Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Celiac Disease and Skin [erichollins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I can't wait to try these!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Celiac Disease and Skin [swimbikerunski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a recipe, b/c we have a person who is allergic to tree nuts in our household. I am not sure if I mentioend these ready-made bars in another post, but there is a kind called CrispyCat that are handy and taste so good you might not mind paying the big bucks for them (unlike the Enjoy Life ones which are a little like particle board).

In celiac literature I have seen several recipes for homemade granola bars, I don't think it's real hard to do. In the past few years, certain oats have been made "legal" (heh heh), that might help too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had DH for almost 20 years, for about 10 I took a low dose of Dapsone and watched my diet. Some people report some problems with dapsone, but I didn't have any. Now I just watch what I eat, and I'm fortunate and can cheat a little without to much trouble. I'll still take dapsone maybe 2 weeks a year, sometimes if we travel, or in the peak of summer, when it's just tough to eat right and get the rash to clear up with the heat and humidity.

For training I like Hammer Nutrition, as most of the products I use are Gluten free.

For social, you just pick and choose. Lots of pizza places make no-dough pizzas, salad, sandwiches without the bread, eggs/bacon for breakfast, it's not as hard as it sounds once you get use to it

I thought the only way to diagnose was a biopsy, but that was a long time ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know if it's been answered yet but the condition is called Dermatitis Herpetiformis. My father and I both suffer from it, and believe me when you break out with this crap, you very much suffer. It's a gluten intolerance that results in a severe skin eruption that itches and burns to the point of insanity.

Quote | Reply
Yuppers. That sounds just like me. I've gone back on the glue for 6wks until they do a biopsy. My skin was clearing up quite nicely while being off teh glute although I do look like I was beaten up by mosquitos. Skin isn't quite as itchy this time, but I definitely have GI problems.
Thanks so much all for words of advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more word of advice, educate yourself on the hidden forms of gluten, read labels on everything and you will be surprised. Modified food starch is almost always wheat flour used to thicken many things from soups to salad dressings to god knows what, problem is it might also be corn starch but you really have now way of knowing that without contacting the maker of the product. Restaurants, if you are thinking about ordering that big bowl of chowder or chili etc. have the waitress ask the chef what they use to thicken it. You will also be surprised at how many food service people have no idea what gluten is and where it is found, therefore you must be educated on the stuff. My friend and I went into a well know bagel shop one day and she told the manager they should look into a gluten free recipe, he proceeded to tell her their bagels are already gluten free, that they are made with wheat flour. Uh, okay.

Last edited by: thetodd: Apr 19, 09 18:59
Quote Reply
Re: Celiac Disease and Skin [thetodd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL that reminds me of a little conversation I had recently.

"I can't eat that, I'm gluten intolerant. I can't eat anything made from wheat, rye or barley."
"But, you could eat the bread I make!"
"You make gluten free bread?"
"Yes!"
"Ok, what kind of flour mix do you use?"
"Regular flour of course..."
"Uh, dude, that means it isn't gluten free."
"What do you mean? I'm not adding any gluten!"
*I bang my head against a brick wall for a few seconds*
"Dude, gluten is already in the flour. It's the protein in wheat, rye and barley. If you use anything based off those things, it's got gluten in it."
"Are you sure?"

I wanted to ask him if he kept a jar of gluten next to the salt or something. I mean, wow.

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Re: Celiac Disease and Skin [Sabrekitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I just wanted to add my quick comments. I've been Celiac since I was born and have been doing tris for 4 yrs now.

I have to bring all of my own... everything for races. I bring gluten free bagels or english muffins (the Kinnikinnick tapioca english muffins are the best breakfast food I've EVER had) and actually bring a toaster to the hotel with me. People look at me crazy but honestly - do I care?! It's just a $10 toaster from WalMart that I wouldn't cry over losing it. So there's my race morning breakfast.

For races yes I carry all of my nutrition with me. Usually it's Clif Shot Bloks and GUs. During my first marathon I experimented with a fuel belt but it was so bouncy I carried the dang thing for 26 miles. LOL I didn't mind! I actually prefer to carry something in a race, I'm weird like that :)

Post race I have had quite a learning curve. For some reason I assume (and idiotically still do) that they will have SOMETHING I can eat. Some fruit, some nuts... something. But I've learned that I NEED to bring my own stuff because after, say, a marathon or a 70.3 you need to eat something fairly immediately. So this year I will arm my cheering section with post-race food so I'm not disappointed that all I can eat is Starburst or something (which happened once).

Also here is an amazing gluten free food blog that will give you TONS of ideas for great-tasting recipies. Good luck!
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Celiac Disease and Skin [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
For races yes I carry all of my nutrition with me. Usually it's Clif Shot Bloks and GUs. During my first marathon I experimented with a fuel belt but it was so bouncy I carried the dang thing for 26 miles. LOL I didn't mind! I actually prefer to carry something in a race, I'm weird like that :)
Tuck things like gels and energy bars into your shorts leg. Assumes you're wearing lycra of course. As modeled by Evan and James

Works very well for cycling, less so for running. The sleeve can also be used, but is less secure.

"Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. Step 2: There is no step 2." - Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I try to always remember to bring something for post race, but honestly I get so busy sometimes I don't manage to get that one last thing packed. For my first 50K I grabbed some GF lunch meat and a bag of chips to set in the car, but for most events the best I remember is maybe a package of KaMe rice crackers. I'm trying to be better about that.

For race nutrition though, oh yeah I carry my own! I'll cheerfully run with a full camelback and fill the pockets of it with gu and such. I may look like a pack mule to the "not even a water bottle in my hand" crowd, but I don't care. I have my gu, I have hydration when I need it, and my speed isn't competitive with the top runners anyway. I'll keep the "handicap" thankyouverymuch, it keeps me from finding nothing but pretzels that will poison me for nutrition. What I'm juggling with now is what to carry for my next 50K. I need more salt intake than gu provides for that kind of distance/effort, and especially as the temperatures go up. A pill-bottle of sea salt is one option, but I'm sure there must be other ways. At least on the 50K races, there's usually salt-dipped potato slices to eat on.

(on a semi-related note, my current weak spot is gluten free chocolate chip cookies. Mmmmm! I must avoid them or I'll turn back into a bloated warthog!)

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm gluten intolerant and had DH (as well as GI symptoms). The rash goes away when you remove gluten from the diet. Went undiagnosed for many, many years, so my scars remain. It's really awful.

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
and actually bring a toaster to the hotel with me. http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

Toaster - Best thing ever for gluten free bread... Fried ham (left over from a holiday meal usually) on toasted bread with mayo, brown mustard, and a little cheese... makes my mouth water...
Quote Reply
Re: Celiac Disease and Skin [Sabrekitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not an ultra runner but I've had good results on long rides with pitted dates (not the kind rolled in oat flour!) and walnuts sprinkled with sea salt.

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Re: Celiac Disease and Skin [aliciap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toaster question-how important is this 'cross contamination' thing? my bf eats regular bread, I am not into the gluten free toast but sometimes toast a GF waffle. Is this a huge deal? what I understand is 'they' tell you avoid it at ALL costs, assuming that its impossible and you will get some, so they say avoid it all. Do we really need to worry about separate toasters? My gastro doesnt seem to know a whole lot and I am seeing a dietician next week as I just got the 'official' diagnosis of celiac.
Quote Reply
Re: Celiac Disease and Skin [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We don't have a toaster and my husband doesn't eat any bread at the house (he's allowed, he just doesn't miss it and eats it when we go out), but I wouldn't use a toaster that's also used w/ gluten containing bread. Any small amount of contamination is bad for me, so that's why I'm super careful about that kind of stuff.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RE: toaster question
It really depends on YOU personally and your individual reaction - everyone is different. Some people's reactions are so severe that a tiny crumb will make them sick for days. I was like this as a child, but not so much as an adult. Some people can 'get away' with bites here and there with no visibal effects.

That being said, obviously the safest thing is to de-gluten-ify your kitchen. People who are extremely sensitive will go so far to buy all new pots and pans, silverware, plates, and I've even heard of someone replacing their granite coutnertops for fear that gluten molecules had seeped into the countertop. I personally think that's a bit over the top, but if that's what eliminated someone's reaction, then it was worth it to them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My energy bar recipe

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter

In microwave 20 secondes at a time and mix until very soft

Add 5 cups gluten free cereals like rice krispies or corn flakes or whatever else

Add 1 1/2 cup dried fruits like raisins, chopped nuts or dates or coconut or whatever you like

Mix well, spread in a 9x12 pan. Let cool, cut in squares, wrap them up and freeze for until you need them.

http://www.arthelenegirard.com/
Painting training always ...
Quote Reply
Re: Celiac Disease and Skin [Sweety] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My energy bar recipe

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter

In microwave 20 secondes at a time and mix until very soft

Add 5 cups gluten free cereals like rice krispies or corn flakes or whatever else

Add 1 1/2 cup dried fruits like raisins, chopped nuts or dates or coconut or whatever you like

Mix well, spread in a 9x12 pan. Let cool, cut in squares, wrap them up and freeze for until you need them.

Sounds yummy!
And not to rain on the parade, but name brand cereals like Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes are not gluten free. They have gluten in the form (usually) of malt or malt flavoring - which is made from barley. I did not know this until a few years ago. Rice Chex is the only name brand cereal I'm aware of that is truly gluten free - they will also soon offer Corn Chex as gluten free. There are, of course, lots of alternative gluten free cereals in the 'natural foods' section or specialty stores, but the name brands like Kellogg or Post definitely contain gluten.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are right. Gluten free cereals . With Popular brans unless they actually say Gluten free we should be careful. :0)

http://www.arthelenegirard.com/
Painting training always ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This isnt about skin, but, I finally went to the dentist today as I have a lot of enamel problems...which is associated with celiac. He told me he had never heard of celiac. When I tried to explain he said=well this isnt caused by eating anything you grind your teeth. THEN he said, get tested for diabetes as your enamel shows signs of that! I thought that was crazy, he totally dismissed celiac, and I have NO signs of diabetes. I guess I figured a dentist would know, as I am recently diagnosed so have been reading a ton of info. It was frustrating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really? Enamel problems? No way...
I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up. Who knew?? It's frustrating when medical proffesionals don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very.

(I don't know how to quote, but this is in reply to the CC question). People's *outward* reaction can vary from crumb to crumb, but every celiac is at risk for subclinical damage from CC. You might not get the runs, but you'll be at a higher risk for lymphoma and lots of other nasty autoimmune diseases, including some that require tube feeding for the balance of your life. No toast is worth that.

Sorry; toughlove. I'm posting this because you have to hear it someplace, and also for those non celiacs who are reading, to know that celiacs are not just fussy, spoiled "when Harry met Sally" type of eaters when they come to your house and ask you what's in the stuff you cooked. It's what they have to do to survive. This aint the Atkins diet, there's no cheating. :-/

www.celiac.com (this link also discusses the connection between celiac and diabetes).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
THEN he said, get tested for diabetes as your enamel shows signs of that! I thought that was crazy, he totally dismissed celiac, and I have NO signs of diabetes.

Interesting. There is some evidence that suggests a link between Celiac and Diabetes, both autoimmune diseases. I don't have it in front of me, but my docs all tell me that.

Just food for thought: Both my mother and sister have BOTH Type 1 Diabetes AND Celiac. I have Celiac and am tested for the Diabetes antibody about every 5 years. My sister was actually diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes through a clinical trial test. She was 31 years old, fit and slender. Very NOT typical; no symptoms.
Quote Reply

Prev Next