Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Compression Clothing for Women, Ideas?
Quote | Reply
I normally would just post on the tri-forum but thought I'd try here 1st. There has been all this buzz on compression clothing. I am very interested in the compression for recovery and keeping a still recovering from quad muscle getting tight. I'd like to get some but not sure what. I've searched though the forum but it all seems to be all guys. I've been in triathlon since 84 & now at 55 recovery, tight muscles etc have just started to become an issue. I've raced HIM & IM even a couple of IMH in a 2 piece but unfortunately with "age" as come some extra fat that is IMO unattractive no matter how fit I might be so I think those days are gone.

I'm a bit confused as to compression vs trishorts vs bike shorts. Haven't we been in "tight fitting" clothing since the early days. Are folks abandoning trishorts & going to compression shorts etc to race in just train in or for recovery? I see tights but not sure when/if I would use them alone & they would be to warm be worn under something. Most of the clothing looks great on a younger triathlete but is there really anything that is age appropiate for older fit women. Some people I see out there training on the neighborhood streets need something less revealing especially those 50+. I'm certainly not rudish but I don't want to look like that.

What if anything are you using? Are you wearing compression items under clothing for? I don't really want that as I get to warm racing. Are you wearing the same thing for both the bike & run in HIM or IM length events? I bought a pair of the osymx calf length socks for running & really like them but above 55 degrees they are too warm. I would like to find something cooler for running in. Any use the calf compression sleeves? I have been looking unsuccessfully for a thihg compression sleeve. I also seen the new jag.. shorts from Australia with the removable chamois pad. Has anyone tried those?

I've usually changed to run shorts for an IM run. For a HIM I usually use the same shorts. I prefer 2 pieces to use facilities in an IM & change to a lighter top for the run. Although another new aging issue no matter how many kegels is the irritating leakage problem that can come up during a run. Fabric can only take so much of that abuse. I also like something with a small pocket & really sick of black (heat attracting) after nearly 25 years in the sport.

Any thoughts, suggestions before I spend $$$ for functional, practical & maybe even fashionable?
Thanks,

Barb

Also I am doing IMLou which will be a non wetsuit swim. What are suggestion for what to swim in & then go on to bike in. A speedsuit over the cycling gear. Swimming in a pad?
Quote Reply
Re: Compression Clothing for Women, Ideas? [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got a pair of the forza tri short from desoto. It claims to have a ribbed lycra power fabric. It seems like these shorts have a touch more compression-type stuff going on than my old desoto tri shorts. You might see if you can try a pair of those on and see if they'll fit the bill.

A friend of mine doing IMLou is contemplating a speed suit over her tri wear for the swim portion. I suggested maybe she try it out in the pool to see what's faster. That question isn't so critical for me as a. I'm doing IMLP, b. I'm MOP anyway, so what's a few seconds in an IM swim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my long runs, I try to wear my CW-X Expert Shorts (in warm weather) or Expert Tights (cold weather). I swear they help; there is a huge difference in how I feel the next day. Don't size up; they are supposed to be tight.

This year I'll be doing my first IM. Unless someone can convince me that there is a tri short that is as compressive as my CW-X short, I'll be changing into that CW-X short for the marathon.

I wouldn't exactly call the CW-X shorts flattering - they have that "superhero" look - but I wouldn't call them unflattering, either. They are not low-cut in the waist and do not seem to cause the sausage look in the legs either. (The shorts come down nearly to your knees. They definitely cover your quad muscle if that is your issue.)

I sometimes wear the CW-X tights for long rides, too - scooting some padded bike shorts over them. Very comfortable.

CW-X has some even higher-end stuff (Stabylix and Pro tights/shorts) that I've never tried because they are just so darn expensive. The Expert tights/shorts seem extra-supportive so I can't imagine how much better the higher end stuff is?

I also wear compression socks after my long runs and sometimes after long rides.

I never got the point of wearing compression stuff up top (bras or shirts). If someone has tried those I'd be curious how you think they've helped (or not).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Barb,

The compression fabric is actually very different from the nylon/lycra blends that we have been wearing since 1984 (haha I started tri's same time as you did, minus one year 1983). It does have properties that supposedly provide more support to your muscles to help prevent muscle fatigue. I only have used the compression socks when flying half way around the world to international locations for business, and they really work great. I can imagine how great this method would be if applied to tri shorts or bike shorts.

I think if you are serious about compression clothing, you should talk to Emilio De Soto and have them make you something if they don't have stock clothing in the style you want. He has fabulous customer service and great products. If you like the two piece idea, have him make you the kind of shorts you need. You can get something with a light padding that you can wear for the swim/bike/run. You don't want to wear bike shorts for your swim, yuck, it's what I imagine a wet diaper would feel like. Too much drag and too thick and uncomfortable.

For IM Lou, unless you plan to compete for top five in your age group, I would wear a speedsuit only for the swim and then change into your bike/run shorts. It won't take much time in transition and it will optimize your comfort.

Just my thoughts.
BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Compression Clothing for Women, Ideas? [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like they haven't changed their fit. i have a pair of the CW-X tights and the fit is strange. I much prefer the DeSoto power shorts (or whatever they are called now). I use them for the bike and the run for a 1/2 IM, though I sometimes change to running shorts for a full IM.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply