Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Can you gals chick your guy?
Quote | Reply
Just curious for those of you who have tri significant others.

My wife and I are close on the swim. She absolutely beats me in the pool but open water seems to be a great equalizer, but she still usually just barely beats me but nowhere near the advantage she has in the pool.

No contest on the bike. I usually totally destroy her especially if there are hills. As I always tell her - ITS ABOUT THE BIKE. :-)

She kills me on the run. She has a competitive runnng backgound and I hate running. Any advantage I get on the bike she usually gets back on the run.

I'm not competitive against her, but she is much more so against me. But then I'm a much more laid back type of personality.

So whats your tri relationship?
Quote Reply
Re: Can you gals chick your guy? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope nope and nope, I can only chick my guy on transitions... ;-)

That's ok, he makes a great training partner this way - and it keeps him scared (can't let her beat me!!!)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes on the swim - but I was a D1 scholarship swimmer so that's really not fair.

Iffy - very iffy on the bike. If I'm in shape I *may* be able to beat him on the hills but unless the entire race is uphill he will beat me at the end of the day.

Nope on the run...for a while I was getting closer (he has a soccer background) but then I broke my leg so that's put me well behind him again.

There have been cases of a good swim and a very hilly course means he won't catch me until the end of the bike/beginning of the run. That's ok though, he always greets me at the finish line and I really love knowing he'll be there waiting for me.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't have a tri significant other but I am dating this guy whom I have been giving him tips here and there on swimming whenever we ran into each other at the pool. In the beginning he could only swim a few lanes, but now he is doing flip-turns and last week achieved his first mile in the pool with continuous free-style. And, of course I learned all of my swimming tips here at ST, so ST has my undying gratitude for assisting in the resuscitation of my love life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not anymore, dammit, and I am so bitter!!!

I used to have him easily on the swim. Beat him out of the water all summer, and was expecting to beat him by 10 minutes at IM. I get out of the water, and I hear Mike announcing his name. WTF?? Official results: he beat me by 2 seconds. Ugh. I blame it on too many people and being tiny. I went around people who cut me off, he pushed them aside.

Bike - the hillier and hotter it is, the better chance I have, but only in training. More than once had to wait for him on training rides, but he somehow pulls it out in races and holds a mile per hour or so faster than me. I think I'm too conservative. And the run? Haha, not even close. He runs 7:00 m/miles and I run like, 9 or 10. On a good day.

The biking is great, because we can push each other. Running, not so much, we don't even try to train together there. I die trying to run his pace, and he cramps up trying to run mine.

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the pool, yes, usually by at least 10 sec/100m. But he is going to spend the winter learning how to swim so I'd better watch out.

On the bike - sometimes. I totally dropped him on one of my 180k bike rides this summer - he was dead about about 80km and told me to go on without him. But normally he is faster than me. I like biking with him because on shorter rides we're closer to the same pace.

On the run - he kicks my ass. No matter how much I've been training and how little he's been training, he still has about a foot of height over me and I suffer. The real test will be this summer when we compete in a HIM together. It will be the first time in triathlon that we've gone head to head...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but I would never put it that way. I am thrilled that he is interested and supportive. I'm OK to chick annoying neighbors, etc if see them on the running path, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I think I can, I think I can, I think I can".... but I never do :)

Swim - I was able to a few years ago but not anymore.

Bike - not a chance

Run - so close but not yet.

Our household is the same - I'm more competitive against him, than he is with me. Why is that ?!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he doesn't really compete, but..

in the pool, over 25m, he'll beat me...but he has no swim endurance, and flatly refuses to do more than 1 lap at a time. he won't swim in open water at all.

on the bike, i can drop him pretty easily, especially on hills or long rides.

he only runs once in awhile (basically does two 5k trail races a year; no training), but my 5k time is about ~4mins faster than his on the same course.

given the improvements in his cycling this year, though, he could start wasting me if he ever did any structured training. i was so proud of him a few weeks ago - we went out for a ride together (which means i have to stay in the small ring), and he actually offered to pull!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
It depends. Does he make it to the start line before the gun goes off? My husband missed two starts this summer. :) (http://twitpic.com/22dkz2)

He used to lead the entire way but I started swimming with a great coach and then I put a lot of effort into open water swimming this summer now that we have lots of open water nearby. I'm slightly faster in the water and he's eons ahead of me on the run. The bike depends on the course and the day. I've got power but he's a strong climber. I've also got the advantage of a slightly more aero bike and an aero helmet.

In the races we did this summer, he passed me three times on the run and once on the bike. We came into T2 at IMC within seconds of each other and then he put more than half an hour on me. We rode from Keremeos onward together. Given the conditions, I was really happy to be together going down from Yellow Lakes because we both weren't left wondering if it was the other in the ambulance.

The great part is we did all of our long rides together this summer. In general, it's bittersweet because I'm happy to get getting faster but I'd actually prefer not to compete with him. He used to come out of the water ahead of me so we'd barely see each other all day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, Yes, and Yes!

Although I've been doing tri's for 4 years and this is his first year doing them. I flat out beat him in the swim and transitions (yes, transitions count - I'm competitive). This season I beat him on the bike at all the races although not by much. I rode my tri bike (Cervelo Dual) and he's currently using a converted road bike - although his is carbon and mine is not! Both of us just bought the 2011 Felt B12 so we'll have an even playing field next year and I think he'll be able to take me on the bike. But I've still got him on the run and I think it may be a draw on the swim. So we'll see next year!

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My boyfriend and I are pretty close on the swim. In the pool he's faster than me but in open water were a little closer. On the bike he absolutely kills me everytime, but on the run I am definently faster. However it makes sense with him having his background from biking and my background of running. I'm more competitive against him but I think if he were really competitive back it wouldn't make our workouts as fun. He helps me in my biking and I help him and keep him motivated in running. It works out quite nicely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband doesn't do tris but he does ride with me sometimes. He used to have a mountain bike and we would go out together with me on a road bike and ride for fun. Now he's bought a road bike so he can try to keep up with me on my training rides. His big goal this past summer was to do a 30 mile ride which we did... a little slower than I would have gone by myself. But it was nice to have company. We want to do a century except he doesn't really ride more than once per week and that's not even consistent. Little by little, I'm going to turn him into a cyclist. After he got the road bike, I bought him a bike jersey and mountain bike shorts so he'd have a chamois but he still refuses to wear regular bike shorts. Ha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim: absolutely.

Bike: He usually goes out too fast, and I take a while to warm up, so he leads on the way out and I lead on the way back.

Run: He used to be faster. Then he got hurt and stopped running. And I didn't. :)

We train for different things, though. His strength is in shorter courses, while I do virtually all long-distance stuff. I usually try not to be too competitive on the bike, but we will push each other.

http://konabound.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Can you gals chick your guy? [alharaka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"His strength is in shorter courses, while I do virtually all long-distance stuff. "

Good point. She's a long time endurance runner but I can still easily destroy her on a 100/200 m track sprint despite having not raced that since high school. I call her the "energizer bunny" because she can go all day, but is not fast. I'm the opposite.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you gals chick your guy? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
nope nope and nope, I can only chick my guy on transitions... ;-)

Pffft - you chick P? You can't even beat me... (that's right, I went there!)

Now we'll have to see if you make me eat those words tomorrow! With lots of endurance but no top end speed, a 5k could prove "interesting"... :p

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Can you gals chick your guy? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL nice try, the results show I am correct.

As for the 5k, it should be interesting. P's racing too, and I'm more interested to see how much he can beat you by...

See you at 4.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Can you gals chick your guy? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL - you know, it never even dawned on me to check last year's results before I posted that...

You schooled me. And he crushed both our dreams.

This year I hope to reduce the damage a bit, but we'll see...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Can you gals chick your guy? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that 20ish seconds he beat me by KILLS me every time... grrrrr. I expect him to be a full min faster this year.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband has only beaten me twice- the first two races at American TTT, and only by a total of 3 minutes. For all of our other races, I've beaten him. In training, we are really even in all 3 sports, but I just seem to race a little better, and typically have better swim/run splits. To be fair, I've been doing this 5 years, whereas this is his 2nd full season. I have a feeling next year will have him waiting at the finish line for me :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope... he beats me in all three sports and the transitions! But is always there to cheer for me at the end, and is usually just as proud of (or more proud of) my races than his own. And I'm getting closer. First IM where we both raced he beat me by about 4hr 10min. Then next one it was a gap of about 2hr 38 min. And at our most recent IM, he only got me by 1hr 53 min.

I figured I'll catch him someday... just gotta wait til he is old since he is over a decade older than me ;)

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Last edited by: kylie: Oct 2, 10 18:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim - yep
Bike - no way, former state TT & road champ
Run - no, former high school xc runner...
He doesn't run much but will still beat me. However, then he's sore for a week while I'm back training again the next day or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim....No Way. But he is threatening to actually swim this winter, so I'm sure he'll catch up
Bike...He smokes me every time
Run... Depends on distance after 10 miles, I'm usually stronger and faster
Makes for great training. We push and pull each other through our weak points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nahhh!

Probably swimming... if he ever swum, but bike and running, not a chance!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the swim, definitely.

On the bike, definitely.

On the run, maybe. We run at about the same pace, so it depends on who is having a better day.

He doesn't do tris, although I can get him to bike and run separately.
Quote Reply

Prev Next