Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chivalry, Etiquette, Whatever you'd like to call it
Quote | Reply
Hey there Womens,

We're having a debate over in the LR about the matter under the thread 'Take your hat off?'

Would ya'll care to weigh in on this as the educated ladies that you are.

Thanks in advance,

Original PV

When someone pulls laws out of their @$$, all we end up with are laws that smell like sh!t. -Skippy
Quote Reply
Re: Chivalry, Etiquette, Whatever you'd like to call it [original PV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I skimmed that...yes totally agree, hats off inside and during anthem.
Personally I also think baseball hats look dumb, unless you are playing baseball! (or running)

There is a scene in the Sopranos where Tony goes over to a young guy in an italian restaurant and makes him take his ballcap off...wish I could remember word for word what he said as it was great...
Quote Reply
Re: Chivalry, Etiquette, Whatever you'd like to call it [original PV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. we are Vancouver Canucks seasons tix holders and we tell some folks, every game there's a few, to take their hats off. Women are usually the worst ("my hair!" I guess), but I take mine off. What annoys me MORE is when people are disrespectful during the anthem - either talking or (worse) booing the other nation's anthem. Completely unacceptable. Keep silent instead. You don't have to clap for the other anthem but you certainly shouldn't boo it.

I'm not even going to touch the "etiquette towards women" part of the thread. I have my own feelings about it, but they are my feelings and have no relevance to anyone other than myself.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Chivalry, Etiquette, Whatever you'd like to call it [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response Miss Pants. Some say women are supposed to keep their hats on so we males aren't distracted by their beauty, I dunno; I think a lot has changed over the years.

The etiquette toward women is what we were hoping to get some personal opinions on though! I personally would like to hear how you feel about the matter individually, if you choose not though, no worries :)

When someone pulls laws out of their @$$, all we end up with are laws that smell like sh!t. -Skippy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care. In the military we didn't take our hats off for the national anthem. I don't think it shows disrespect/respect etc. It's an old 'rule' like not wearing white after labor day, wearing hose, wearing slips, always opening a door for a woman, etc. times change, so does etiquette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding has always been that men remove their hats indoors, whereas women may keep them on. "church rules", if you will...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Chivalry, Etiquette, Whatever you'd like to call it [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Military personnel are not supposed to remove their caps - you can't salute if you are not wearing it, right? ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it should be a discussion about etiquette to other people.

- I hold the door for many men; likewise, I let them hold it for me - no expectations either way
- Half of my staff call me "sir" and it doesn't bother me (as long as they remember who's the boss hee hee)
- I try to stand up when meeting someone/shaking their hand (i.e.: if I'm at my desk)

I work in a male-dominated industry. I have many customers or suppliers who come to our facility and look at me and say "*you're* the operations manager?!?!" and then I shake their hand - firmly - look them in the eye and say "yes, this is my shop floor. do we have an understanding?". Only ever had ONE supplier be a douche-bag about it (an ABS surveyor from Seattle who called me a "bubble-headed bleach blonde" to my face - oh I got a formal letter of apology from him and the US Navy on that one!)

Bottom line it shouldn't matter what gender, it should be about respect for another human being and their capabilities. I give my seat on the bus to a senior because I am more than capable of standing. I don't expect a guy to give up his seat for me.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Chivalry, Etiquette, Whatever you'd like to call it [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha Right On! Slowman called you what??? ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's even funnier is the rationale the surveyor gave for the comment: "well, you're blonde, and you're a diver, have dove the ADS suit, so you're a bubble-head, that's what they call divers in the Navy..."

Riiiiiight. ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Only ever had ONE supplier be a douche-bag about it (an ABS surveyor from Seattle who called me a "bubble-headed bleach blonde" to my face...

Did you tell him about the plane crash with a gleam in your eye?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband was a bubblehead - as far as I know it only refers to the submarine force and those who serve on the subs.
Quote Reply
Re: Chivalry, Etiquette, Whatever you'd like to call it [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2. The older I get the more I don't get the hat thing. I don't see how it's disrespectful or makes one less patriotic than taking it off. Actually the older I get the more I question traditions in general.
Quote Reply
Re: Chivalry, Etiquette, Whatever you'd like to call it [tricat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exactly.... not me ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a military female and obviously don't uncover during the Ntl Anthem while in uniform because we can't salute without being covered - indoors or out. I typically don't wear hats outside of work but when I do I'll uncover during the Ntl Anthem - maybe it's old school but that's what I was taught to do. What bothers me more are the people that continue warming up, walking around, and talking!

And while we are on the topic of etiquette - why is it that I'm one of the few people that actually yells "on your left" during races when I pass someone on the bike. I've almost gotten taken out on multiple occasions by people who decide to pass me without announcing it immediately after I yell "on your left" and start moving over to pass! I thought is was common courtesy and not to mention important for the safety aspect!

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Re: Chivalry, Etiquette, Whatever you'd like to call it [f_ahsile04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo. Bad enough the lack of respect for the anthem, but man, some RACE ETIQUETTE lessons are very overdue in our sport.

When the tri community was small(er), most folks knew each other - familiar faces at most races. Someone did something rude/stupid/against the rules - everyone knew about it. The peer pressure to NOT be a dick was huge. Nowadays, not so much, people are anonymous (to the point of results & pics & trial by internet on ST haha).

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
by his own rationale did you respond....."you have a penis and are clearly thinking with it instead of your noggin soooooo that would make you a......"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey there Womens,

We're having a debate over in the LR about the matter under the thread 'Take your hat off?'

Would ya'll care to weigh in on this as the educated ladies that you are.

Thanks in advance,

Original PV

I hate to date myself, but here goes. The origin of men taking their hats off indoors is based on common sense.

The reason is that women in church pews couldn't and still can't see beyond men's heads covered in hats because they were (and still are) generally taller than women.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Chivalry, Etiquette, Whatever you'd like to call it [f_ahsile04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What bothers me more are the people that continue warming up, walking around, and talking!

I agree with you there. I'm not even an American but I respect the anthem and honour the flag while most everyone else still goes about their business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Bingo. Bad enough the lack of respect for the anthem, but man, some RACE ETIQUETTE lessons are very overdue in our sport.

When the tri community was small(er), most folks knew each other - familiar faces at most races. Someone did something rude/stupid/against the rules - everyone knew about it. The peer pressure to NOT be a dick was huge. Nowadays, not so much, people are anonymous (to the point of results & pics & trial by internet on ST haha).

AP

Dont get me started on my dealings with the TNT woman in Orlando...and you are 100% correct. Ten years ago if you said "on your left" a person would move to their right. Today you say on your left they dont move cause they dont care, they try to speed up or they cant hear you cause they have their iPod on (against the rules). The main forum is full of them, people who dont get it and dont want to get it. We should do everything we can do on race day (or any day) to make sure that everyone around us has a good day (unless you are a cop or race marshal)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Chivalry, Etiquette, Whatever you'd like to call it [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There is a scene in the Sopranos where Tony goes over to a young guy in an italian restaurant and makes him take his ballcap off...wish I could remember word for word what he said as it was great...

Here you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr3mlbv16Cw
Quote Reply