Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calcium supplements you can live with?
Quote | Reply
OK, dairy's been kicked to the curb and I need a supplement I can take with dinner - i.e.: as far away from my synthroid dosage so as to not interfere. Anyone out there take a supplement they tolerate? Soy is also out, so is broccoli. Other suggestions?!?

thanks!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Calcium supplements you can live with? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also on Synthroid (and Cytomel - a nice little duo) and my endo recommended Viactiv chews for me along with a Vit D supplement. Not sure if the supplement is to help in the absorbtion of the Calcium or simply because we don't get a whole lot of sun 8 months of year up here in the PNW. I take those two along with a multi every night I actually remember and haven't seen any interaction with my thyroid meds.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Calcium supplements you can live with? [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When purchasing calcium supplements, ensure to look for the elemental calcium content, not the total content. For instance, a pill containing 500mg of Calcium Carbonate provides 200mg of elemental calcium. Hence one pill in this example only provides 200mg of calcium, not 500mg.

Calcium is absorbed in small intestines. Not all calcium we consume will be absorbed. The amount of calcium absorbed is dependent on a number of factors such as the acidic condition in our intestines, Vitamin D level, estrogen level and the type of calcium supplement.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viactiv caramel calcium supplements are pretty tasty.

Ease into taking them; Ca supplements can cause constipation.

Avoid taking Ca with iron or citrus fruits - my N told me both interfere with its absorption. I knew iron did but vit C interfering with it was new to me.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Calcium supplements you can live with? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses... v. helpful!~

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Life Extension Bone Restore and I also use their vitamin D supplement. I get my next dexa scan next year but my vitamin D level was 64, whatever that means, last month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
viactive tastes pretty good to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Calcium supplements you can live with? [onyouright] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have settled, for now, on OJ with Vit D and Calcium. I have a big fat pint of it before dinner, easy on my guts. So far so good. Seeing doc next week - we'll see what she says.

Thx again.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know how it jives with your drugs, but Jordan got me into drinking almond milk. It sort of tastes like milk, and has the right consistency - but isn't soy or dairy. It's also a good source of Calcium, A and D. I just wish I could find it in an unsweetened variety...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Calcium supplements you can live with? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? We have no problems finding it in Nanaimo. I know that Island Naturals and Country Grocer carry it. I also think that Save-On has it. We pretty much buy it by the caseload whenever it's on sale. When I lived in White Rock, I always bought it at Trader Joes though.

I never knew it had calcium and I've been having it pretty much every morning for 4+ years!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, that's next on my list to try... I eat a lot of raw almonds already, so not sure I want to add more into my diet.. but again, always an experiment ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi -

I also suffer from Hypothyroidism and take Synthroid - 115 mg to be exact. I also take calcium supplements but I just started taking them and I have been taking them at the same time - is that is no no??

I also take: Iron, B2, Vitamin D, Flax Seed Oil and Vitamin C - am I not supposed to be taking those at the same time as my synthroid meds??
Quote Reply
Re: Calcium supplements you can live with? [GoinPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
calcium interferes with the uptake of synthroid, so no you don't want to take them together.

you should be taking the synthroid on an empty stomach and wait at least 1 hr after taking the dose to eat anything. I would put other supplements in the "eating" bucket.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Calcium supplements you can live with? [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Really? We have no problems finding it in Nanaimo. I know that Island Naturals and Country Grocer carry it. I also think that Save-On has it.

I checked at Save-On last night and they had regular (original?) and vanilla. The 2nd ingredient on the regular is "evaporated cane juice" - sugar. I don't like vanilla flavoured things, so I didn't bother checking it - but I'd guess that it has sugar added to it as well. There was only one brand available. The one in my fridge (Almond Fresh Original) lists "cane sugar" as the 2nd ingredient.

Maybe I need to look harder.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://store.bluediamond.com/...nsweetened_p_37.html

Khai - This is the brand that we've been drinking for years. I can't remember if it's carried at Save-On but pretty much everywhere else has it. I've never really had a problem finding it. At least three different store chains in Nanaimo carry it so I can't imagine it would be that hard to find on the Mainland.
Quote Reply
Re: Calcium supplements you can live with? [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
http://store.bluediamond.com/...nsweetened_p_37.html

Khai - This is the brand that we've been drinking for years. I can't remember if it's carried at Save-On but pretty much everywhere else has it. I've never really had a problem finding it. At least three different store chains in Nanaimo carry it so I can't imagine it would be that hard to find on the Mainland.

Thanks for that - it's the same brand that I normally buy, but I never looked at the UHT (shelf stabilized) stuff. I wonder why they make the original flavour available in an unsweetened form for the UHT, but not for the refrigerated? I don't really like UHT cow's milk because the UHT pasteurization process changes the flavour and odour of the milk. I guess I'll have to see if it does the same for almond milk. I've also heard less than positive things about what the UHT process does to the milk itself - changing the physical structure of the proteins and killing ALL of the natural bacteria such that it cannot be used for making yogurt, cheese, etc. That's not necessarily directly transferable to almond milk, but I wonder how much of the process and the outcome is the same?

Hmmm...

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the reminder that OJ has calcium! I have been struggling to get enough lately.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some brands are fortified with extra calcium, too. Read the label if you're looking to boost your intake.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm talking about the ones with a LOT of extra added, not just "plain jane" OJ... check the labelling, but most prominently display "Added Vit D and Calcium"

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you truly need calcium due to bone loss, you should be taking a supplement that is pharmaceutical grade.

I was taking AdvaCal 3 caps 2x daily + vitamin D + silica drops (BioSil) for bone health.
Quote Reply
Re: Calcium supplements you can live with? [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumb question: do you need a prescription for pharmaceutical-grade Ca? And what is the silica for?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not me in this case. Just trying to make sure I get some since having eliminated my prior main source... but you make a great point for those who do that that issue. OJ and chews ain't gonna cut it in those cases...

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you truly need calcium due to bone loss, you should be taking a supplement that is pharmaceutical grade.

Maybe it's because I live in BC, but every time I hear (or see) the term "pharmaceutical grade", it makes me snicker... :p

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Maybe it's because I live in BC, but every time I hear (or see) the term "pharmaceutical grade", it makes me snicker... :p

second ;)

cheers!

-mistress k