Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beginner
Quote | Reply
Hello Slowtwitch!
I can't tell you how long it has been since I've been on. I'm writing today to anyone that can help me...

I would like to know if someone can recommend a beginner training regimen for a Half Ironman. I've just completed my first sprint and doing my second one in September. The 70.3 I would like to conquer would be the Half Ironman in Haines City, FL in April/ 2015.

Maybe Im counting my chickens before they hatch, but at least the idea is there...

Thank you to anyone who's taken the time to read this.

Michelle
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner [mgoodwin16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there! A half ironman is a big but achievable goal.

I worked with coaches for my long distance racing so unfortunately I can't recommend a specific plan. I just wanted to say hi and give you a virtual "high 5" for taking this on and planning ahead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did my first triathlon in June and my first half ironman in July, so its possible to do for you! I joined a Triathlon team in NYC though, so I don't have any advice on training programs. If you can find a coached team, I highly recommend it. I'm way more knowledgeable in triathlon than I thought I'd be after 9 months of training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a fair bit of information out on the interweb if you've a mind to look for it.

I did my first full IM a few years ago self coached & loosely guided by a plan I found on Beginner Triathlete, however I also had a couple of experienced mates who filled in a few gaps.

Whether you go fully coached, with a tri club or fly solo is such a personal decision depending on how confident you feel but absolutely no reason you shouldn't be aiming for the 70.3 in April if you put in the effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!!! High 5 right back at ya ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone for all your motivation!!! I can't tell you all how excited I am to get this one under my belt. I will definitely look into all your recommendations and keep posting my progress or questions!

Thank you!
Michelle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Michelle,

You might want to check out http://www.beginnertriathlete.com, if you haven't already. They even have some custom plans if you pay for being a silver or gold member, and it's relatively inexpensive (well, less expensive than an online coach). My daughter is also new to triathlon. Her first one is going to be the Pumpkinman triathlon in Las Vegas in late October, and she's set up one of the custom plans. The website is pretty user friendly, and you can set it up so it sends you your daily workout to your e-mail or smart phone. Besides the SBR stuff, you can also add in a couple of strength training sessions on the lighter days.

Good luck on that half!

Kate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to check out Matt Fitzgerald's Essential Week by Week Training Guide. You can find it on Amazon. It has 10 different level plans for each of the Tri distances. Best $15 I've spent.

I did my first half on a similar schedule as you, a first year of sprints and olys, and then a spring half the second year. Totally doable.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I have also looked on Tripeaks.com and they provide a few basic plans. I purchased the book, Your First Triathlon by Jow Friel, for my first tri. He has a few training plans on Tripeaks.com that I am looking into. But thanks again for the suggestions.

All of this came in handy!

Michelle
Quote Reply