Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blister help for my Dad
Quote | Reply
Hi all!
So I had my Dad here over the holidays and he is 64 and really trying to lose some weight. He mentioned that every time he goes for his walks at about 5 miles he gets really bad blisters. He is wearing cotton socks which seem really thick and have extra padding at the toe and heel. He also has the softest feet ever- (don't laugh) soooo here are my thoughts and I wanted to see if you all agreed or had better ideas. But I was thinking of recommending a thinner non cotton sock figuring that his feet are likely really sweaty (I know again please don't laugh :)))) and if he had one that would wick better maybe it would help. What do you think? Does anyone have any suggestions on socks that would be helpful.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Blister help for my Dad [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to get nasty blisters from running. I bought double layered socks from the Running Room and I have never had a blister while wearing these socks. They have two layers so one layer rubs against the shoe and the other rubs against your foot = no blisters.

https://www.shop.runningroom.com/...id=1&&page=2

*I was used to be a ballet dancer and I've got nasty, hard as nails skin on my deformed feet. This quick fix might not work for someone with soft skin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a terrible time with blisters for a few months until my skin toughened up a bit... which might be what he will go through. I swear by wearing thin, Asics socks (the specific type is just for women, so I won't suggest them!). But my guess is that it's a combination of cotton socks and shoes-- has he been fit for some good shoes?

Nu-Skin was also big life saver for me... I ran with huge blisters and couldn't feel a thing. You can pick that up at any drugstore.
Last edited by: JNelly7: Jan 1, 09 22:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definately get it out of the thick cotton socks and he probably needs different shoes. Start with thin Coolmax or the double layered ones socks as suggest. His feet are probably swelling and they have no where to go with the thick socks on. Also, if he doesn't have sneakers a half size larger than his dress shoes that will be another problem with swelling.

Some people swear by baby powder but I usually find that the right socks make all the difference. Send him a big package of different varieties as your post-holiday present :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Blister help for my Dad [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the socks, and check out the shoes he has.

Make sure they actually fit his feet, they may be too tight or too loose.

Check his gate as well, he may have a hitch in his giddyup that is causing issues (severe pronator etc).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moleskin and duoderm to help with current blisters.

Moleskin, you cut a donut shape around the blister and it helps take some of the pressure off it.

Dudoerm is a sheet of soft something or other that you can put over a blister, particularly if the top layer of skin is gone - has a topical antibiotic in it that will help the blister heal quickly.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed about the socks, my brand of choice is WrightSock.

If his feet are so super soft, I wonder if he'd benefit from using a light coating of BodyGlide before a walk. 5 miles at a walking pace has a person on their feet for quite a while!
Quote Reply
Re: Blister help for my Dad [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the posts. I did recommend the body glide to him but I will take all of the suggestions on the socks and see what will work. I love the idea of a care package with all sorts of socks for him to try! Thanks everyone for validating my thoughts and adding even more!!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being in the military, I do a lot on my feet. A trick I learned is to soak your feet in salt water. It takes a little bit of time, but if you soak them once a day for about two weeks, i doubt he will have problems. Also panty hose under any normal soak does well too....just make sure he doesnt go crazy and pull a mel gibson with it.
Quote Reply