Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blue Christmas.
Quote | Reply
Really, there's nothing to be blue about. Fam's good, training's good, everything's relatively in place. But the holidays always make me kinda sad. Anyone else melancholy this time of year?

~~ kate
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Christmas. [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm stuck away from family working through Christmas which is crappy. But I have absolutely nothing else in my life to complain about so I have to keep it all in perspective!

Thankfully, there is skype!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I do get the blues a bit. I feel like a jerk saying it because according to all measures I should be happy but I still struggle. My family always made a big deal about Christmas when I was a kid and I miss that fuss. It looks like my brother and his family will be going to her family's place in Montana so I'll be on my own this year. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude that something will come up so I don't have to be alone for the holiday.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put on xmas music the other night while I was decorating the house and made me sad. Seems totally ass backwards...

Susan Harrell
http://www.endurancezone.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get blue this time of year also, for absolutely no reason. I blame all of the holiday hype, it seems like no matter what you've got going on, there's something better you should be aspiring to. Not buying your significant other an Audi? You suck!

Like others, I count my blessings and try to keep it in perspective. And JenSW, we're in town this year, so if you need company and don't mind a lot of dog hair, you're welcome at our place any time. :-)

Happy holidays, ladies!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Christmas. [mdraegerpnw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, ladies! I'm glad I'm not alone in my irrational and misplaced sadness. Bring on da joy!

I too depend upon my happy-time doggies (all five of um, old & scraggly half-lame & blind english bulldog & basset & labradors) and all o' their tail-waggin leg-thumpin doggie-drooley smiles to lift me out of my holiday funk. Thank the lord for canine slobbery and little doggy hairs everywhere. Makes me smile.

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get blue per se but I do get stressed and I am never stressed out any other time of the year. I keep telling myself that there's nothing to stress about....we have enough money, food, health, family close by but I am wondering if everyone else's stress wears off on me LOL. I can't even go into a store this time of year without a mini panic attack. I don't sleep so well and I feel like I can never get everything done. Sigh. I need to chill out and be more rational :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a hard time at the holidays, from Tgiving straight through NYE. I am a) single; b) 3000 miles away from my parents; c) too old really go to my parents when I need family; and d) Jewish, so my parents aren't celebrating anyway. At least a few of my Tribe friends do the Chinese-food-and-a-movie every year, and I either ride long or host an open-water swim (with cookie exchange) on Christmas morning. But it's a tough 8 weeks or so, every year.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Christmas. [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gee wrote:
I have a hard time at the holidays, from Tgiving straight through NYE. I am a) single; b) 3000 miles away from my parents; c) too old really go to my parents when I need family; and d) Jewish, so my parents aren't celebrating anyway. At least a few of my Tribe friends do the Chinese-food-and-a-movie every year, and I either ride long or host an open-water swim (with cookie exchange) on Christmas morning. But it's a tough 8 weeks or so, every year.
If you live in a warm place to swim, I will be there with a plate of cookies.
Since I was a child, I have never cared for the winter holidays because they are crazy and a lot of people show their true colors. The weather is what ruins my life high because I can't go out and play like I do when it is warm. I am already looking forward to Spring.

Quote | Reply
Aw, thank you :-) We should at least get together for a cupcake, or two.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Christmas. [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely!

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get kind of grouchy. I hate the idea of buying obligatory gifts for people and spending too much money on stupid crap. This year my family decided to do homemade food related gifts as we all like to cook, so I'm actually not too grouchy. Hubby's family on the other hand, buys for everyone, siblings, nieces/nephews and since we're sort of newlyweds, I leave all that up to him.

I think the weather, the darkness, high expectations and family drama is a recipe for disaster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While only reading the subject line, I thought someone here was getting a sweet Triad this Christmas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate Christmas. Not because of Christians or the baby Jesus or anything because, you know, I like people doing their thing but I find the whole holiday season disgusting and the worst humanity has to offer in a non war way. I just grit my teeth and wait for the best day of the year, January 5th, the day the holidays end for me and I stop hating a little.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter, Teal Noelle, loves this time of year, but she is 9, so I guess that is a given. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate Christmas! It is all way too complicated! I cannot wait until it is all over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, or well used to be more so, til I put expectations aside. Easier said than done. But really WHO cares the most if everything is 'perfect' (perfect being, based on a warped standard you may have looking back 20 plus years into the past) and it everything is done a certain way and if you spent enough $ and got enough gifts? The person who cares about that all is YOU. Let it go and it will be so much better!
Maybe easier for me to say I do not have kids. For many many reasons spending time with our 'relatives' (related to us, but do not seem like 'family') is stressful, upsetting and expensive so we spend the day together instead without feeling that we 'should' sepnd lots of $ to travel somewhere we do not want to be. Sometimes we go to a movie, ski, hike with the dog, etc. I am sure many think it is selfish, but it makes us happy. We've had a Christmas tree, usually we do not. Sometimes we have a traditional meal, this year we are going for Indian food.
I do get blue remembering being a kid at times but our family was really screwed up then and still is. I would rather enjoy the holiday with someone I really want to spend time with.... We will be those 'crazy' people you see out on Christmas running or biking.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Christmas. [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
If you live in a warm place to swim, I will be there with a plate of cookies.
Since I was a child, I have never cared for the winter holidays because they are crazy and a lot of people show their true colors. The weather is what ruins my life high because I can't go out and play like I do when it is warm. I am already looking forward to Spring.

Santa Monica, 8am, weather dependent -- swim or watch or just eat cookies. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Christmas. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. Too much retail crap. It's just a way to close out the year. I've worked 10 of the last 12 Christmases at the airline anyway...

Mr. Tibbs wrote:
I hate Christmas. Not because of Christians or the baby Jesus or anything because, you know, I like people doing their thing but I find the whole holiday season disgusting and the worst humanity has to offer in a non war way. I just grit my teeth and wait for the best day of the year, January 5th, the day the holidays end for me and I stop hating a little.
Quote Reply