Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bottomless Pit Days?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else out there have days where you're simply starving and nothing - literally nothing - seems to fill the bottomless pit? I have been starving all day. Not a "I'm bored starving" (infact I've been crazy busy all day which usually slows my appetite) but a feeling like your stomach walls are actually rubbing against one another and you haven't eaten in days when, in truth, you just ate....oh, 15 minutes ago.

I have been craving fat all day yet no matter what I eat, including a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch, I'm still starving. It's not the actual fat or calories I'm concerned with, I'd just love to know if anyone else has found anything that will fill what feels like a void in your belly on days like this.

(For the record - yes, it is that time of the month.)

Anyone have these days?

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Bottomless Pit Days? [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes (she says while snarfing down an apple)

I think it is the body's way of making up for an overall calorie deficit. That might be total bullshit but if you've been skipping meals lately that might be the reason.

I have days where I eat even though I know I'm full. I hate those days. That is definitely mood related though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You eat, and 15 minutes you're about ready to pass out from being so hungry.... again. You eat your entire snack bag you broght to work for the day... before lunch. A co-worker drops by and makes a comment that "you're eating... again?!?" Do you have to bring a snack to a 60 minute meeting, in case you get a hunger attack?

I can answer: yes, yes, yes and yes to all those questions.... have totally been there.

Some of my appetite curbing tricks: chewing gum, drink warm beverages (besides coffee) like apple cider or chix broth, diet coke, grab a V8, handful of almonds or suck on a piece of hard candy (peppermint lifesavers).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally! As I tell my husband, I'm not trying to eat till I'm full, that's impossible. I'm just trying to not feel like I'm starving.

It's funny, I read in some 'diet' book some little clip about how fruit is filling and lo-cal. Their argument was it would be hard to eat 3 apples b/c you'd get too full. Um...no. I've done it on days like this, just trying to not be hungry. (And I could have eaten one more but was a little embarassed at myself)

Extra tough since I'm trying to lose some weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
best suggestions i can make are both excellent for you as well: sweet potato and acorn squash. i do them in the microwave (sub-ideal, but takes way less time than the oven!), and find that they're both very filling. not sure if it's because i'm eating something hot or the fibre/water content, but they keep my belly happily full for quite awhile.

i only use a little nutmeg on the acorn squash and nothing at all on sweet potato, so they're not calorie bombs, either.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Usually on days that I do a decent workout in the AM w/o breakfast (like get up and go right for a run...since I can't eat anything before a run).

I like to eat avocados. When I train for IMs and cant' get enough calories I usually eat one before bed. Whole thing with salt and pepper. It keeps me full all night. Other wise I wake up about 2 AM starving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plain yogurt - I like the fat free kind but whole milk yogurt would keep you fuller due to the fat content.

Cottage cheese or scrambled eggs (I'll eat 3 scrambled eggs) - protein usually works for me

Half a cup of cashews (=400 calories or so, and the fat in them seems to be sating)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like no matter what I do I have to eat something every three hours....however: Steel cut oatmeal does the trick. I'll eat 1/2 cup of it dry (~200cal?) and add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and a bit of brown sugar. If I can even finish that it tends to last quite awhile till the hunger beast comes crawling back....

Edit: don't eat it dry, just measure it dry. :)
Last edited by: npda: Nov 10, 10 16:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get some protein and fat. Eat an egg, or some nuts. Calories are calories, but not all calories will give you the same feeling of satiety.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Does anyone else out there have days where you're simply starving and nothing - literally nothing - seems to fill the bottomless pit? I have been starving all day. Not a "I'm bored starving" (infact I've been crazy busy all day which usually slows my appetite) but a feeling like your stomach walls are actually rubbing against one another and you haven't eaten in days when, in truth, you just ate....oh, 15 minutes ago.

I have been craving fat all day yet no matter what I eat, including a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch, I'm still starving. It's not the actual fat or calories I'm concerned with, I'd just love to know if anyone else has found anything that will fill what feels like a void in your belly on days like this.

(For the record - yes, it is that time of the month.)

Anyone have these days?

When I have those days, I usually eat cheesecake. Nothing like 1,000 calories to get your stomach to shut up :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are not alone my friend. Usually this is due to my cycle coming within a week or so. I just eat and eat. I did a half iron last Sunday and I can't stop eating yesterday and today. I guess I am making up for calories I have burned since I don't like to eat much after a race. However, it is very frustrating when I crave food constantly. Scarfed down 3 cupcakes after lunch and was ready to eat again in half an hour. I normally don't crave sweets but that is all I want today. I hope this passes soon. I do notice i eat more on days I do not work out, when I have long hard workouts, my appetite is much lower. Hopefully I won't gain weight while I take a week off after my race. Frustrating!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up
Laura
Quote Reply
Re: Bottomless Pit Days? [alaina1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I have those days, I usually eat cheesecake. Nothing like 1,000 calories to get your stomach to shut up :)

Excellent suggestion!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the suggestions - I'll give them a try next time I'm fighting the bottomless pit battle.

Re: the cheesecake and cupcakes suggestion...that's usually the route I end up going. Like I said, I don't give a damn about the calories (assuming it's not an every day thing) and if it will keep my stomach from eating itself so be it! :)

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I call them "Hobbit Days" - when you have breakfast, second breakfast, brunch, lunch, tea, supper, dinner, etc. and are still hungry.

For me breakfast is a must then some sort of snack when I get to work and an early lunch. If I can keep my hunger in check in the a.m. then I'm usually good for the afternoon and evening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think everyone has some good anecdotal recommendations. But you really want to know what's going on and how to fix it? Find a good sports-focused nutritionist who understands athletes and get some help with your food input. You need some analysis on your workout volumes/intensities and your food input to make sure you are balancing your input with your burn. You need to keep a food dairy and training dairy to be able to understand what is going on and how to get the food you need (and the type of food you need) to balance out your daily requirements so you're not starving all day and so you have the right food at the right time.

It will be an eye opener, trust me.
BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Bottomless Pit Days? [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you forgot "elevensies"

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Bottomless Pit Days? [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think everyone has some good anecdotal recommendations. But you really want to know what's going on and how to fix it? Find a good sports-focused nutritionist who understands athletes and get some help with your food input. You need some analysis on your workout volumes/intensities and your food input to make sure you are balancing your input with your burn. You need to keep a food dairy and training dairy to be able to understand what is going on and how to get the food you need (and the type of food you need) to balance out your daily requirements so you're not starving all day and so you have the right food at the right time.

It will be an eye opener, trust me.
BrokenSpoke

Or you could just eat the cheesecake.

:-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Bottomless Pit Days? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
you forgot "elevensies"

Thank you! I'll be sure to credit you in my new "The Hobbit Diet - 15 Meals a Day to a Better You" (tm) nutrition book.
Quote Reply