Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chafing
Quote | Reply
I've tried several different types of shorts and I always wear chamois cream, but I am still getting some wicked chafing in the same spot on every ride. The spot is where my leg meets my body, right next to where my girl parts begin. There seems to be a permanent sore there now :(. Does this sound like a saddle issue? Anyone else get rubbed the wrong way on that spot too? Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Chafing [LuvCheesecake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it could be a saddle issue. or other stuff.

Also, what are you using for shorts? Do you have any lightly padded, threadbare , old ones? Those usually help me not chafe or hold me over when I am waiting for a chafe to heal. Loose is key when you are healing -- tight ones will aggravate the issue.

I had quite a bit of pain issues when I started biking; I did not particularly find that loading up on the padding helped avoid pain/chafing. I have the right saddle now, and I use a basic pair of lightly padded shorts (the Terry low riders - according to terry these are good for a 1-2 hour ride) for all length rides.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never had this problem after three years of riding until recently. Go figure! I have tried new shorts, different brands of shorts, and it's still happening. I'm okay for about an hour of riding and then the discomfort begins, ending with red chafing. Lately I've been slapping a big thick glob of Vaseline on the area and it seems to protect during the ride. I also move my butt around in the saddle when I start to feel it. I usually ride every other day as opposed to two days in a row and this also helps with healing. Good luck and post if you get some new ideas that work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try Aquaphor it seems to have a bit more staying power than Vaseline. I'm a fan of tri shorts for the tri bike. Sometimes less is more when it comes to padding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried tri shorts, lightly padded bike shorts, and heavily padded bike shorts. I like the idea of tri shorts, since that's what I wear in my shorter races, but they are no better than the padded bike shorts. I'm doing LP in July and I plan on changing shorts in T2 so I will probably wear bike shorts on the bike.
I'm going to put my road saddle on my tri bike tonight and see if that is any different. I'd like to try other saddles but I don't want to buy (another) one until I know I like it!
Thanks for everyone's comments...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi, at the risk of sounding like I am on the payroll at Terry...are you aware that terry has a 30 day trial policy with saddles? That worked for me.

(incidentally, i buy most of my gear at team estrogen b/c they have better sale prices....but some things you just can't mess around with , I get my basic shorts there and my saddles!)

I hope you get some relief. Incidentally, if you have tried everything else such as vaseline, chamois butter, Aquaphor...you could try a go-round with some azulene oil or veg oil. Also, keep a careful eye on whatever waxing techniques you are using, that is a factor as well.

HTH

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, and best of luck in LP!!!!!!! May saddle sore be the worst of it!!!! :-))))))

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote Reply
Re: Chafing [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, it sounds like I may have a similar problem - it presents itself like an ingrown hair. I usually get it at the beginning of each year when I'm ramping up my riding. For me, it just goes away after a while. Also, looks like I may see you in Lake Placid! I'll be there too! yay!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There seems to be a permanent sore there now[/quote]
Last year my wife was experiencing the same type of chafing while riding her road bike and the problem was somewhat exacerbated by her tt/tri bike (expecially severe when it was hot/humid) and the resolution was resolved with several items to include better riding shorts, but was mainly related to issues with proper bike fit/cleat alignment. Of course the solution was complicated by the fact that my wife has the most highly calibrated knees of anyone I know as she can tell when her saddle is even 1mm to high Smile. She also cants her knees into the frame at the top of the pedal stroke - the right knee more so than the left such that it can and did very quickly wear through the material on the right side of her saddle - and she would get exactly the same type of chafing/saddle sores as you descirbed (looks like a lump/cyst).

At 5'8" you would think she could ride 172.5mm cranks but with relatively short legs compared to her torso, I opted to swap out her cranks for 170s. Next, when she was riding in a straigh line, her upper body tended to be positioned more like she was cornering and after adding/positoning a couple wedges to one of her shoes to account for a slight leg length discrepancy, this is no longer the case. Finally, we tried several chamois creams and while we both like Assos, it does not last long when riding and is more for after care but she did find that Dermatech's 'Crotch Guard' (http://www.dermatect.com/...hguard.php?item_id=5) lasted quite a bit longer than other products and except for the hotest days, has all but eliminated her issue with chafing/saddle sores. At this point other than the physical challenges of riding (aka wind and hills), she is a very happy camper but I observe that despite no more problems with chafing, the evidence of the problem still remains in the area in question which I can only surmise this is residual scar tissue. I can't help wonder what can be done to reduce and/or eliminate that but for some reason suggestions concerning applying acetone or seeing a dermatolgist for an application of nitrogen don't go over too well! Laugh

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same exact issue in the same place. I haven't gotten it to completely go away yet but a few things have helped some for me--I'm interested to see what happens as I'm training for my first IM this year and things will get longer on the bike than before.

First, it gets better as I ride more often. Next, I only wear tri shorts now--and wear ones that don't have seams on the inner leg and have gusseted seams inside. Shebeest is so far my favorite. I bodyglide me and I also rub bodyglide along the seams in the crotch area on my shorts before I put them on. Then, I add a layer of Assos to my skin before I head out. I tried a bunch of saddles last summer--I'm not 100% sold on it yet but the best one so far, that I'm still using, is the Blackwell Flow.

When it's hot and humid (like all the time here), I periodically get off the saddle a bit and let the wind "flow". That seems to help cool things off a bit too.

Good luck! If you figure out a solution, please pass it along!
Quote Reply
Re: Chafing [Nemostrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have the same exact issue in the same place. I haven't gotten it to completely go away yet but a few things have helped some for me--I'm interested to see what happens as I'm training for my first IM this year and things will get longer on the bike than before.

First, it gets better as I ride more often. Next, I only wear tri shorts now--and wear ones that don't have seams on the inner leg and have gusseted seams inside. Shebeest is so far my favorite. I bodyglide me and I also rub bodyglide along the seams in the crotch area on my shorts before I put them on. Then, I add a layer of Assos to my skin before I head out. I tried a bunch of saddles last summer--I'm not 100% sold on it yet but the best one so far, that I'm still using, is the Blackwell Flow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am suffering a similar fate training for my first IM this year... I have had fairly decent luck switching to Descent tri shorts for moderate rides and wearing bike shorts for longer rides. The chafing and sore for me seems to be exacerbated by anything that stays "wet" like Vaseline.

So, as EMBARRASSING (don't we all love the "personal care" aisle at Walgreens?) as it sounds to purchase: Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder - Gel. Goes on like a gel, dries like a powder. I wear it pretty much always.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine was a saddle issue. I used to have constant saddle sores when I was riding over 2 hours, regardless of the shorts. I switched to a very narrow saddle and haven't gotten another sore in two years.

http://www.specialized.com/...oduct.jsp?spid=36918 (in the 130mm width)
Quote Reply
Re: Chafing [TuckerGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing the info. I have a sample of that stuff, (I believe it came ina race bag, they know they have a target market), I will try it.

To the next poster, I also switched to a narrower saddle and got much relief.
Quote Reply