Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BCP question
Quote | Reply
Hey Ladies,
I'm new here, launching with a good one ;)
I am currently training for IMLP, I have a copper IUD that causes very heavy periods and I am considering moving to the pill so that I can avoid the possibility of a period on race day (it's a bad scene, logistically difficult and physically very draining).
My kiddos are now 4 & 7 so I think my hormones have calmed down - any advice on the pill appreciated.
Olivia
Quote Reply
Re: BCP question [organicolive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you already have an IUD, have you considered having it replaced with a mirena? I got my mirena last June and have yet to have a period. I have very minor spotting sometime but other than that it is hassle free birth control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my iud removed in August and went on the pill for 6 months - the irregular bleeding I was experiencing from the iud stopped but I gained 10 pounds and my blood pressure went up - so now I'm off it again. I also felt lethargic training on the pill- it could have been coincidence but I feel much better off it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use seasonale which is a 3 month pill. I'm not totally in love with it, because I tend to get break through bleeding. What is great about it, though, is that you only get your period once every 3 months, which is really helpful for IM training. I've thought about trying Mirena, but I have gotten really used to 4 periods a year.

I also prefer seasonale vs. monthly pills because every new month, the first 3 days of taking the pill makes me really nauseous and has made me puke. Not fun.

It's either called seasonale or seasonique, I can't remember which.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onto mirena #2 - i've barely had a period in about 8 years and much prefer to the pill (i was russian roullete on the pill, anyways : ( ).
the first month can involve spotting, though, so make a switch a good month or two before the IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever you do, do it sooner than later. Pills, IUD's like Mirena that has hormones in it, Nuvaring and other BC will effect people differently based on your body chemistry. You may have to try more than 1 of the options depending on how it effects your body.
Quote Reply
Re: BCP question [tallgirlNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^ agree with the above. i actually quit using oral contraceptives about 5 months ago (after 14 years on them), and my body is still sorting itself out as of 2 weeks ago. it'll take time for any change in hormone levels to show potential side effects.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I would love to hear more about Mirena - I am scheduled to get one put in next week. I have not had a period since December, I think its stress or weight loss, but I am excited to get this thing so I can stop worrying about getting pregnant. Hopefully it will not give me a period though...

Should I be taking the day off work afterwards? Will I have to avoid workouts for a day or two?

I have one little one, he is 2.5 yrs old, and we are done with kids, so I am looking for something long-term.

To the original poster, I can totally relate - my periods have been super irregular, and last year I did IMC and was SURE I was going to get it on race day, so I had stuff planted in my special needs and bento box, just in case! It never happened, thankfully. Hope it all works out for you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my Mirena for over 2 years now with no periods, cramps; it has even helped with the unbelievable amount of bloating I typically experienced.

I know of several people who have also had endometrial ablation done (if you are done having kids) with good luck as well.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I use seasonale which is a 3 month pill. I'm not totally in love with it, because I tend to get break through bleeding. What is great about it, though, is that you only get your period once every 3 months, which is really helpful for IM training. I've thought about trying Mirena, but I have gotten really used to 4 periods a year.

I also prefer seasonale vs. monthly pills because every new month, the first 3 days of taking the pill makes me really nauseous and has made me puke. Not fun.

It's either called seasonale or seasonique, I can't remember which.

x2 on everything in this post. I've been on the generic brand (Quasense) of Seasonale for 3ish years and did have a lot of break through bleeding for the first 2 years. My doc said it could be because of low body fat and suggested I try one more round. I did, and had NO break through stuff in the past year. It's awesome for training :)
Last edited by: lisac957: Mar 16, 10 11:24
Quote Reply
Re: BCP question [Angela K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Angela-

Note to other readers: May contain more information that you would like to read :)

I had my Mirena inserted in May 2009 during my period. Prior to the insertion I had not had a period for over 8-10 months. In fact the period I had during insertion was forced by a cycle of progesterone pills (which was not fun in itself). And just to point out, I haven't had kids or have ever been pregnant. Prior to insertion I was advised to take 600-800mg of Advil about an hour or so before my appt and was also given a dose of misoprostol to take the night before. I believe the misoprostol was to soften the cervix prior to insertion. Prior to deciding on the mirena (or an IUD in general), I had done a ton of research and was scared to death of insertion has I had read many horror stories about pain, cramping, etc. But for me, insertion was a breeze. First they get you all get up like a normal pelvic exam and then they sound the uterus to determine the size/location. My dr did not use any numbing agent for the insertion but I have read that some will. For me, the sounding was not that painful - a quick cramp with a pain level (more discomfort than pain) of about 3-4 for about 5-10 sec. The Dr actually mentioned that they might not be able to insert the IUD for some reason but was willing to try if I wanted them to which I did. And it went fine. The actual IUD insertion was a bit more discomfort - maybe a 6 (for about 5-10 sec) but really nothing more that I had ever experienced with menstrual cramps or even stomach cramps. I just sort of went to that place I go in painful workouts and remembered to breath. In no time, it was over all and was well. After reading all of the horrible stories, I was shocked at how easy and almost pain free it was. I will admit, I did get a little dizzy and had to lay there for a few minutes.

I had plans to take the rest of the day off because I had read about cramping and other things. So I went home and sat on the couch. After about 2 hours of that I was bored. I felt fine and felt like a loser to sitting there. I went for a walk and did some shopping. My dr advised me not to work out on the first day (not sure why) so I didn't (I also think it was a scheduled rest day for me). I still felt pretty bad from the oral progesterone so I didn't mind taking a rest day. I believe I went back to my normal training the next day. I know I did double century ride on the weekend following the insertion (which I think happened on a Wed). In general, the first couple of weeks, I had real minor cramping but not every day or constantly. Just something that periodically happened. The cramps really weren't painful but more of a slight discomfort - I sort of just felt off. Sometimes they were quick and a bit sharper like a quick jab to my stomach and other times it was just a soreness in the abdominal area for a couple of hours or so. But nothing too painful to keep me from training (I was training for IMWI at the time). I also had spotting from week 3-8 or so. I used liners as a preventive measure during this time. After 8 weeks from insertion, the cramps went away and the spotting has almost completely disappeared and I have not had a real period since. However, I do spot during hard workouts, especially long run but the spotting is very minimal. I also really haven't had many other side effects that are negative (that I can directly associate with the mirena).

Based people I have talked to and things I have read, the insertion can be as easy as mine was or alot more painful. I would just plan for the worst and make changes based on how you feel. You likely will be able to return to work but you may just want to be prepared in case you can't. Same with working out.

There is a community/message board for women with IUDs and women who want IUDs that I found helpful (see below). Most of the women here really love their IUDs and are up front and honest about their experiences.
http://community.livejournal.com/iud_divas/

Hope some of this helps. And feel free to ask me more specific questions if you have any.
Quote Reply
Re: BCP question [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Instigator - thanks so much for sharing this!! I certainly know what to be ready for now. I am scared of course, but after 36 hours of labour and a difficult childbirth with no epidural, I can handle just about anything! LOL
Spotting is a drag, but I guess its better than a full-on period. Although when I have been months on and off of having one altogether, its easy to get used to not having one at all.

Thanks again and happy training!

I will let you know how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much ladies!
I have tried Mirena and it wasn't the one for me - however it was valuable to remember that bc it was my experience on it that led me to the copper IUD with no hormones at all. I think I will just have to cross my fingers and hope the cycle gods smile on me in July! I don't think that 4 months will give me the time to adjust to new hormones (especially if I don't react well).
I guess i'll go back to lobbying the husband to snip snip!
Thanks again!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply