Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Awkward but relatable question
Quote | Reply

I live in a state where it's warm and I rarely have to wear tights on my long runs, even in the winter. I don't like running in tights -- it gets my panties in a bunch, quite literally. I know folks here are no strangers to discomfort, but if said discomfort can be averted, why not?

I'm doing my first up-north (aka colder than I'm used to) marathon in a week and a half, and I'm considering wearing tights for it. And if so, I'd like to avoid bunching.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: Awkward but relatable question [greybird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being in Chicago, I wear tights a lot and I pretty much never wear panties with them. I just go commando. I have learned that if it is really cold (below about 10-15) and super windy, I feel much more comfortable wearing a pair of compression shorts under my tights. The added layers on my thighs and butt keep me much warmer.

I know that some companies such as moving comfort, patagonia, under armor, etc make "sport" panties that are supposed to prevent bunching and whatnot but I have never tried them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go commando. I never wear undies under tights.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go commando

put body glide on jibblies incl inside butt cheeks

thin wool socks

Good luck!

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Awkward but relatable question [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The jibblies"... he he he - childish of me, but thanks for the giggles this morning!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks ladies! I'm crossing my fingers for a warm day, but just in case, I'll go for a pair of compression shorts. Looks like under armour sells some for only $25, and they come without a crotch seam. Good deal.
I also can't wait to ask my boo if I can borrow his body glide for "my jibblies." I'm sure I'll get a "that's what she said."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Commando and KY gel instead of BodyGlide are the best for me. I have worn a pair of thermal tights during a very cold run with a frozen butt. I have a pair of Running With My Homies pants from Lululemon that stretch well yet are tight enough to add compression and warmth for a cold day. They also keep the cakes from shaking.

Quote | Reply
Lots of interesting replies. I found commando to be horrid for me. I purchased some "rundies" aka running undies and love them.
The patagonia seamless are my faves.
Also use of bodyglide is pretty much with me on just about every run...inner thigh, bumular area, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never been able to do commando - I prefer a "sport thong" - nike makes a good one. Not much to bunch up and my girl parts don't chafe. I'm sure we're all different though and you should probably test a few things out before the race! Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rundies, huh? I can't go commando either because I hate the feeling of the seam. I wish I hadn't waited until now to ask about this. It would've been better if I could've tried some of these ideas out in a non-taper setting. Oh well, you can't be prepared for everything.
thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear tri shorts for running. They have a chamois so no seams in awkward spots! I have never worn undies while running.
Quote Reply
Re: Awkward but relatable question [Mr + Mrs C.C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr + Mrs C.C. wrote:
I wear tri shorts for running.

+1

wear tri shorts + knee warmers or leg warmers. wear actual shorts over that if you need additional insulation. problem solved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's cold enough for tights, my butt is typically freezing so I do the compression short under the tights. Commando has never felt right and I dread a possible camel toe. Gross.

I picked up a pair of winter boy short undie things at REI last year. They're made by Sporthill. I like them I just wish they were long enough to cover my thighs/quads.
Quote Reply
Re: Awkward but relatable question [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another commando here. Tights and running shorts are meant to be worn without undergarments. If your tights are giving the camel toe or have a seam in an unpleasant area, they are not the right tights for you.

However, when it is really cold, my butt gets cold (I'm well-insulated there), so I put running shorts over the top of my tights. On a SUPER COLD day, I'll put another layer of tights on or long underwear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta look for the gusseted (sp? The little extra triangle/diamond crotchal area for extra room)no seams.

I also do the compression shorts under though - still need the gusseted ones! No camels!

The extra layer keeps my from clawing my skin off when I come in & start to itch as I warm up. Also think about a compression base layer up top, keep the belly layered!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spandex shorts underneath the tights

good luck at your marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Awkward but relatable question [StephB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StephB wrote:
Another commando here. Tights and running shorts are meant to be worn without undergarments. If your tights are giving the camel toe or have a seam in an unpleasant area, they are not the right tights for you.

However, when it is really cold, my butt gets cold (I'm well-insulated there), so I put running shorts over the top of my tights. On a SUPER COLD day, I'll put another layer of tights on or long underwear.

I go commando. If I need an extra layer, I would rather wear running shorts underneath than underwear....even underwear label as running underwear aren't great...although champion used to make a boy short pair that were pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: Awkward but relatable question [RunaroundS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, another commando. Body glide/vaseline works. If it's really cold, I'll wear an older pair of tri shorts under the tights. Hate, hate panties running.
Quote Reply
Re: Awkward but relatable question [Tri1016] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hell if it's really cold, I wear my deSoto fleece tights... OMG those things are amazing!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the tips, everybody! It turned out to be perfect weather so I didn't need pants after all, but now I'm more prepared for any potential inclement weather.

Happy Training!
<3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you ended up not needing the pants! :)

Funny how I seem to be odd person out with the commando tights thing... I seriously tried commando with my running tights and hated it - barely got through 4miles.
When I wear running shorts, I don't use anything with them, the ones I buy have a built in brief.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have long been on a search for good underwear for cold-weather running and backpacking (like looking for 20 year). I finally found it - http://www.isisforwomen.com. Not cheap, but really worthwhile. Very high quality - they may actually seem a bit thicker than you might initially think you would like, but give them a try! No wedgies or bunching. Like them on FB today and get 25% off.
Last edited by: dmcculloch: Nov 27, 12 19:21
Quote Reply