Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Celexa
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone is taking or has taken Celexa in the past. Did you have any bad side effects? Did it affect your training? My doc has recommended it for me for depression, but am wary about side effects.

Thanks!
Mel.
Quote Reply
Re: Celexa [spacebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am on Lexapro, which is similar to Celexa but generally considered to have fewer/more mild side effects. (But really, the only way to figure out which med is right for you--if any at all--is kind of trial and error) I am on it for anxiety/panic and OCD, as well as depression.

Once i stabilized, and figured out what dose was right for me, and most of the side effects had cleared up...no, I had no problems with it and my training. The only effect it had was make me able to leave the house so I COULD train. The side effects CAN take a while to go away, though, up to a few months. In the end, the only lasting issues I have had are a decrease in libido (but I already had that form The Pill) and sort of a low-level sinus/allergy type thing. I have not had any real weight issues...but Lexapro is not known for weight gain (although, as far as SSRIs go, Celexa sort of is).

You didn't mention what type of doctor was making the recommendation, but if you haven't seen a therapist/mental health practitioner before trying meds, I would do that. GPs are great, but the only person I would try meds from is a mental health professional. And I would also try and work with them first to see if non-medicinal options existed for treatment (talk therapy, CBT, accupuncture, etc.).

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Celexa [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on Lexapro. Works well for me, no side effects.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not familiar with these particular drugs but something you should ask your doctor about this and anytime a dr prescribes you a medication.

"Dr. if you had my conditions with these symptoms is the medication you are prescribing me the medication you would take?"
Alternatively "Dr. if I was your daughter is the medicine you would prescribe for me?"

The doctor is going to take the best medicine in the class for themselves. They may not prescribe the best to their patients (for a variety of reasons such as cost, it may not be covered on your particular insurance plan etc.).

If the dr. says it is what he/she would take I'd try it realizing that everyone reacts differently and you might have side effects you might not. It might work perfectly or it might not work at all and you will have to change brands or dosages. As mentioned above it is a trial and error process.

Good luck!

"Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings." -Dr. Cox
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celexa was very bad (yet also sort of fun) for me, but I'm bipolar.

It's the only AD I've ever been on so I'm probably not much help.

I think the side effects of medication on workouts can be mitigated by the general ability to get your life more together, which in my experience at least, has huge positives for my workouts.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took Celexa years ago, I think it decreased my sex drive. Other than that I remember it working well, I was on a pretty low dose.

:: I came, I saw, I conquered. then I ran out of money, crashed into a car during an Ironman, and now work a bad-ass job making prosthetic legs for wounded warriors. ::

the blog: My So-Called Civilian Life :: theWongstar.com :: follow me @theWongstar
Quote Reply