Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Compression hose
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I like to wear compression socks all day after a long run. Unfortunately, if it's a work day, they don't look so professional!

Just ran across a product that is a compression stocking, but looks like panty hose. Anyone tried this? Do the thigh-highs stay up? Looks like it could work with a skirt.

Oleander
Quote Reply
Re: Compression hose [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure which ones you're looking at, but I had to wear thigh-high compression stockings after a DVT episode. They definitely were not skirt-friendly--although they stayed up, they were way too thick and looked completely hideous. Since I had to wear them for a year, it was my excuse to purge skirts from my work wardrobe. ;-) But, mine were "prescription strength" (maybe 40-50 mm Hg, whatever that means), so maybe ones with less compression wouldn't be so bad? If you buy some, probably best to make sure they can be returned. Lots of time, those type of items can't be.
Quote Reply
Re: Compression hose [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ones I saw in person were 15-20 mm HG. They looked almost like normal hose.

Also saw (online) lots in the 30 mm range.

I don't know if either of those ranges offers a lot of compression. That's a whole other question.

Oleander
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think 15-20 mm HG is probably close to the compression you get with most of your standard tri-brand compression socks. 30 mm would definitely be more, but probably a little thick to wear with nice clothes. Let us know if you try either option.
Quote Reply
Re: Compression hose [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
15-20mm hg is what I wear for recovery after long runs/long skis. PT friends say this is all the athlete needs. I don't usually wear skirts to work but the knee high ones are very comfortable for everyday work wear.....I have biege and black. Definitely worth it and fairly resonable from the local pharmacy without the brand names!
Last edited by: Tokogirl: Nov 1, 10 22:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey oleander!!
I havenknee-high compression socks from the pharmacy. I train and recover in them. I prefer them to the sports ones, especially for recovery -also, I am about 1200 miles from the nearest store that might sell the sports ones. Anyways, they are nice and thin and look like regular stockings.
I am sure you can rock some black thigh-high ones. Or, you could go with the knee-highs and pull off the naughty catholic school girl look! The sports ones just look kind of ridiculous out of context... I wish they made them look like rugby socks or something more obviously universally sporty. I have to wear them due to a bad vein. I can't wait until Sheilah Moon or SkirtSports does something more fun with compression socks, since I am stuck with them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It's tough to beat CEP though -- regardless of how they look. I've tried them all and CEP rock!

They do come in pink. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 tricks I have picked up - for me it is often my hamstrings and quads that need compression and spanx work amazingly well for that! I even got their 'pants' that have the built in compression and they are my go to after long rides for work!

Onehanesplace.com has trouser socks with compression in different colors that work great for calves.
Quote Reply
Re: Compression hose [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spanx-super idea!

also-please! this wearing around of compression socks with shorts pre IM race week is something that must stop!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful with wearing compression garments for too long. You can actually weaken you natural mechanisms (assuming you are healthy) and muscles in your legs that help pump blood back to your heart. Put them on after activity for a bit and then take them off and let your body take care of itself.

I tried the socks when they first came out years ago and maybe I'm just lazy but, if I work out as hard as I'm supposed to to get fast, I don't have the energy to get those silly things on!
Quote Reply