Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Breast implants and triathlon
Quote | Reply
I'm a fairly competitive 30yo age grouper who is seriously considering breast augmentation surgery. This will increase me from barely an A cup to a medium C. Nothing crazy, just in proportion to my frame.
I would love to hear from any girls out there who have been through similar- types/placement of implants, recovery times, unexpected outcomes, impact on performance etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Breast implants and triathlon [Batgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Previous thread

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Breast implants and triathlon [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here's another, probably more useful thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Breast implants and triathlon [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to both Agilecipher and Spiced rum. I'd seen the 2008 thread, but not the 2013 one. Still, in reading those I have some persisting questions...so if anyone is happy to share about surgical techniques and implant types suggested due to triathlon lifestyle- I'm all ears!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no tips, tricks, or recommendations regarding the surgery.

But, I'm an athlete with a larger set. So...... remember that:
  • You might need to wear two sports bras for running support - not just post surgery recovery, but forever.
  • Say 'good bye' to cute tanks with built in support
  • Say "hello" to chafing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to be quite over-weight with size F breasts, then lost weight and had breast reduction to tighten loose skin.

Now, I'm looking to go the opposite direction and regain the only part of my voluptuous body I liked when I was too heavy to be fast. Now, I'm too old to be fast.

My advice from when I was heavy chested is to invest in good support bras. If you have augmentation, they will bounce and the surrounding tissue will sag. Tucking your breasts into your belt line is not a good look ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Breast implants and triathlon [i-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have none of those problems. The only thing I can't do comfortably is race in a swimsuit (though I've seen it done) and wear some bikini workout suits. I can wear them but there is too much drag for me to do a swim workout in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had implants to go from a small AA to a C/D and am fairly petite - 5'5" 115lbs. I haven't had any issues. My implants are under the muscle. It didn't even take as long as I thought to get back to strength training or swimming. I want to say I had to wait 4 weeks to run and 4-6 weeks to swim and start back with strength work, but it was several years ago so I don't remember exactly. I don't regret doing it for a second since I have finally been able to get clothes to fit properly, which they never did before I had implants.
Quote Reply
Re: Breast implants and triathlon [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much everyone, particularly Ghiagirl and little red. There is not a heap of info out there for athletic women considering such surgery. Can I ask you both please if you have silicone or polyurethane implants? Did you notice a weakness in your swim from 'damage' to the pec muscle with placing implant underneath? Time away from training and impact on performance are my biggest concerns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine are saline and under the muscle. 14 years old. I did t swim cmh at the time, but I was back to running after 4 weeks.

I had some shoulder issues lately and a massage therapist told me I had a lot of built up scar tissue more than likely from the surgery that could be causing the problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine are silicone and underneath the muscle. I didn't have any damage or long term weakness to the pec muscles. It does take a short time for things to feel normal when swimming and doing strength work. My first few swims back my pec muscles would feel weird for the first couple minutes of the workout, but then I wouldn't notice anything. But I don't remember this lasting long. I remember easing back into masters swimming but was back doing regular workouts on my usual intervals pretty fast. Sorry, I had this done over 8 years ago so I don't remember the exact time frame. I also had it done during the off season, so a couple months of lighter/slower training didn't bother me much. Even when I started back running I didn't have any issues. I was even able to wear several of my former sports bras since they were nice and tight with something to actually hold in place. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Breast implants and triathlon [little red] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought I'd follow this up since others might be reading this who have similar plans/questions.

I had them done 3 months ago. Have increased from a small A cup to a medium C. Polyurethane cohesive gel, under the muscle. Had to have 6 weeks off running, swimming and riding outdoors. Could do wind trainer bike sessions at low heart rate from week 2 onwards.

Now back in full training and I have no issues. Swimming feels normal but just building endurance back up after the time off. With a decent bra I don't notice them while running.

Thanks to those who posted replies to this thread and messaged me with more info. Best decision I've made in a long time. Looking forward to the race season ahead without my former boney flat pre pubescent chest.
Quote Reply