Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BC Pillls and muscle mass
Quote | Reply
Hi ladies -

A really interesting study was just released that showed women who take birth control pills build less lean muscle mass than women who are not on the pill.

CHICAGO - Young women seeking a sculpted, muscular silhouette may want to avoid taking oral contraceptives, U.S. researchers said on Friday.

They found women who were not taking birth control pills gained 60 percent more muscle mass after a 10-week weight training program than those who were.

In a statement the team said that oral contraceptives appear to have a negative effect on women's ability to build lean muscle, but they added that future studies were needed to explain why.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30266121/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: BC Pillls and muscle mass [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They sure do have a good effect on me not producing babies though. Stickin to the pill.

Quote | Reply
We are triathletes, we don't want muscle mass. Don't you read the main forum?

I wonder if the same holds true for other BC options, like the Nuva Ring? If not, maybe I'll go back on the pill. My lats are getting kinda huge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be nice if they linked to the actual article and it's abstract, I want to see who the subjects were, sample size, experimental protocol... I'll try and dig it up later...

As for "future studies needed to explain why" I bet it is some interaction of hormones - testosterone is needed to build muscles - do oral contraceptives suppress the [small] level of testosterone females have even more?

I'm interested :-) good thing I got my homework done this weekend so I can look at this later today.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: BC Pillls and muscle mass [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
They sure do have a good effect on me not producing babies though. Stickin to the pill.
I am agree with D!..I also think so.Stickin to the pill.

Natural cure for yeast infections

The complete yeast infection cure

Natural cure for genital warts

Quote Reply
Re: BC Pillls and muscle mass [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the summary theorizes it is the reduction in testosterone and the increase in something that raises cortisol.

I'd be curious if an increase in protein would compensate for some of it.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: BC Pillls and muscle mass [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As for "future studies needed to explain why" I bet it is some interaction of hormones - testosterone is needed to build muscles - do oral contraceptives suppress the [small] level of testosterone females have even more?
Bingo!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: BC Pillls and muscle mass [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recommend anyone who is on hormone based bc get your testosterone levels checked. I was on them for 21 years and have 0 testosterone. It is known side effect and not discussed.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
K, well hindsight and all, but your doc shouldn't have let you be on BC for > 21yrs w/out a break. That is just negligence in my medical opinion. Yeah, low testosterone is a side effect, plus lack of B-vitamin uptake in the gut, etc., etc. BC pills is the not end all be all out there. Yeah, it has a 92-98% efficacy rating, but what about the other%'s ladies. Why don't you get the men in your lives to deal with BC instead of you?

N~
Quote Reply
Re: BC Pillls and muscle mass [kitkat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unfortunately we often rely on our docs for advice, I know I have in the past and still do in some respects. sad but good advice doesn't always happen. my doc would have kept me on them forever until I told her I wanted off - they were making me extremely pissy all the time. good thing the BF stepped up as it were. problem solved (except the minor acne dammit).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why don't you get the men in your lives to deal with BC instead of you?
One reason:
'cuz I take them for the estrogen (good for bones).

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ha! ok, I just actually read the link. I still want to dig up the whole study. I can't find it on PubMed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you get the men in your lives to deal with BC instead of you?

I'd rather be in charge of that myself. I don't take any pills though, IUD for me. Never have to think about it.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: BC Pillls and muscle mass [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Switched to IUD last summer.

I've had many doctors over those 21 years and have asked them about whether I should be on them as long as I have. Every one said there was no problems with long term use. I didn't buy into it and finally decided to go off them.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just thinking about BC and it's effect on my performance. I'm on BC at the moment and find that as soon as I start taking the placebo my watts are higher in training (about 10 watts), I swim about 1 sec faster per 100 pace and I can run a touch faster -I also feel stronger (apart from the cramps). Maybe this is just my mind playing tricks on me, but I feel like I would be faster off the pill.

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Quote Reply
Re: BC Pillls and muscle mass [jellyfish1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been on BC pills since I was 15. I am now 40. Three times I have taken myself off and three times I have been pregnant the very same month! I am not going off them again until forced to do so!
Quote Reply
Re: BC Pillls and muscle mass [jellyfish1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lore of Running says there's no performance enhancement or detriment due to BCP

I think the explanation for you is, not that is' on the pill/off the pill - because on the placebo week you are still ON IT. It is maybe something happening with your hormones around that week - ie if you had normal menstrual cycles without it, you would experience the same thing

just a thought

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is really interesting. I'm off BC right now because I'm breastfeeding and I'm the fastest I've ever been. Maybe the lack of BC is contributing to my performance improvements along with all the other post pregnancy stuff that happens to a woman (and maybe because I'm also training smarter). Something to think about when I need to go back on BC.
Quote Reply
Re: BC Pillls and muscle mass [kben102] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Copper IUD is great. No hormones, better protection than the pill because of the lack of accidental forgetfulness. Got it put in the same day I went in to the Dr. I did research before going in so I knew what I wanted. Since I got the testosterone cream I feel soooo much better. Between that and the sun being out I feel great. My training feels really strong, my mood is better, I have more energy. My Dr. said low testosterone can cause depression which I've been wrestling with for a couple months now. Balanced hormones rock!

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the pill, I have no periods. I hate the thought of returned periods. It is such a hassle when racing and training. I also experience extreme PMS the few times I have been pill and pregnancy free. The pill seems to level out my moods. I asked my Dr about IUD's after last pregnancy and he doesn't even offer them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been looking for information regarding the correlation between depression/low energy and low testosterone and haven't had much luck. I have been on the pill for about 12 years but recently seem to be more moody. Maybe this is something I need to talk with my OBGYN about.
Quote Reply
Re: BC Pillls and muscle mass [MCG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definately talk to your GYN. Don't let him/her tell you you are too young if you are under 40. I just turned 40 beginning of march and things didn't suddenly change that day. This has been going on with me for a while now so clearly it happens in your 30s. I also never really heard about the effects of BC on testosterone but honestly I don't think it has been studied. My testosterone was at 0. It explained a lot.

Yeah, the return of the periods sucks but I also like knowing that my body is working the way it should. Since I am clearly going into menopause it is good for me to know what my cycle is doing.

I'm really surprised that IUDs aren't even offered by a GYN. They have been shown to be effected for decades. My GYN told me the copper has the longest history of use and they know the most about its effectiveness. I did a lot of research before deciding what I wanted to do and this is what I arrived at. I'd be interested in hearing what the objection is.

Jen

Quote Reply