Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Complicated Laparoscopy -- Recovery?
Quote | Reply
I had what turned about to be complicated laparoscopic surgery on Friday. Major scar tissue from a C-section was removed. I won't give you all of the nasty details, but I was told by one of two surgeons who worked on me for 4 hours that they had never seen anything like it. I am wondering if anyone who is an athlete has had this type of surgery (particularly to remove adhesions) and how long it took to come back safely. In particular, I want to go back to normal exercise and training, but do not want to do anything to promote new scar tissue forming, which I understand is a very big risk. I am following my doctor's advice, but would be interested in anecdotal information as to how long others have remained out after this type of surgery.

By the way, ladies with C-Sections, watch out for this problem. It is very hard to diagnose.
Quote Reply
Re: Complicated Laparoscopy -- Recovery? [Mom2Sean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have any advice for you but I just want to wish you well and I hope you heal quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Complicated Laparoscopy -- Recovery? [Mom2Sean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No advice here...QUESTIONS...I had a nasty scar from my 1st c-section and during my 2nd they cut it out. Now the 2nd isn't great. So what were your symptoms? Was this something painful or just ugly outside and felt 'thick' inside?

Quote | Reply
My partner had a laparoscopy to remove an ovary. She was in a lot pain for a couple days, but was able to bike about 10 days afterwards and ran within a month. She was pretty surprised at how quickly she came back.

I don't know if this is at all similar, but thought I'd chime in. PM me if you want to get in touch with her yourself and best of luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Complicated Laparoscopy -- Recovery? [leslieW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did have a lump over my scar from my c-section. They kept telling me it was normal. However, I had a lot of pelvic pain, especially when I ran. I also had a lot of other soft tissue problems with my hips -- hamstrings, glutes and hip flexors. I now realize those problems were related to the scar tissue that had formed inside. Not to be too graphic, but when the surgeons got in there, they found that my uterus had herniated through the layer of tissue that separates it from the abdominal muscles and abdominal wall. It had adhered itself with tons of scar tissue to the rectus abdominal muscle and abdominal wall. They had to dissect it all during the surgery. They now have told me that the "lump" was my uterus. I think my other muscles were compensating for a total failure of my ab muscles to work properly. Apparently, as an athlete, I lacked a layer of fat that would have acted as a buffer and may have prevented or at least minimized some of the problem. I can tell you that it explains 7 years of pain since I had my son. After an Ironman race, my abdomen literally would look swollen and I would just want to put an ice bag on it. It was a "mystery pain" that did not show up in any diagnostic testing -- i had x-rays, MRIs, CT scans, ultrasounds; you name it, I had it. All tests came back normal. Needless to say, I had to be extremely persistent to get to the bottom of this, since the tests showed nothing was wrong.
Quote Reply