Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clothing and bras recs for plus size/well endowed newbie
Quote | Reply
Hi all. First post here. I'm Laya. :)

So here's the thing: I'm around a 14/16 dress size, and I have breasts that are individually bigger than my head. I'm doing my first sprint tri in August (Iron Girl Columbia), and I'm looking for some help with finding a good bra and with what I should wear.

Currently I double up on sports bras. I wear this one in a 40HH (I believe, possibly an H): http://www.figleaves.com/...HH~&colour=White

and then layer it with an old sports bra left over from my fitness class phase. And even that isn't always foolproof - today, while running at around 80% top speed, my girls kept trying to run away from me. It got so bad that I ended up cutting my intervals short. That'll teach me to a) have my band too loose and b) not do a jump test. But I digress.

For my race, I'm not sure what to do. It's pretty much guaranteed to be a no wetsuit race. Do I get a trisuit (and will it fit me)? One piece or separate? Do I wear my sports bras under the suit? And if they get wet and don't dry, do I just suck it up?

Shock Absorber makes a swimsuit with a built in bra that's pretty much like the bra at the link above, as well as a tankini w/bra and boy shorts rather than a standard swim bottom. Would that possibly be a better option, that I could double that with my existing bra and just throw bike shorts over it?

Thanks all for your help!
Quote Reply
Re: Clothing and bras recs for plus size/well endowed newbie [Goldie Brawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
For my race, I'm not sure what to do. It's pretty much guaranteed to be a no wetsuit race. Do I get a trisuit (and will it fit me)? One piece or separate? Do I wear my sports bras under the suit? And if they get wet and don't dry, do I just suck it up?

I'd try on a trisuit, both one and two-piece, and then pick whichever one you feel better in. And yes, wear the sports bras under the tri suit. I had to do this. You'll be much more comfortable.

And Body Glide before the race. That way if they don't dry out like they should, you'll have less chafing.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Clothing and bras recs for plus size/well endowed newbie [Goldie Brawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doubling up is about the only option for anyone bigger than a D. I have a friend that's maybe a DDD and she wears the Ennell (sp?)

Look on Title 9's bounce section, I think they carry them and their barbell rating is pretty accurate.

Good luck and have a great race!

(and welcome to the Womens)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm smaller than you (I'm about a size 10), but I've also got problems with the girls.

Under Armour makes a sports bra that's really supportive. It's the pullover cross back style and it's pretty heavy duty, and it wicks moisture so it doesn't feel soggy. They make the same model with a front zipper, but it's not as supportive.

I wear either a one piece tri suit or a kit, with the bra underneath it. I wear the bra on the swim so I'm not flashing people in T1 to put on a bra. Because of the wicking, I don't feel all that wet, but halfway through the bike I'm soaked so it doesn't really matter.

Even if the bra didn't wick, I'd still wear it. I'd rather be soggy than flop around.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regardless of how supportive a bra claims to be - I still double up. I second the Title 9 (I bought a Moving Comfort bra from them and love it!!) and Under Armour bras (my UA bra has really nice 'padding' in the shoulders) recommendations.

Tri outfits - I don't have a one piece tri outfit because of the double bra issue - but I've never tried one on either. The ones I always find in the stores, in my size, have the built in bras which don't work for me (petite frame, large girls). So I wear a two piece - the top has a half zip front, I found that if I unzip it halfway down - it 'divides' the girls and prevents the 'uniboob' look.

Welcome to the tri world!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Clothing and bras recs for plus size/well endowed newbie [i-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i-tri wrote:
Regardless of how supportive a bra claims to be - I still double up. I second the Title 9 (I bought a Moving Comfort bra from them and love it!!) and Under Armour bras (my UA bra has really nice 'padding' in the shoulders) recommendations.

Tri outfits - I don't have a one piece tri outfit because of the double bra issue - but I've never tried one on either. The ones I always find in the stores, in my size, have the built in bras which don't work for me (petite frame, large girls). So I wear a two piece - the top has a half zip front, I found that if I unzip it halfway down - it 'divides' the girls and prevents the 'uniboob' look.

Welcome to the tri world!!!
I am an A/B and suggest Moving Comfort or Enell. If it fits you well and offers great support, you may not need to double up on the bras. Having once been your size with a D cup, I would stay away from a tri suit because of the bra issue and you would probably stretch it out trying to put it on.

Quote | Reply
"And Body Glide before the race. That way if they don't dry out like they should, you'll have less chafing."

On that - so do I just put that directly on my skin, under everything else?

http://goldiebrawn.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Clothing and bras recs for plus size/well endowed newbie [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually hadn't looked at Enell for quite a while because I didn't think they made bras in my size, but looking again it seems they've greatly expanded the size options. Thanks for the rec and the welcome!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goldie Brawn wrote:
"And Body Glide before the race. That way if they don't dry out like they should, you'll have less chafing."

Forget the Bodyglide and use KY or Wet Platinum. It works and STICKS, which is what you want and does not need to be reapplied like Bodyglide. Put it around your chest, between your girls, thighs, toes and all other places that you may chafe.

Quote | Reply
Does the Figleaf bra have underwire? I couldn't tell, unless I completely missed it, and I have trouble finding sports bras with underwire, which I find helps control the bouncing a lot. (34E)

Agree that a bra under the trisuit will be necesary. My tri tops don't come close to supporting me.
Quote Reply
Re: Clothing and bras recs for plus size/well endowed newbie [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Shock Adsorber bras don't have underwire, but they do a surprisingly good job keeping me still.

In my searches I've found a couple large size underwire sports bras:

Berlie: http://www.figleaves.com/...34F&colour=Black
Freya: http://www.figleaves.com/...34F&colour=Black and http://www.barenecessities.com/...a4392&search=34E
Mystere: http://www.barenecessities.com/...re320&search=34E
Moving Comfort: http://www.barenecessities.com/...50011&search=34E
Bendon: http://www.barenecessities.com/...76408&search=34E

I haven't tried any yet, but I plan on it. I've had a Freya regular bra before, and it's one of the best bras I've ever owned. It was worth every penny I paid for it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am new to the sport and just did a sprint and oly in my sports bra and compression shorts because I didn't want to go out and buy too much stuff in case I hated it. I didn't and will get a tri suit but why not try that before buying more gear? My sprint was without a wetsuit so I just jumped in bra and shorts. I put on my training top in transition for the bike/run. Last weekend I did an oly with a wetsuit. Again, shorts and bra, put on a top for the bike/swim. Wearing a sports bar is pretty much the same coverage as the bra tops that lots of women women wear anyway. I didn't get any looks from anyone and no chaffing at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the Moving Comfort bra (but in a DD, they didn't have an E at the store (the store said it was unlikely I'd find my size anywhere except online or the States, and I wanted to try the bra on before buying it). I could squeeze into the DD, there's some mild spillage but no big deal, it's mostly covered over by the extra fabric beyond the cups.

Just thought I'd let you know it's great - no bouncing at all, I was really pleased. Did my first run in it today. I think it's probably the most secure sports bra (or bra period, for that matter) I've ever owned. Possibly too b/c I'm squeezed into a size down, but I suspect it would be really secure even at the proper size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laya, you a local? Fleet Feet sports in Gaithersburg does a great job fitting sports bras - if you're within a half hour, why not call them, ask to speak to one of the bra experts, tell them your size & ask if they can fit you - would like to think they'd try....they're also the only folks in the area I've found that sell my favorite under-bra product, boob-eez (headlight concealers)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.enell.com/

The seamstresses at Enell will custom make a bra that fits, if none of their standard sizes will work. Very little money to pay for a custom-made garment. Oprah wore their product for her Chicago Marathon efforts and featured them as a preferred product on her program.

When I was bigger, I wore the bra and it was serious support-far beyond virtually anything else on the market. They make one product; I guess they have to do a better job ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Clothing and bras recs for plus size/well endowed newbie [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Goldie Brawn wrote:

Forget the Bodyglide and use KY or Wet Platinum. It works and STICKS, which is what you want and does not need to be reapplied like Bodyglide. Put it around your chest, between your girls, thighs, toes and all other places that you may chafe.

So now that I've checked out Wet Platinum, have you used it under your wetsuit as well? (Silicone products aren't usually considered safe)

Chafing around my neck and I suppose it would work as a chamois creme, given they offer a GALLON size!?!?!?

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Clothing and bras recs for plus size/well endowed newbie [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
travelmama wrote:
Goldie Brawn wrote:

So now that I've checked out Wet Platinum, have you used it under your wetsuit as well? (Silicone products aren't usually considered safe)

Chafing around my neck and I suppose it would work as a chamois creme, given they offer a GALLON size!?!?!?

Yes I have. I use it all over and have not had a problem removing my suit, with blisters or chafing. I have used samples of the other lubricants but none stick like Platinum. If the site is still offering samples, request some and check them out for yourself, for free.

Quote | Reply
I used some today (for my run) as I was curious how well the WP would work (my partner was like 'you're using that for what?!') and it was fantastic :)
Last edited by: Teags: Jul 17, 11 18:06
Quote Reply
Re: Clothing and bras recs for plus size/well endowed newbie [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also an F and the best bras I have gotten are thru title 9, go with the most barbells (5? i think).. it takes some getting used because there is significantly more material (watch out for chafing, etc), but nothing moves and you can't go wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ladies at our local running club swear by the Moving Comfort sports bra's for high impact... it snaps up the back like a bra does rather than having to pull it over your head (I got bigger girls than other athletes but not as big as some of you ladies) and I hate trying to crank a bra up over my head. I mean really, how is something that is supposed to fit snuggly around your rib cage going to go up over and around your shoulders easily without tearing out your rotator cuff? *lol*

I am an avid cyclist who is also the co-owner and buyer for Low Country Multisport a performance specific F.I.S.T. certified fit studio and repair shop in the beautiful Lowcountry of South Carolina. And, I just happen to be married to a retired Marine who is completely addicted to the iron distance. "lord help my wallet!!"
Quote Reply
Re: Clothing and bras recs for plus size/well endowed newbie [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Teags wrote:
I used some today (for my run) as I was curious how well the WP would work (my partner was like 'you're using that for what?!') and it was fantastic :)

Laughing so hard right now my ribs hurt.....

I am an avid cyclist who is also the co-owner and buyer for Low Country Multisport a performance specific F.I.S.T. certified fit studio and repair shop in the beautiful Lowcountry of South Carolina. And, I just happen to be married to a retired Marine who is completely addicted to the iron distance. "lord help my wallet!!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not bra-obsessed, really, but I have been in serious need of sports bra replacement, so....

I was in my speciality bra shop and happened to ask if they carried sports bras, which I didn't realize they did, and they have the Freya Firm Control bra. I got it (it fits a bit large, does not run true to size I guess - apparently I am a 'true E', whatever that means, and I have a 36D I think for the Freya, so up for the rib cage and down for the cup size).

Pros: Nice support, comfy, good to run in. Edit: Also, does not cause uni-boob, which I loathe.
Cons: Gave me a bit of rash on 16k run but not 8k run (8k run done first). Full disclosure: Did not wash once I got it home from shop so it could have something on the fabric I'm allergic to. Still, just a warning.
Neutrals: The silhouette is a bit....pointy. Think Mad Men (my partner said I looked like Joan). Not a bad thing, just different :)

Hope that helps if you're still looking.
Last edited by: Teags: Jul 25, 11 16:44
Quote Reply