Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Call Dr Tigerchik - Maine Travel Recs!
Quote | Reply
Dear Doctor (or others with this info.)

My wife are considering a leaf-peeping trip to Maine this fall. I believe you reside or have lived there. Do you have any recommendation regarding a location to set up our base camp (not camping, hotel or BBor VRBO) for 4-6 days. Good fall colors, the best or pretty darn good that Maines’s nature has to offer, fun rural markets and varied restaurants would suit us best.

Thank you for any thoughts.

SBR — have seen it all of North Shore Superior Mn.

Such a Bad Runner
Quote Reply
Re: Call Dr Tigerchik - Maine Travel Recs! [SBR_bestgoodbad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! Other Dr here, whose husband was stolen from Maine many moons ago :)

You pretty much can't go wrong staying anywhere in Maine. I would choose Bangor if you want to stay more inland and wend you way through all of the small lakes and ponds around the countryside, and yet have someplace nice to crash with good good to eat at the end of the day.

On the more rustic side, up north near Presque-Ile would be lovely. Or stay at the base of Cadillac Mountain on Mt. Desert Island (pssst....there's a thing that they do there every fall too), but that's a good day trip from Bangor anyways.

The best food would be downeast from there in Portland if you can swing a day down in the city (seriously you can't swing a dead cat and miss an amazing food experience there), or if you want a more touristy experience of coastal Maine there's Baaaah Haabah (Bar Harbor).

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Call Dr Tigerchik - Maine Travel Recs! [SBR_bestgoodbad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, I'm a born-and-bred Mainer. I'd go to Mount Desert Island in late September or early October if your goal is leaf-peeping. Take a day trip to Schoodic Peninsula from there. Dr. Cupcake described Bar Harbor as touristy; it is, but the rest of the island is a little less so, and although Bar Harbor is "touristy" it is really just a beautiful little seaside town. I don't know exactly what sort of rural markets you're after but there are some art outdoor markets on the village green (more in the summer), the Beech Hill Farmers Market, and you'd see a fair amount of other farmers market type stuff on the drive there.

What I'd probably do is fly into Portland, spend a day in that area, then go to MDI. You'll get some good leaves just on the drive. The food in Portland is more hip than anything else; Bangor is developing. But I wouldn't plan to spend any significant time in Bangor; it's very boring*. MDI is nice because you get lakes, ocean, mountains, trees, and leaves. The only thing you don't get is city.

*Stephen King's house has cool gates with bats on them. This is the exception to the "Bangor is boring" comment.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Mar 18, 21 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: Call Dr Tigerchik - Maine Travel Recs! [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for taking the time and for your helpful reply

Such a Bad Runner
Quote Reply
Re: Call Dr Tigerchik - Maine Travel Recs! [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for taking the time to reply with your helpful comments

Such a Bad Runner