Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bought Eliptical for my Fiance (Knee issues due to resistance)
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the site :)

My fiance and I are getting married in a month and she has been on a fitness kick the past few months so we decided to get an elipitical...NordicTrack E 6.3 Elliptical to be exact.

We put it together, had no problems but we realized that the first time we used it...the resistance at level 1 is alot more tough than it should be.

She and I have both used it a few times but her knees and hips end up hurting. She has a small frame..105 lbs and used to play soccer in college so she has/was fit.
Year back, she had 2 surgeries on her knees. She would try and stay fit by using the treadmill bit she always seemed to be sore, thats why we thought an elliptical would be great but the resistance is not working properly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading. (happy soon to be wife, happy life)
Last edited by: crebman: Apr 28, 14 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: Bought Eliptical for my Fiance (Knee issues due to resistance) [crebman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have an elliptical (Horizon series EX-33), and my husband uses it primarily (185 lbs). I rarely use it, and can pretty much only do it on Level 1. (I weigh around 120 lbs). Level 2 and above I don't have enough weight (?strength :-) to get it moving. Check to make sure the parts are running smoothly, other than that I am not sure what else to recommend.

Congrats on the wedding and have fun!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Bought Eliptical for my Fiance (Knee issues due to resistance) [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.

She weighs a little over 100lbs and I am wondering if that is the main reason, she cant really get it going.

What I am confused about is that there is no option for no resistance...it starts off at lvl 1, assuming you want the resistance.
Quote Reply
Re: Bought Eliptical for my Fiance (Knee issues due to resistance) [crebman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was told by my ortho and PT that elliptical is the worst for knees. I know that being on one for a few minutes will cause knee pain where a treadmill or bike will not.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if its resistance, or just the sheer weight of the fly wheel and the crank arms….for what its worth, a runner friend of mine, who prob weighs around 100 lbs hurt her knees on an elliptical.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because ellipticals come in myriad sizes, some "fit" some people and some "fit" others (based mainly on height. leg length and stride length).

Also, I have found that people with knee histories vary widely in their abilities to use ellipticals (In other words, some people with knee histories can and others can't).

My point is that the elliptical you chose clearly doesn't "fit" your soon-to be. If you can, return it and have her try different models at the store. This is the only way to buy home equipment. Whether or not the resistance on your model is working or not is a question for the store and/or manufacturer.
Finally, most home equipment is poorly made and of just plain crappy quality (though Nordic Track does have a slightly better reputation than most). That said, if you (she?) truly wants something at home, perhaps a stationary bike (tried first at the store) or a Computrainer (on which she can mount her own bike) may be better choices.
Quote Reply