Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Barriers to the Sport?
Quote | Reply
Hi ladies,

I would love to hear what you feel are the barriers to this sport for you? There is no right or wrong answers as it can be different for all! When I first started I struggled with money to acquire new gear and 10 years later I struggle with training - trying to managing my time between working and being a mom. I think we should use this to give tips and suggestions to each other and show our support to one another!
Quote Reply
Re: Barriers to the Sport? [richellelove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest I haven't experienced any barriers that are unique to females. I think the guys probably struggle just as hard trying to balance training with work and family. I'm lucky enough to have a stable job that pays me enough to get on a monthly coaching program, I used to struggle with training, didn't know when to do what, when to push/rest and ended up spending a lot of time on workouts that didn't necessarily benefit so getting a coach changed that and has worked well so far.

One disadvantage of being female though - post workout gym to office transitions are always longer than most guys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fear/guilt about riding on road given conditions here, with two kids as dependents.

other than that, almost all barriers are internal rather than external, meaning being smarter about time use, more patient with recovery and more consistently motivated can overcome them.

interesting subject!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Familiarity -- When I started literally no one I knew was doing triathlon. I had to kind of wing it.
Money -- It's not a cheap sport. I bought (and still buy) equipment a bit at a time or when I can find a deal.
Time -- I don't have kids, but I still have a full-time job (some weeks full time plus) with a commute, and do all of the grocery prep and cooking as well as errands and general housekeeping. When you eat healthy foods it's a lot of work in the kitchen. I batch cook as much as I can, but for example last night I was making lunch salads until 10:30 and still up by 5:30 to get ready for work. It's important that we eat healthfully so I make the time but damn, I feel like I spend 50% of my waking hours chopping.
Attitude/safety -- Some idiot mansplained how to rack my bike at my last 70.3, I get yelled at/catcalled when I am out riding, I have to be aware of my surroundings when I run, etc. It's bullshit that I have to worry about this only because I'm a woman. Plus I'm at the age where most people assume I'll give up that silly triathlon fad and start a family soon (no thanks), so I get decent amount of shade for that. I'd be surprised if men got this same attitude.
Resources -- I live in the city and all of the tri groups are in the rich suburbs in the opposite direction from my office. My two regular pools and another I have access to have lame or no master's groups. I have to drive 45 minutes to a park with decent hills for riding. My "triathlon community" consists of 1-2 tri friends, a Facebook group, and a tri/bike shop near my office.

I don't know if I have any tips -- ha ha -- but I've kind of made it work for me with obsessive planning, compromise, the support of my husband, knowing not every week will be amazing, being careful, and having an "whatever, I do what I want" attitude.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never felt gender based barriers to this sport. And I'd be surprised to hear that women on ST do, just b/c I don't view ST as much of a beginner's forum. I may be wrong but that's been my perspective.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Barriers to the Sport? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. How do we get more newbie's involved? I have been in the sport for over 10 years and own a triathlon store. I am interested to hear all of your perspectives. The goal is to encourage all (male or female) to partake in this sport. I always love to hear others experiences. Thank you for contributing ladies. And if anyone has ideas how we can get more new athletes on Slowtwitch please post. It is an amazing platform for all levels of triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm currently raging against the main page post asking what kind of female body types men prefer, so maybe a little less of that on a triathlon forum.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cycling ...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Barriers to the Sport? [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for starting this thread, Richelle.
Beginners have to start someplace and I've noticed that this forum is pretty welcoming to the rookies who have the nerve to actually sign up and post.
Who knows how many are lurking and not posting, but I'm sure they get a lot of good info mixed in w the usual keyboard warrior rhetoric.
Here's a little bit more than 2 cents, maybe up to .25 (canadian or american currency, you choose...)
  • A triathlon is swim, bike, run. Multisport can be a combo of all or any of the three of those, sometimes w skiing, canoeing, waterslide, etc to make it fun. Distances are whatever they are.
  • All anybody needs to do a triathlon is a pair of sneakers, a swimsuit, cap and goggles, a shirt for the run, a helmet and bike with gears. ITU and Ironman Champion Karen Smyers did her first race on a bike with baskets. Indoor triathlons can be done in a pool w spin bikes. An easy free training plan is a great idea, too, and there are lots of those online.
  • As was pointed out by Larissa Lewis in the Q&A portion after Andrew Messick's keynote speech last week at the Triathlon Business Int'l Conference: " People think that a triathlon means Ironman, and WTC may be doing the industry a disservice because all we see on TV is people crawlin' and cryin' on the Queen K" I think we've all had the conversation about a "FULL" or "REAL" triathlon... ie it's Ironman or nothing impression...
  • WTC sells this pretty hard, and all of us who've raced a long time are drinking this gatorade that we're somehow breathing rarified air because we've completed 140.6.It is a huge accomplishment which required commitment, sacrifice, money, etc, and we appreciate that in ourselves and others. It's a life-changing day, however it turns out. BUT we still put our pants on one leg at a time when it's all over.
  • For us as a tri community to welcome and encourage others, we need only to remember some of our first strides and strokes, the excitement/nervousness/fear of that first sprint race; share stories of the steps and missteps along the way (the funny ones, not the expensive or disastrous ones.)

Bottom line: make it look like fun w a little bit of a challenge tossed in for good measure.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
Well, I'm currently raging against the main page post asking what kind of female body types men prefer, so maybe a little less of that on a triathlon forum.
It is weird that she seems to have joined the forum just to start that thread. We can really do without that shit.
Quote Reply
Re: Barriers to the Sport? [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I would have checked that before I allowed myself to get so angry. You live and learn, I guess.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
richellelove wrote:
Interesting. How do we get more newbie's involved? I have been in the sport for over 10 years and own a triathlon store. I am interested to hear all of your perspectives. The goal is to encourage all (male or female) to partake in this sport. I always love to hear others experiences. Thank you for contributing ladies. And if anyone has ideas how we can get more new athletes on Slowtwitch please post. It is an amazing platform for all levels of triathletes.
It's been documented that 60% of the Rock N Roll Marathon half participants are women, but also we've noticed that a lot of the 13.1 runners are considering a triathlon as their next athletic goal.
A "tri Curious" booth run by the local tri clubs at the larger 13.1 races with info about training, equipment, upcoming races, and "Tri 101" (inexpensive or free) run by a local tri, bike or run store would be effective and would link the "Gee, I want to" to "see you wednesday evening for the first tri training group."
Eeons ago, my Quintana Roo boss (you know him as slowman) wrote a series of weekly articles in the Orange County Register w training plans to get people off the couch and ready for the Orange County Triathlon (Int'l distance.) We had a couple of meet ups with athletes for rides, runs, and swims. This was before the era of internet, coaches, and 25 kinds of gels, and it worked beautifully.
Let's discuss.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if this is true for you guys out there, but I seem to notice that the proportion of naysayers seems to be higher in the sport? I think newbies, especially the ones who start out with relatively slower timings can use a lot more encouragement and help, from choosing a bike to learning how to go through transition. In my local community, I've seen instances of fellow athletes criticising and giving crap to other athletes who are slower/have a spate of DNFs...I remember a mate getting yelled at when she joined her husband's almost all guy and very fast cycling group for the first time. She was drafting mid-pack when she couldn't keep up and let the gap open and then got yelled at for letting the gap open 1 bike length. Guess those guys never had an off day before?

Another mate had a spate of DNFs and was going to make a final attempt at an IM when he got into a traffic accident while training and fractured several parts of his body. We ran into one of his other mates at a race and his mate blasted his training methods and said he's a goner, never gonna make it back and he wasn't gonna make it through his IM even if he didn't get into his accident anyway. Ouch.

So my point is...be nice. I know of some cyclists who were toying with the idea of getting into triathlon but decided not to because triathletes look too "pro", "unfriendly" and "triathletes don't say hi to others."

My 2 cents.
Quote Reply
Re: Barriers to the Sport? [hokeypokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that depends on where you live. I belong to a local multisport club, and they are very welcoming to newcomers. We even have a couple members who only run or only mountain bike but were just looking for a fun club where they can meet people to train with. My only knock against anyone is that sometimes there can be pressure to do an Ironman, and I think that can be off-putting. New people might feel that they aren't really triathletes because they haven't done one, or some people just may not have the time or inclination to put in the training for a race that long.

In general, though, people around here are pretty welcoming. There have been a couple of times when I have gotten pushback from some of the older men in the area who ride, but men my age (43) or younger have never given me a problem. If anything, they go out of their way to involve me because they are trying to buoy the sport's numbers by getting more women involved.

Bike shops can be a different matter, though. Some are very cool, but others have an attitude problem. I can see how if a woman has a bad experience in the first shop or two that she goes into, it could completely turn her off.
Quote Reply
Re: Barriers to the Sport? [hokeypokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your story makes me sad. I've definitely encountered "long-course snobbery" out there, but being yelled at? Getting a hard time for being hit by a car? It sounds like some new friends are in order. =(

I LOOOOOOOOVE the idea of a "tri-curious" booth! I'm not a member of a tri team but I would totally volunteer to do this at a race expo. When I was looking to get into tri I honestly had no idea where to start. This would be a great entry point.

Yeah, I forgot about the bike shop thing. I did have to shop around to find a non-snobby bike shop. The shop that built and fit my used bike was pretty understanding when I explained that I was a brand-newbie, and the shop by my office is welcoming and supportive to all levels.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For barriers, someone else mentioned snobby bike shops. I'd add to that to say the boys' club bike shops that can be intimidating or insulting to women. It's hard enough being new to the sport and trying to make decisions on big purchases without being talked down to for your lack of knowledge, and always hard to figure out if it's because they're snobs to all newbies or are misogynists. A friend who's a mountain biker has far worse stories than any of my experiences with tri and roadie shops, sad to say.

I also had issues with tri shops pushing me towards womens specific gear when I knew it wouldn't work for me. The guy who insisted I try on the women's wet suits ensured his store lost the sale - I bought a brand they sold but at a different store where they actually listened and put me in mens/unisex suits to start off with.

We should really reward the stores that treat all their customers equally and direct our newbie tri sisters to them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Richellelove,

Great question! I have been at this over 8 years now and when others ask me about triathlons, the responses (or "barriers") they give me are:
  • I could never do that!
  • I'm too slow.
  • I would be last.
  • I don't know how to swim.
  • I prefer group classes.
  • I hate running.
  • I don't have time.

Generalizing the feedback I get, the barriers seem to fall into 2 categories: 1) time, and 2) fear of not being "good enough".

Personally, my barrier was fear. I was extremely intimidated about the sport when I started. I didn't know what to wear (3 sports? in one day!?!); I didn't know how to train; I didn't know if I could even finish a sprint. Fortunately, I was ready for a personal challenge and decided back then that I would rather try it out and laugh at myself than sit back and be afraid.

As a newbie, I found everything about the sport confusing. I asked a veteran triathlete what kind of bike to get...her answer? "One that fits." Huh? What the heck? I have seen that answer many times on this forum, but it was meaningless to me at the time. I know what it means now, and it is 100% true...but it was one of the more "unhelpful" answers to my bike questions.

I laugh now as I remember my confusion. After 6 Ironman races (now training for #7), I find myself now to be a veteran of the sport. But I am still laughing at myself, because I am still learning.

Someone who used to post a long time ago had a tagline: If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough. I have muttered that to myself many times over the years...and have some pretty good stories because of it.

DreamMaker

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I did have to shop around to find a non-snobby bike shop."

Not just bike shops. We had a scuba shop in our area with an anti women attitude. Totally stupid when you consider that 50% of newbie divers are women nowadays. They're no longer in business. I wonder why.

It was actually me that got my wife into triathlons. I decided to try one and asked her to give it a go with me. She didn't even think she could do one despite have been a competitive x-country college runner, good swimmer and semi decent cyclist even before doing a tri. Ironically, she beat me in our first tri, a local sprint. I think having a supportive sig other can make it a lot easier.
Quote Reply
Re: Barriers to the Sport? [dreammaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dreammaker wrote:
Hi Richellelove,

Great question! I have been at this over 8 years now and when others ask me about triathlons, the responses (or "barriers") they give me are:
  • I could never do that!
  • I'm too slow.
  • I would be last.
  • I don't know how to swim.
  • I prefer group classes.
  • I hate running.
  • I don't have time.

Generalizing the feedback I get, the barriers seem to fall into 2 categories: 1) time, and 2) fear of not being "good enough".

Personally, my barrier was fear. I was extremely intimidated about the sport when I started. I didn't know what to wear (3 sports? in one day!?!); I didn't know how to train; I didn't know if I could even finish a sprint. Fortunately, I was ready for a personal challenge and decided back then that I would rather try it out and laugh at myself than sit back and be afraid.

As a newbie, I found everything about the sport confusing. I asked a veteran triathlete what kind of bike to get...her answer? "One that fits." Huh? What the heck? I have seen that answer many times on this forum, but it was meaningless to me at the time. I know what it means now, and it is 100% true...but it was one of the more "unhelpful" answers to my bike questions.

I laugh now as I remember my confusion. After 6 Ironman races (now training for #7), I find myself now to be a veteran of the sport. But I am still laughing at myself, because I am still learning.

Someone who used to post a long time ago had a tagline: If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough. I have muttered that to myself many times over the years...and have some pretty good stories because of it.

DreamMaker

There is a lot of truth in there. I really had a hard time figuring out what to wear. Everything that I saw was aimed at women with small breasts, and I could not figure out how wear something that I could swim and run in (solution--a good, opaque black sports bra and tri shorts).

I also think that people way overthink the bike for the first race. We need to tell people: Your first race is just to see if you like it. You can borrow a bike. You can rent a bike. You can buy a cheap comfort bike because you feel happy riding it, and that will make you ride it more. Then, after you decide you are hooked, get a road bike. It is more versatile than a tri bike and less intimidating.

Fear of coming in last was real, too. That and tripping right before the finish line and falling in front of everyone. I haven't been last yet, but I have been last out of the water. I raised my arms and yelled, "last swimmer!" and everyone cheered. And, hey, no problem finding my bike in T1. For the people who do finish last in a race, it isn't like spectators throw rotten fruit or boo. They get cheered and have their names called like everyone else. I have also decided that if I fall at the finish line, I will just take a bow. Some things are what you make of them.

There are ways to ease into the sport, too. My first race was a duathlon (couldn't figure out the clothes thing and transitions seemed much simpler). I came in second and when I heard my name called as I crossed the finish line, I was hooked. Some races have pool swims, which can be good for people who are afraid of open water.

There are options out there, and I think that people, especially women who tend to not get as much time to themselves, need to understand that there is a lot more to triathlons besides doing IM on a superbike and making a complete lifestyle out it. It can be just a fun, healthy hobby.
Quote Reply
Re: Barriers to the Sport? [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Karen. It's Kebby with Coeur (http://www.coeursports.com/). This is a topic that we discuss frequently in the office and I have to say that your answer is spot on.

We particularly like your last point where you rightfully call out that we need to "welcome and encourage others". From personal experience, I know that the first race can make or break it for someone. An encouraging word or even just a friendly smile from the person next to you in transition can make all the difference in the world (I was literally so scared I couldn't speak at my first race). If we as a community can find a way to make the first interaction positive, I think we have a shot of literally changing people's lives. If on the other hand, the first experience is negative, then it's probably one and done for the new entrant to triathlon. We go out of our way to encourage our ambassadors to represent the sport, but I have to think that there is more that can be done.

Do you think there is a way to get all (or some of) the triathlon related companies to align around a message of encouragement to new entrants? For example, we saw where some bike shops were teaming up to fund a campaign similar to "Got Milk" for cycling.

We're still small, but Coeur would be willing to chip in some $$'s and do what we could to help fund an initiative aimed at promoting triathlon and making it more welcoming for women (and men too).

Thanks,

Kebby
Quote Reply
Re: Barriers to the Sport? [Charlotte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's an initiative that one of the Slowtwitch Road Show retailers is launching, what a great idea!
http://www.fraserbicycle.com/...ke-a-woman-pg216.htm
What will probably happen is, 8 lucky women will win this, and a bunch more will want to train along with them.
These guys pretty much planned their own show with some Slowtwitch help.
4 event directors will be there registering athletes for their races. I think that people will sign up for races, they'll have all the training, equipment, etc info on site and plenty of athletes to talk to, so they can be all ready to start getting ready for their race.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karen...this looks like an amazing event. Thank you so much for sharing. We reached out to Paul this morning to find out if we can donate some give away items and possible even sponsor the event. Thanks again! Kebby http://www.coeursports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
STConcierge wrote:
Here's an initiative that one of the Slowtwitch Road Show retailers is launching, what a great idea!
http://www.fraserbicycle.com/...ke-a-woman-pg216.htm
What will probably happen is, 8 lucky women will win this, and a bunch more will want to train along with them.
These guys pretty much planned their own show with some Slowtwitch help.
4 event directors will be there registering athletes for their races. I think that people will sign up for races, they'll have all the training, equipment, etc info on site and plenty of athletes to talk to, so they can be all ready to start getting ready for their race.
KS

Hey, this is kind of in my neck of the woods. I was planning on attending the Road Show anyway; I'll make sure to check it out.

Quote Reply