Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Changing Tubular Tires
Quote | Reply
I'm not one to get flats (knock on wood) but need to make sure I'm self-sufficient for IMWI. I'm hoping to race in Zipps, but am having some difficulties getting the tube off (dam*@ adhesive) and than struggling with the last part of pulling the tube back over the rim (lack of strength, c'mon - I'm an endurance athlete). Any tips or tricks?

BTW - I can do it, it just takes some time. But will continue to practice.
Last edited by: i-tri: Sep 4, 09 10:37
Quote Reply
Re: Changing Tubular Tires [i-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As you start to put the tire on, presumably at the valve end, stretch the tire with your hands as you are applying it the rim, working both sides at the same time. It is easiest if you sit down or bend over a bit with the tire kind of in your gut, with 6:00 being at your stomach and 12:00 being the far side from you...you'd start putting it on at 6:00 and slowly work your way around to 12:00, being the side of the wheel furthest away from you, if that makes any sense at all.

I changed one recently at a sprint and had a bit of trouble getting the new tire on. I eventually did and went on my way, but later at home when I was putting a new one on again I had a lightbulb moment and realized I had forgotten to stretch as I applied during the race.

Pre-stretched tires also help a lot too.

Quote | Reply
I agree that if the tires are pre-stretched it's MUCH easier to change a flat. Putting them on is always a struggle, but taking them off can be a little easier if you're willing to trash the tubbie you got the flat in.

I always ride with a razor blade taped to my seatpost (use electrical tape). Then if I flat, I can use the razor blade to cut the tube and tear it off that way, rather than trying to wiggle it loose (there's more to grab a hold of this way).

If you're planning on trying to repair the flat at some point (there are companies you can send them into), then this obviously isn't a great idea! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are easier after they've been stretched.

For a race, I normally take what ever tire is on the back wheel off and put another tire on. The one that has been on the wheel for awhile becomes my spare. It's easy to get on if necessary. I don't have one tire I use as a spare, but 3 tires that are good tires and can be used on the wheels or a stretched spare.

Depending on if you have glue all the way around the rim or a 1 inch section oposite the valve, you can use a razor blade to get the tire off or just tug.

Good luck.
Quote Reply