Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cold Water Wetsuit Suggestions
Quote | Reply
I'm doing IM CDA next month which tends to be a pretty cold (56 degree) and rough swim and I tend to be particularly susceptible to getting really cold in the water. Any suggestions on warm wetsuits and/or tips for staying warm in the cold water? I wear the booties and neoprine cap already.

My average IM swim time is 1hr 20 min.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Water Wetsuit Suggestions [IMLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wetsuits are all pretty much the same for thickness since there are rules that govern it. Booties and cap may or may not be legal on race day. I hate swimming in cold water and my IMCdA time was painfully slow. My best advice is to get into cold water and get used to how it will feel before you get there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of people that swim in SF Bay (54-55 deg) wear wax earplugs underneath their neoprene caps to help keep the cold water out of the ear canal. I tried it once and did it helpful, but definitely recommend trying it first in training, as it was a little unnerving to not be able to hear as well. Also, make sure your wetsuit fits well. If it's too big, you'll let in too much water and your body heat won't be enough to warm up the layer of water.

I didn't know CDA was so cold! Good luck!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're stuck with what's available for triathlon and they're all the same thickness in general. I have a 7 mm cold water scuba diving wetsuit. It would be toasty, but there is no way you'd ever want to try doing a triathlon in it.

56 F is cold BTW. Not so much on your body under the tri wetsuit, but I found it was on my hands/feet/face when I've done them.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Water Wetsuit Suggestions [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did IM CDA a few years ago and nearly froze to death. I was wearing 2 caps and an extra thick (brand new) wetsuit. I contemplated going back a year later to do that race again and began researching how to survive cold water swims, however, I never cared for that race (or the super cold water) so I didn't go back. When I was looking into the cold water swims I read somewhere that acclimitization helps (try to get in cold water swims in advance of the race), pouring warm water into your wetsuit before getting in the water (not sure about this one), booties, neoprene cap and drinking warm liquids before swimming (not sure about this either).

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Water Wetsuit Suggestions [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of that is great advice. I've also had a friend pour warm water into her wetsuit right before she got in the water. I say just pee in it :-)

I think it is very important to get into the water before the race starts. Get your face in there. That is always the most shocking and you want to get over that shock before racing into the water at the start of the cannon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Jen said about getting in and getting your face wet. Your body's natural response is to go into shock a bit and you're likely to have a little bit of breathing trouble at first as your body says WTF?!!!!

Definitely get a neoprene cap.
Earplugs will help too.
You can also get neoprene "wet socks." I've used these in ocean swims and they can help keep your feet from getting less cold (note: did not say "warm")
In the absence of wet socks, I've heard of swimmers putting layers of lard or vasoline (ok maybe not lard but something like it) on skin to help stay warm. Look in "Swimming to Antarctica," Lynn Cox's book. I don't know if I'd want it on my hands (try it first).

Get some cold water swims in beforehand. It will be less of a shock on race day. You also want to know how your body responds.

I did a 10k swim last week in 68* water, no wetsuit, and I imagine 56* with wetsuit would feel about the same :P

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply