Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Breaking up is hard to do
Quote | Reply
From my blog...

I made it almost a year this time. In college I had a boyfriend like that. On again. Off again. Forever. The relationship was epic. The happiest times and then the most outrageous fights. Oh man did people talk about our fights. I laugh at them today. He and I laughed at them back then. Some times the day after they happened. What exactly were we fighting about? Ah, but the make up sex was great :-) A LOT of people thought we'd get married. But we realized we couldn't date each other. And we went our separate ways. We are still in touch. And I think I learned an awful lot about life from him. Mostly good. But some bad.

And the blog is the same way. I've learned a lot of things. Met a lot of people. Mostly good. But some bad. So this is it for the blog. And this is also it for triathlon. This is it for running. This is it for swimming. And I don't think I have to tell anyone that this is it for biking. I've struggled with some things for a very long time. A LOT longer than anyone other than myself will know. A LOT LOT longer than I realized until this week.

I laid in bed tonight trying to figure out why. Trying to figure out when was the last time I was really happy. And you know what I came up with? 10th grade. Yep. I was really happy in the 10th grade. Really really happy. I don't even think I had the typical high school kid issues in the 10th grade. Yep, it's been that long. More than half my life. What changed then? I don't know. But I know it was before I was a runner that I was really happy. Before I wanted to break the school record in the 400. Back when I was a gymnast. And not a great one. Not the best gymnast on my high school team. But good enough to win some events at some meets. I took dance lessons. And I sucked at dancing. But it was fun. I did high jump and long jump. Not great at either. Never expecting to do more than win the events at some track meets. And I was fine with that.

I wasn't a top student. I was a good student. I got a mix of As and Bs. I was fine with that. I was involved in a lot of things. I never stood out as the best at anything (except agricultural sciences at the state science fair). But I was happy (and I don't think it had anything to do with cows). A few years ago when I left the Air Force, I had some career counseling. The guy asked me "what did you want to do as a kid". I think back to that now and remember that as an 8 year old I quit the swim team after a week. Competition like that wasn't for me. My excuse for years was that I quit because the boys made fun of me. They picked on me because I was faster than they were. Yup. I could outswim all the boys. I could outrun them too. But I never did. I just stopped competing against them. Because I wasn't happy when I was. As an 8 year old I realized I didn't like to compete. I really don't know why.

Just like most breakups, this has been a long time coming. It's taken a while for me to work up the courage to do this. I kept putting it off. For the past year I've been thinking I need a break from triathlon. From competition. But after Honu I convinced myself to wait until after Kona. Sort of like if you're dating someone at Thanksgiving, you can't break up with them until after New Years. But really, it has to be done now. I've got other things I need to do now, and they can't wait 6 more weeks. I will start working on those first thing tomorrow morning.

I think I'll take up yoga. It's probably the closest I can get to gymnastics and dance. I might be back to triathlon after other things are they way they should be. But I doubt it. Over the next couple weeks I'll reach out to some of you. Some of you deserve a better explanation. Yesterday I realized I should never pass up the possibility of finding happiness. Ironically, I realized this on a run. The last run I'll do for a long time. This might not lead to happiness. But I think it's a possibility. And I'm not going to pass it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking up is hard to do [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, good for you. If its not exciting or making you happy, what's the point? There's enough chores and responsibilities and crap you have to do every day anyway, your hobbies should not be one of them.

I don't know you, but I'm proud of you. :)

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you. It can be hard to make these breaks. Change is hard. But it's usually sooooo exciting... once you get going that is!

One of the best things I did recently was ditch the blog - it was a NY resolution from a few years ago. I wasn't getting anything out of it, and felt like I *had* to update it, even though I didn't want to...

Racing and training for this sport can be like that as well... if the end goal/result isn't worth enough to keep you motivated to train and even participate, why bother... life is short but full of amazing possibilities... imagine all the things you will stumble onto, by accident, or perhaps by some greater coincidence ;-)

Keep in touch tho, we kinda like you ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was fine with that.

"Fine with that" is a good place to be. Good luck getting back there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This made me sad, not because you are leaving, but because you weren't happy in the first place. I totally get it though, and dropping out feels excellent. The hippies had one thing right. Listen, I have friends who are active, weekend warrior types, that don't compete. They seem pretty happy with life so keep that door open a crack because your body might miss the challenges even though your mind is done conquering.

The one thing I have learned in life is to make my own way and to learn from what other people do but not take on their stuff as my own. People try to push you into a mold that you don't fit but it's so much more fun to surprise people with who you really are because that is so much more interesting!

I would love to hang out with you, anytime, and I hope we get the chance to do so in the relative future. I am keeping you on my lists of internet friends to see. Can't wait to hear about what you do next. You are welcome wherever I am my friend. Total admiration for you and your journey.

Erika
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking up is hard to do [FeltLikeTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It's not that triathlon wasn't fun. It was. I enjoyed it. I really enjoyed it. But it took away from some other things that I decided long ago were important to me...I just never acted on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless your injury prevents you from competing in Hawaii, I think you should still do it. I am a big believer in finishing what you start. Once you start letting yourself off ez, it is hard to stop. Not to mention the person whose dream you crushed by taking their slot and then deciding you are "just not that into it". Given your base, you could train for 12 hours a week for the next couple weeks then taper and still finish respectably. IMO
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking up is hard to do [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. But no. I started to get my life back in order before, a few times actually and I quit doing it because I was able to distract myself with other things, one of them triathlon. Some things are much more important than crossing the finish line in a race.

It's not that I'm not into it. I am. I was having some great training and looking forward to training every day. But I was ignoring other things.

I'll miss running. I'll miss swimming. I'll probably even miss biking. But there are things I miss a lot more than those. And being happy is one of them.

There is more than I haven't written about. But you don't need to know about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wtf is wrong with you?
seriously, something is wrong with you. You think too much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There is more than I haven't written about. But you don't need to know about it.

I understand. I wish you all the best. I do have one question before you officially depart... I always wondered what you were doing in that main picture on your blog??? You could not have possibly been planning to surf in that location. There is not even a swell of any kind. Plus you were wearing a helmet. It seems a little over cautious... Was it some kind of inside joke?

Atltri
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking up is hard to do [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a joke. I had surfed a couple days before and bit it big time. I knocked my head and had a lump the size of a golf ball.

And there was a sizable swell that day, 4-5 foot at the break to the left of those islands, which you can't see from the pictures. It's a 3/4 mile paddle to get out there. But I did not wear my helmet....it was a posed picture to go with 'sun safety'. After the picture, I paddled out, caught one wave, the next one lost it dropping down and put teeth marks in the wax of that board. My jaw hurt for a month after it. I learned my lesson about telling wave size from shore at that break.

The picture was planned with a regular bike helmet, but all I had in my truck was my aero helmet because I had raced the day before.

Here's another picture, you can see the break in it, but it's deceiving because it's so far out there. The blog picture was taken from an angle that didn't show it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"it took away from some other things that I decided long ago were important to me..."

There's a lot more important things in life than triathlon, particularly if its not paying your bills. Triathlon is not going away. You can always come back to it at any time if you chose to. But it sounds like you do need a break from it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good wishes to you.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't know which one is you in that pic but both have amazing/hot bodies. Don't lose it when you go off!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is really an interesting post. And so well-written....I read it several times. It makes think you need a creative outlet (writing) as opposed to an athletic one. I would love to hear how it goes for you!
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking up is hard to do [NMGal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck, and be happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe you need a boyfriend and a good sex life!
Quote Reply