Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

C Section Recovery
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I recently gave birth via an unexpected c section. I was hoping for a natural birth and really hadn't researchered this as an alternative. Those with firsthand experience I'd really appreciate any info or personal experience you might be willing to share.
Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: C Section Recovery [weedris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No advice from childless me, but congrats on the new baby and happy healing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! I had an unexpected c-section two years ago and found the recovery to be fine. I walked after a week and then swam and biked but didn't run for quite a while. One of my friends strongly advises not running until the pelvic wall heals, you can contact her via http://perinatalfitness.ning.com/ if you are interested.

Don't push yourself, this is the time to be gentle with yourself and just enjoy living in the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing happened to me. I had trouble getting mine to heal properly, mostly because I was hauling kid & laundry & myself up and down stairs a lot in the first few weeks. It probably took a good 3 weeks for the wound itself to close, and I had to use a lot of tape/etc. to keep it closed. Like trailbait said, you need to take it EASY. I didn't, and it prolonged my healing time. That said, once I got that sorted out, I was back in the pool within 6 weeks, riding within 8 or so, and I left the running for a few months (needed a break from running, mentally, anyways haha).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had two c-sections, and luckily recovered quickly and easily from them. However- I was 25 and 27 at the time. I agree that you should wait at least 6 weeks before exercising too vigorously! But I think that's also when you are most tired because of the demands of your new baby too! Congratulations! It takes a little time- but you'll be back at it in no time!

Amanda

I'm here to race- myself and you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had two emergency C-sections. For both of them, I was on my feet within hours of the operation--was told that it was good to get up.

Make sure you take every pain medication they suggest, exactly as directed. If you don't, the inflammation will start, and it is sort of a cascading effect, and you will end up feeling more pain (or at least that's what they told me, and it certainly seemed true as I was in very minimal pain).

The muscle was only as sore as if I had done a "weekend warrior" thing and overexercised. It was not very painful. The only precaution I observed was not to lift heavy objects for the requisite time period. I did get a good laugh when right after the operation, they moved me from the gurney to the bed and got annoyed at me when I wouldn't do it myself--kept telling me to move--they somehow didn't realize I'd had a c-section and was numb from the nipples down, so it was pretty well impossible to move by myself.

In my opinion, the c-section wasn't a big deal, and recovery was very fast. I was 36 and 38. I would prefer it to natural birth--especially since after 12 hours of labour I only dilated 0.5 cm.

On the shallow side, I'm not crazy about the loose skin above the c-section scar. The scar acts as a shelf, so the skin pooches out and overhangs the scar. Natural childbirth will not leave you with that effect. But on the other hand, I didn't have my perineum ripped open...

Enjoy your baby!
Last edited by: karencoutts: Nov 3, 11 21:12
Quote Reply
Re: C Section Recovery [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the advice. Was swimming the friendlier exercise to first start up (I imagine yes???).
Great tip re: pain meds and inflammation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't swimming at the time of my c-section, but seems like swimming would provide the most stretching for the abdominal area- I remember being hunched over for a while and it was hard to stand up straight for about a week or so. Swimming seems like it would help with that. I waited about 4 weeks to run after my c-section (I bought a giant sports bra to fit my newly expanded chest!). Biking seems like it might be the best of both worlds- no jarring and no excessive stretching out.

I recently had surgery to remove a large tumor in my ovary and it was like a mini c-section (on the outside). I waited two weeks to run after that.

I did learn a new trick (new to me, anyway) after this recent surgery- stick a pantyliner horizontally inside your undies right where the incision is to limit rubbing and any drainage from the wound. Call me crazy, but I thought this was a great trick.....

Good luck!

Kelly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know, after I gave birth I didn't exercise much for the next FOUR YEARS. First, I was so tired and overwhelmed because the baby would not latch on so I had to pump every three hours. I also did not want to the put the baby in a stroller and have that little head bouncing around while I ran. Not only that, my breasts will full of milk and sore--it was like Baywatch, and I finally understood why big breasted women hate running.

As for swimming, I did not try it. I'm sure I would have been fine cycling, but as I said, I did nothing. But pain wise, I am quite certain I could have done both pretty much immediately upon arriving home from the hospital, if it weren't for waiting for the skin to seal up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to give yourself a good 6 to 8 weeks before life returns to normal. Many women don’t take a c-section recovery seriously or don’t have the help they need at home to rest and therefore risk injury prolonging the healing process. After a c-section, you can go for short walks gradually building up your stamina, but don’t allow yourself to get overly tired. You should avoid climbing steps for 1 week and as far as possible stay at home the first 2 weeks; after 3 weeks you can start driving for short periods if you feel comfortable in the driver’s seat. Try and give yourself a break from any household chores for at least 4 weeks! After your 6-week PP you should be able to return to all your usual activities after the doctor gives you the okay.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by i-tri [ In reply to ]
Re: C Section Recovery [i-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a c-section. I don't think it's her vajay-jay that needs the ice. ;)

I'm here to race- myself and you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm mostly a lurker, but logged in to reply. I had a scheduled c-section in April as my daughter was breech. I started back with relatively short, slow walks around the neighbourhood at around nine days post-partum. I really tried to take it easy during the first two weeks - no lifting, no stairs, no driving, and being sure to use my arms to get in and out of chairs/bed, and I think that helped. With my doctor's okay, I was back in the pool at masters swim at exactly 4 weeks post-partum and running at 6 weeks. Linsten to your body - and don't be afraid to take it easy. It WILL come back! My daughter is now 7 months old, and I set a 5k PR last month, and ran about 90 seconds from my PR for a half on the weekend.

Good luck and enjoy your little one!
Quote Reply
Re: C Section Recovery [scrumhalfgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your replies. Its super helpful to hear of your first hand experience, sometimes the docs are overly conservative (and understandably so). Glad it's the off season so I can take my time,
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off congrats! I had a C-section (triplets) and started walking 1 week post pregnancy, running (5-15 min) 6 weeks post, swimming and biking 7 weeks post. I did my first triathlon 15.5 weeks post partum (AG Sprint Nationals) and won my first post pregnancy triathlon (a sprint) under 20 weeks post partum. I was also on bed rest for the last 13 weeks of my pregnancy.

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Last edited by: jellyfish1: Dec 2, 11 17:48
Quote Reply
Re: C Section Recovery [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailbait wrote:
Congratulations! I had an unexpected c-section two years ago and found the recovery to be fine. I walked after a week and then swam and biked but didn't run for quite a while. One of my friends strongly advises not running until the pelvic wall heals, you can contact her via http://perinatalfitness.ning.com/ if you are interested.

Don't push yourself, this is the time to be gentle with yourself and just enjoy living in the moment.

Such a very amazing link!

Last edited by: seikialice88: Dec 11, 11 18:07
Quote Reply