Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bree's IMCO race report... a race girl nightmare
Quote | Reply
I think it's every girls nightmare: having your period at a very inconvenient moment and also for everybody to see... But what to do when your racing?
It happened unfortunately last weekend to pro athlete Bree Wee. She's very open about it (thank you!) and tells on her blog what's happened during IM Cozumel.
She a tough cookie! Big shout out to her!

I like those white tri suits big time, but that's the reason why I stay miles away from them... ;-)

Happy training
Quote Reply
Re: Bree's IMCO race report... a race girl nightmare [Kaikala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as much as I sympathize with Bree (because my own period grosses me out), how could she not have known that it was possible to get her period that day? mine is super regular and I can guess down to the hour when I'm going to get it, but even if that didn't happen, I think I would take precautions.. JUST IN CASE. also, never wear light bottoms.

---
IM Coeur D'Alene 2011
IM Wisconsin 2011
http://alexaharding.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bree's IMCO race report... a race girl nightmare [JustJumpIt17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
as much as I sympathize with Bree (because my own period grosses me out), how could she not have known that it was possible to get her period that day? mine is super regular and I can guess down to the hour when I'm going to get it, but even if that didn't happen, I think I would take precautions.. JUST IN CASE. also, never wear light bottoms.

x2. How does this happen? I suppose in the odd case it can, with spotting and such, but that's what BC is for! Among other things, of course.
Quote Reply
Re: Bree's IMCO race report... a race girl nightmare [Lilac J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine started ~20k in on the bike at IMC in 09. Talk about mucho sucko. And no... not every one's is regular. Mine's not even close anymore (perimenopause) and I stopped BC years ago so I can't plan on it at all. In fact, she seems to like to show up at races (even Silverman earlier this month). She's a b*tch, that's for sure...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Bree's IMCO race report... a race girl nightmare [Lilac J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
x2. How does this happen? I suppose in the odd case it can, with spotting and such, but that's what BC is for! Among other things, of course.

mine's all over the place since i specifically quit using BC in feb/10 - anywhere from 3-7 weeks between instances, with no warning.

don't want artificial hormones in my body anymore. spent 15 years on the pill, and i'm leery of such long-term use of ANY drug.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I love Bree and feel for her. But ITS JUST BLOOD!
Quote Reply
Re: Bree's IMCO race report... a race girl nightmare [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its happened to me. I now have "supplies" with me when I volunteer, because it will happen to someone else too!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Bree's IMCO race report... a race girl nightmare [Tri'dItLikedIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always had them in my transition bags and special needs bag. Because while I know my schedule, stress can do funny things to your cycle. I've never needed them, but they're always there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That happened to me at the Boston Marathon, where I was loathe to stop and take care of things. No volunteers had anything, anyway.

My stride changed from my discomfort and I injured myself.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I love Bree and feel for her. But ITS JUST BLOOD!

I liked Bree's blog post in general but this one stood out. Positively.

When I read it I asked myself what would I do? We train for this tri extravaganza so intense and with dedication... Quit? Or go on and finish cause 'it's just blood'. I would love to have the guts and be BA to do the latter. If it ever happened to me. All those remarks and looks of spectators, like Bree underwent. I dunno, I hope I would be fearless and won't care what other people think. In a perfect world...

It's strange how this works. F.e. there are several threads on ST a/b pieing on the bike. You see people crap themselves occasionally in marathons. Not a pretty sight but hey I get it why people keep biking, running etc. When our period surprises us in competition, we girls generally stop. Is it stigma, upbringing? Just wondering.

Hope Bree will be back soon, full force. And in a dark colored kit ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a really great podcast on NPR about people who push beyond boundaries and it starts off with the Julie Moss story in which she poops herself en route to the finish line at Kona. This is no different than that guy who ran around with poop coming down his legs at the IM and then poses with a big you know what eating smile on his face after he finishes. Some people will go there and then everyone else won't.

There are advantages to both and I wouldn't judge Bree or anyone else for their choice but running around with Aunt Flo coming down my legs in front of my peers wouldn't work out so well for me personally. I actually know for a fact what I would do because I was on my way to a PR at a 1/2 marathon when I had to stop for an extended break in a porta potty to take care of things. I cobbled together a finished but chose not to go for the PR. I still haven't reached that time goal so there you go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She'll be back.

I guess I'd like to think I'd go on and keep racing.

My sister told me about a girl she saw during IMAZ a couple years ago. This was my sisters first time seeing an Ironman and I was racing. There was a woman who was racing and had her period. Her boyfriend was on the sidelines yelling at her to stop, so something, find a tampon. The girl just told him to shut up about it and she kept on racing.

My sister was not at all surprised by the girl racing, but by the boyfriend's objections to he continuing to race.

Last August I was on a training ride with a friend and she started playing this game would you rather. One of her questions was:

would you rather shit yourself on the bike, or start your period and have blood running down your legs at the finish of an ironman?"

Laura thought the shitting yourself was a better choice, because you can clean up after that. My answer? Start my period and have blood running down my leg. And I'd smear it around so I looked like I got I got in a wreck somewhere on the course. Sort of like war paint.

http://sunsafetybarbie.blogspot.com/...ould-you-rather.html

I've had a few period mishaps over the years, and yeah they are embarrassing, but more and more it's just not that big of deal to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This happened to me at the Cherry Blossom Ten Miler a few years back. I was on day seven of my period (usually have 4 day periods) and figured a superplus would more than take care of it. Wrong. I couldn't do anything. There was no place to stop, no portapotties, nothing. I just had to finish the race and be done with it hoping most would be completely oblivious. Most were. Definitely didn't order the finisher's photo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had CSI moments just during runs when the cup overruneth (as it were) and while I KNEW I was on my period I had no idea I'd get such a gusher. I usually (this happens far too often) run off into the jungle to dump the cup then off to the beach to cleanup and continue the workout. But yeah, even when you KNOW where you are in your cycle it can still throw you for a loop.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OT, love the pictures on your blog. Maine is all frozen and I am jealous of your warm open water.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, gonna do that if it happens to me!
Quote Reply
Re: Bree's IMCO race report... a race girl nightmare [Jean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She was having a break out race and no related menstrual pain and she pulled out of the race solely because of embarrassment. I wonder what her sponsors think of that.

This actually happened to me this September at the Toughman 1/2 IM in Westchester, NY. I was fourth female (or so) on the bike when I realized I was leaking very badly. I was on day 2 and having not only a really heavy day but also lots of cramping. Without giving too many gorey details, my saddle, which is usually white, was red when I got into T2. A family cheering for me thought I was in a crash. I don't even think I hesitated. I put my running shoes on and went on to finish 5th female OA. When I crossed the finish, a volunteer asked me if I needed a medic. My response, "NO, I need a TAMPON!" I think Bree Wee needs to realize that the sport of triathlon isn't always clean and pretty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No tampons for me... I'm a Diva Cup girl and will never go back to pads or tampons. The cup http://www.divacup.com/ (I don't work for them!) is something I rave about. (There are a few other brands, but I haven't tried them). Instead of absorbing the blood, it collects it. You collapse it and insert it over your cervix internally and it collects blood in a cup. Depending on how heavily you are bleeding, you need to change it every 3-12 hours. Personally, at the start of my period I only have to change it every six hours, to give you an idea of why I'm mentioning it here. The "every 3 hours" mark doesn't happen for me until more than halfway into the first day, or the second day, and doesn't last very long. If you know you might be having your period the day of your race, you put it in, just in case. Even if you don't expect your period for a few days, you can still put it in. You'll never have an "accident" again. I happen to be regular, like clockwork, but if you're not, that's an even better reason to wear one on race day.

There is a steep learning curve, so you can expect some leakage for the first up to 3 months that you are learning. If you fail to insert it properly, you might have leakage. After you figure things out, you'll wonder why you ever settled for barbaric things like tampons!!! If you are planning to use it during a race, you should practice for at least three months prior. I don't have to use one during a race unless I'm expecting my period.

The bonus for triathletes is that you can go swimming with it in... it's like a plug. When I'm using it, I sometimes forget I'm having my period. The only thing that reminds me to change it is when I start feeling moist "down there" which means it's nearly full. You can cycle with it in, without even noticing it is there. The bonus for the environment and for your pocketbook is that you never have to buy and throw away a pad or tampon again! You just keep washing and re-using it. I've had mine for two years and it's actually working better than when I first bought it. The other cool thing is when you go on vacation and you're expecting your period, you don't have to pack a wad of tampons/pads but only need to pack the tiny cup.

In fact, I can't see a downside except the learning curve. If you are learning, just use a panty liner for backup. The other problem with it is that you need to wash it, rather than the disposable culture of the tampon. Seeing blood doesn't bother me, but I would guess it would bother others. I buy the Diva Wash by the same company to make washing easier.

Highly recommended for triathletes and women who care about the environment.
Quote Reply
Re: Bree's IMCO race report... a race girl nightmare [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should mention that if you're having a heavy period and doing an Ironman, then probably the cup isn't going to hold enough, but then again, the tampon isn't much use either, but would be more convenient for changing.

However, any unexpected appearances of the period could be taken care of by using the cup, which is comfortable and doesn't dry you out like a tampon.
Quote Reply
Re: Bree's IMCO race report... a race girl nightmare [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love love love the Diva cup.
The great thing about it is that if it gets "full" you can just dump it and reinsert it. I've done a few longer brick workouts where I did just that. So during an ironman you could just stop in a port a potty and empty it out.

I do agree that there is a little learning curve in terms of getting it in correctly. Don't put it in for the 1st time before a 10+ mile run.
Quote Reply
Re: Bree's IMCO race report... a race girl nightmare [jplace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, i think i would have continued too. keep the bib number in front and either don't worry about the back or grab a bag from an aid station and tuck it in to hide the shorts. then just throw some water on at aid stations.

hell if poop guy can handle it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a steep learning curve, so you can expect some leakage for the first up to 3 months that you are learning.

I didn't really have a problem with that. I've only gotten it not quite right a couple of times in the year and a half I've been using it.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply