Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best All Women's races and other favorite events
Quote | Reply
I attend a lot of events each year, as a vendor for tribabe, as a participant or as a cheering section for my husband. All of these events have been in the NW so far, I would enjoy hearing about other great events people have attended to see if it's worth the journey. Here are my favorites:
  • All Women's Triathlon Series (title sponsor was Subaru last year) benefits ovarian cancer research. I attended the event at Federal Way, WA last year and was impressed by swag and race organization. The swim is in a small lake near Seattle and the bike course is closed. http://www.uswts.com/
  • Two events near Spokane, WA: Valley Girl triathlon and the Wunderwoman triathlon, both sprint events held at lakes. These events sell out quickly and for good reason, they give out really cute t-shirts and put on a great event. http://www.valleygirltri.com/
  • Hippie Chick 1/2 marathon (south of Portland) is held on mother's day on a nice course and has an excellent vibe with racers wearing tie dye and having fun. Also some good competition at this event. Sells out fast: http://runwithpaula.com/content/view/12/30/
  • Other favorite races: Wildflower, Beaver Freezer sprint triathlon, and IM CDA

Quote Reply
Re: Best All Women's races and other favorite events [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My very first triathlon was an all-women's race close to Toronto in Milton, Ontario. It was a fantastic experience, especially for my first race. It was an independent race back then, but now I see it's part of a 2 race series in the area: http://www.womenstriathlon.com/eve/

I couldn't believe the amount of support that the other racers gave me on race day. I couldn't go 20 feet in the run without someone cheering me on (other racers). There were several out and back sections, so I was always passing someone who was cheering me on. I really think this is a great way to encourage women to get into racing. I'm not really interested in racing women's only events anymore, but I would in order to encourage newbies.
Quote Reply
Re: Best All Women's races and other favorite events [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barb's Race, the women's only 1/2 IM race the same day as the full Vineman. It's a great first half IM since the field isn't as large (nor as amped up) as the Vineman 70.3. And the fast guys in the full VM are very supportive out on the run course for the BOP ladies in the half. When my gals here ask about which half to do, that's the one I recommend.

I think you could do very well at the expo!

http://www.vineman.com

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What clm said. Barb's race is great. When you're out there on the run, feeling tired, you can say to yourdelf, at least I don't have to run a marathon like that guy.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although new last year, Iron Girl Atlanta (Lake Lanier) sprint was great. The swim was in a water park, the bike was very hilly and picturesque, and the run was in a flat and shady park. There were only around 400 of us and there was lots of fan support. After winning her age group, Michellie Jones came back out on the run to encourage the common woman. My sister was nursing plantar fascittis and started to walk shortly into the run. Michellie threw her arm around my sister's shoulder and said "Let's just run to the water station." To which my sister replied, "This is my first and I hate it." Needless to say, we're on again for this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Best All Women's races and other favorite events [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love to hear this- I am planning on doing Barb's Race as my first HIM this year. Everything about it appeals to me! Thanks for the input.

The only All-Women's race I've done is the Nike Women's Marathon, which was my first marathon in 2005. Actually, men can participate but there were very few, and no one fast to spoil the fun. :) It was a very Team In Training-oriented race, so there was some support from that crowd, but otherwise there wasn't a lot of crowd support on the course. A tough run but very beautiful and the Tiffany necklace they give out as a finisher's medal is very nice.

Training for: Barb's Race HIM 8.2.08
Quote Reply
Re: Best All Women's races and other favorite events [quigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine did the Nike Women's Mary as her first as well, I think it was in '04. She had never been to SF before, so was completely unprepared for the hills. (I tried to describe them to her, but if you're from the East Coast, there just isn't any equivalent.) But she really loved the race, had a wonderful experience and I'm very jealous of her finisher's medal!

I have a special place in my heart for the Danskin series. I've done the New York & Seattle versions and am frequently trying to get some of my non-tri friends to do one.

I wish there were more women's half/oly distance races! Barb's race in on my to do list, though!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Best All Women's races and other favorite events [reensander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree -- the Ryka Iron Girl at Lake Lanier was excellent. It was my first women's only race. I was reluctant to do a women's race, but it was fantastic! It was organized very well, and Judy Molnar was even handling registration herself. Michellie Jones was very encouraging to participants, and very patient with those of us who asked her to pose for pictures and sign autographs. The age group awards were amazing -- top 3 in each age group received a sterling silver cuff bracelet inscribed with "Iron Girl," and also a certificate for a free pair of Ryka shoes.

I wouldn't hesitate to do this race again (or any in the Iron Girl series), but I'm wondering what the age group awards will be now that AFLAC is the primary sponsor. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All womens events are thin on the ground around here but we do a series each year, Rocketchix Triathlon, www.rocketchix.com - held at LSU. It is heavy on beginners with a pool swim but the all girl vibe has been such a great experience that we are expanding to other types of events with an all woman theme (Aquathon last year and an Adventure Run this fall). Probably not the race to travel across the US for, but if you are down near Baton Rouge some time give us a tri (pun intended). We don't exclude the guys - they get involved with volunteering on the course and our fall event usually offers a guy event after the Chix race.

Our races benefit the Rocketkidz Foundation (as does our kids tri the day after the second Chix tri in the summer).
Quote Reply
Re: Best All Women's races and other favorite events [Tightey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Rocketchix Triathlon<<

I love that name!!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best All Women's races and other favorite events [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the Ryka IronGirl race in Columbia MD. Great race, a tough challenging course (hilly & hot), w/ a great spectator vibe. Lots of positive encouragement. Many first time triathlete's. Wonderfully well organized race. I'm doing it again this year. Highly recommend it to any woman.
Quote Reply
Race for the Cure, Little Rock, AR. 35k+ women [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race for the Cure in Little Rock, AR.

Women only. The year I did it there were roughly 35,000 women (YES, that is right) and they do what is called the "2 Miles of Men" and the men, hubbies, sons, dads, etc, line the street and cheer you on.

The Survivor Parade is larger than most cities race, male and female.

Possibly THE most amazing experience to date for me. I can look back at the race (now 6+ years ago) and I still tear up at the sight of 35,000 women running for breast cancer.

I really want to go back and do it again.

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the All Women's Triathlon Series. I did the one in Federal Way, WA a few years ago when it was sponsored by Reebok. I remember this bullet blowing by me on the bike and wondering who it was. Turns out it was Michellie Jones. She was great; super encouraging to everyone and spent lots of time afterwards doing photos and autographs. It's been awkward timing for me for the past few years but I definitely would love to do it again.

There used to be one in Vancouver, WA called the Tyr Women's Triathlon at the end of June. I haven't heard about it recently but it was terrific. Competitive but really laid back and everyone was really supportive of one another. It's a sprint on a nice flat course and they even had a bottle exchange on the bike.

halliet
Quote Reply
Re: Best All Women's races and other favorite events [reensander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you liked the Iron Girl at Lake Lanier, you should try the Acworth Women's Sprint, north of Atlanta. It's put on by the same people, GA Multisport. The Bike is not flat, but you do get to ride down Cobb Parkway WITH NO TRAFFIC! Which is fast and about the coolest thing ever. The run is through neighborhoods and then into historic downtown Acworth. It seems like the whole town turns out, so there is fabulous crowd support.
Quote Reply