Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Car for Bike and Baby
Quote | Reply
With a move out to the suburbs and a baby on the way, we are looking to purchase a second car. I'd like something as small as possible that can still hold a baby (preferably we'd just keep the car seat base in the car at all times) and a bike can go in the back. Are there any hatchbacks out there that can accomodate both or do we just need to suck it up and get either a minivan or SUV?
Quote Reply
Re: Car for Bike and Baby [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the Ford Edge - reasonable size, wicked fuel mileage & the back can fold flat on a split that leaves the baby in the little seat and the bike flat down in the bigger area. The hatchback goes up automatically with the remote (v. handy with baby in hand) and it's not super pricey.

Tri Hard !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a child, but a friend of mine owns a Honda Fit. She can put one seat down, and stand her bike upright on that side with front wheel off (strapped in so it wouldn't fall on baby). Room in rest of hatch area for gear. Other back seat still in tact that you could use for baby seat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's another recommendation for the Honda Fit. I often have a bike in the car - either upright with the back seats folded up, or laying down. Without the bike, there's plenty of room for a baby. My two girls (ages 3 & 5) and their car seats have plenty of room. With baby and bike, you'd have to use a bike rack on back or on the roof. Plus the car gets amazing mileage- 36+ miles per gallon. Twice as much as an SUV. Good luck in your car search.
Quote Reply
Re: Car for Bike and Baby [LauraW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i sucked it up and bought a loser cruiser (minivan) and never looked back. i have a decked out 05 suburban that just sits because all i really drive is the van and wife drive her wagon. i pulled out the third seat and took a four foot 2x4 with four brackets that attatch to the front fork and can load the van with people and bikes so that we don't have to use the as bumpers.

Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same issue up here! We have a Mazda CX7 (SUV), which is reasonable in the consumption of gas (better than the Edge, and less expansive too), and we can put 2 bikes inside + camping materials, so with the baby we will put the bikes on the roof, and we wil still have some room left for charriot, baggages,etc. we are looking for a 2nd car, small one, and we will probably go with Yaris (Toyota, cheaper than Honda Fit). Large enough to carry a bike + baby. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to suggest a Honda Element. It's built on an Accord chassis, so it's not too big, gets decent mileage, and you can fold up half the back seat and roll your bike in without taking off the wheels. The baby sits pretty high (Read, you don't have to bend over to fuss with him/her) and the interior is plastic, so you can just wipe down any mess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a CRV and it would have room for Baby and bikes...and gear. One seat with baby, one seat with bike upright with one wheel off. Gas mileage so far as been in low to mid 20's for the automatic.
Quote Reply