride with contacts and have had the same problem before. I recently switched to "Acuvue Oasis" based on my optometrist's recommendation. They are supposedly designed for doing sports and also for those who have to stare to their monitors for many hours a day. I would say I feel significantly more comfortable wearing them both when riding and when working with my computer compared to my previous ones. I also haven't had any dryness issues so far.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." Oscar Wilde
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've lost contacts in races (IM Florida, and Honu HIM) on the bike, and a lot in training on the bike. I've tried just about every type of glasses out there and still have problems. Some days it's just fine, some days it's awful (one of these days I'm going to get PRK since I can't get lasik). The strange thing is I've never lost a contact when I'm riding without glasses, so I don't think it's caused by poor fitting sunglasses (at least for me).
Quote Reply
Re: Contact Lense Drying Help [byrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sunglasses with better coverage is what I was thinking would help, but the problem is I can't find one that also fits me (small head/face I guess :P ). I tried that model but didn't fit. Thanks for the suggestion though! Any others?
Quote Reply
Re: Contact Lense Drying Help [ACTN3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info--I don't know why I never thought it might be my brand of contacts. I will have to check into those. Unfortunately I am 3 months into a 1 year supply of my current brand, but may go to my eye dr. to see if I can get a trial pair of those you mention. He's usually pretty good about that kind of stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear my 1/2 jackets for running and my M-Frames for riding. I've tried contacts for the last 3 months and they drive me up the wall. Personally, if you can afford to get Rx sunglasses go for it and don't ride with the contacts. I will have to try and get Rx sunglasses when I can't figure out what my 305 is trying to tell me, which will be soon I'm sure.

N~
Quote Reply