Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Arthroscopic knee surgery 12/22
Quote | Reply
I finally got tired of my knee being in pain so I went back to the ortho I was seeing last year. I asked him what was next, thinking we were going to be talking about knee replacement. He said, let's get in there and clean it out! So, that's what we are doing.

He's going to scrape down the rough edges, remove any debris and if it makes sense he will release the kneecap. He said that would be really unusual but he wanted to mention it in case he needs to do it. From there we will know if more needs to be done.

This is the first surgery I've had since getting my tonsils out when I was 17. I'm not nervous but I have a month to stew on it and think about all the things that can go wrong.

I live by myself so my brother is going to do hospital duty and make sure I'm ok after I get home. Dr. said I'd be mobile that day but of course I'm a little concerned about being alone and in pain. I'm TERRIBLE about asking for help so I imagine I'll just suffer. He will be picking me up for Christmas day so at least I'll get out of the apartment.

For those who have been through arthroscopy, tell me about recovery. How mobile were you? If I make sure my paths are clear around my apartment (it's pretty small) will I be OK? How can I set myself up to be comfortable? I'm thinking I'll sleep on the couch because my bed is really high and getting in and out might be tough.

Any info you can share I'd appreciate it. I asked in the tri forum but surprisingly didn't get a lot of response.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Arthroscopic knee surgery 12/22 [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you will need help immediately following the operation. And it would probably be good if your brother could be around if possible the first 48 hours. and then I feel you would be good to go on your own. I can't remember if i was non weight, on crutches with my knee surgery. I have had so many freaking operations. a smaller apartment may be more helpful on crutches. maybe thinking about preparing some meals ahead of time. good luck. I would also follow the instructions of the pain medicine. lots of people say they don't to take medicine. pain medicine is a good thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your surgeon is probably best to answer this question but for me recovery was a piece of cake. I was told to put weight on it right away and get on my bike and trainer and spin it out the next day. Blood flow to the area is important as there isn't a lot of blood in the knee. I think I only took a day off work. I don't even think I took pain killers. I didn't have my knee cap replaced - that doesn't sound fun.

Stock up on food and you should be fine.

Good luck!

Wanda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A month is a long time to stew about what can go wrong. i don't have anything to offer about the specifics of the knee operation. I can offer some thoughts on managing the anxiety.

I have found meditation to really help in managing anxiety about medical procedures and chronic pain. Two good resources are:
http://www.meditationoasis.com/...eathing-meditations/

and this CD
http://www.amazon.com/...rtant/dp/0316167258/

Best wishes!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure clm will see this - she had knee surgery recently.

I am mostly replying to wish you luck and remind you that asking for help is a sign of strength. You GIVE so much help to others (e.g., working at the animal shelter every week) and I bet there are people who would jump at the chance to help you.

(((hugs))) and I hope this lessens your pain significantly.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had two knee surgeries- the first was ACL repair 16 yrs ago which was brutal. I was in pain for six weeks and got back on my bike after about 10. Took four months till i could even try running. but it slowly came around and i was back doing small races after about six months. Then, same knee two years ago, had arthroscopic to remove a loose piece of cartilage that had been floating around in there for a few years, and trimmed up a small flap of torn cartilage. This was a walk in the park compared to the ACL. i was up walking around on it the next day and was back on the bike by the next weekend, and back to running small amounts after three weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had four surgeries on the right knee, varying from ACL repair to ACL replacement to bone spur removal twice. So if you are going to have arthroscopic clean-up, it really should not be a big deal. Your knee will be swollen for a week or two, and you'll be on crutches for maybe one day. Could you manage this all by yourself? Yes, of course! Should you have someone stay with you for the first two days? Yes, of course! It's really nice to have someone else getting your ice packs, cooking meals, and cleaning up and just being a general extra set of working legs.

Biggest thing is to follow the doctor's orders regarding what kinds of activities and when, post-procedure. Everyone is unique and what you may read on this forum may work great for one person and horribly for another. You are an experiment of one.

Painkillers... I hate them. I took ibuprofen or tylenol. That was all.

Good luck,
BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Arthroscopic knee surgery 12/22 [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Glad to hear the recovery from arthroscopy wasn't bad.

I'm mostly concerned about the first 24 - 48 hours. I think I'll be OK on my own but being on pain meds can make people stupid.

Thanks for the positive encouragement everyone. I'm really hopeful I will be able to fully enjoy next summer and get out to do some hiking.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to commiserate a little bit....no issues with knees so I can't compare there...but have been stewing for four days now on a shoulder surgery (yes, my dominant hand) scheduled for 12/10. I also live by myself & am fiercely protective of my independence...so this is going to be fun - between the smothery tendencies of the boyfriend & the also-independent mother coming to stay with me....I'm sure there's going to be some QUALITY entertainment. It's a three-floor townhome with two 50lb dogs, so I'm SURE there's nothing that can go wrong, right? Pray for their safety.

Jen - I'm sure you'll be back at it in no time at all.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just take the regular pain medicine like advil or whatever you like. You probably will not need the hard core stuff, but doctors like to make sure you have it. when i had my hip replacement, i just used the over the counter stuff and was fine. all my druggie friends wanted what the doctor gave me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my knee scoped a couple of years ago to take out a chunk of crap & general tidy up (patella maltracking related). Hardly needed the crutches or painkillers & was on the trainer within a few days for a small spin. Running was a few weeks later. 2 IM later..

My advice (based on my experience) would be to start the PT now if you haven't already & can. Try & build it up before the surgeon even goes in. Then don't stop. I've since buggered it again & I'm now seeing a sports rehab Chiro to retrain the whole neuro muscular system that I've neglected at my own peril.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone is different. And it depends on what the surgeon does inside too. You may need only OTC pain relievers or you may need something stronger. I don't consider myself a pain wimp, but when I had arthroscopic knee surgery in May I ended up at the ER at 4am because the pain was so bad. And I had taken Tramadol and then Hydrocodone. Once you get behind the pain, it is very hard to get ahead of it again. And now I'm scheduled for a scope of the other knee in a few weeks. We can be knee buddies. :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My scope I walked the five blocks to the hospital, had surgery, and my teammate picked me up and drove me home later that day. I was partial weight-bearing with crutches. When I got home, I put the leg up and stayed on top of the pain meds (like take them per doc's orders, not after you start feeling pain).

Surgery on the Friday before Labor Day. Laid around Saturday and Sunday, went to the bike races on Labor Day Monday and back to work on Tuesday.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a debriedment, a removal of my ACL, a shaving down of the bone spurs, and a general "smoothing out" of my wretched joint space in Feb. (2/2 to be exact). I was on the couch for 2 days, but still mobile. Believe it or not, my level of pain was so high before the surgery, I felt better AFTERWARDS even with all the swelling. I took some (but not many) pain pills and was feeling pretty dang good I'd say just a couple of days after the surgery. I was mobile the entire time. I could walk around. Not fast, but I could walk. I could take myself to the bathroom, etc etc. I was at PT (drove myself... this is my L leg) by 2/6 and on the trainer by 2/15. I did home PT and actual PT like it was my full time job. (I returned to my full time job on 2/11/2015).

I trained for and finished IMWI in September. I needed a TKR before the February surgery but I was already signed up for IMWI and the doctors wanted to try to buy me some time. I'm 45, and I can say that now it's time. I had a follow up appt today, and I'm going to be looking at a TKR in like Feb or March, as soon as they can get me in.

The long and the short of it is that I fully believe you will be fine. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Arthroscopic knee surgery 12/22 [Whizzzzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 46 and hoping the arthroscopy delays the knee replacement for several years. Cathy's had a rough time with hers and it isn't an easy recovery. I'll connect you two on Facebook.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck Jen - I'm sure it will be fine :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope all goes well today and you are back doing your favorite things soon!

And enjoy the time with your family - they do want to take care of you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking of you today Jen - hoping it all goes smoothly and you're back on your feet in no time!

Quote | Reply
sending positive vibes your way today Jen... AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Arthroscopic knee surgery 12/22 [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone!

I kept dreaming about eating toast and wondering if I'd have to reschedule because I ate toast.

I'm nervous but I'm in good hands. I'll post an update when I get home tomorrow or Thursday.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
Thanks everyone!

I kept dreaming about eating toast and wondering if I'd have to reschedule because I ate toast.

I'm nervous but I'm in good hands. I'll post an update when I get home tomorrow or Thursday.

We are cheering for you and your pain free knee!!
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you are doing well!

Quote | Reply
Hope it went well, Jen - we're all rooting for you and your knee!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how are you doing?
Quote Reply
Re: Arthroscopic knee surgery 12/22 [gogogo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much everyone. It's great having this support, especially from athletes as you all have a unique understanding of my frustrations. And I haven't even met most of you!

Knee surgery went well in general. No negative affects from the anesthesia, no nausea or anything. I was tired last night but not doped. The pain is tolerable and I'm mobile. I did take an oxy last night but stayed with Advil so far today. I'm glad I spend the night with by brother but his in-laws were there, plus the kids, so it was a bit chaotic. I just got back to my place and am enjoying some quiet.

The bad news is my knee is a lot worse than he expected. There is no cartilage in 4 places. He said it is the knee of someone much older. We only talked for a few minutes but he did say a total knee replacement is necessary. We didn't talk timeline, I'll have a follow-up with him to go over that. I'm hoping this will at least reduce some pain but in general it won't do as much as we thought since the damage is pretty bad. "Severe arthritis" on my discharge notes :-(

I won't worry about it for a couple days. I need to get over the hump on this surgery before planning the next. Netflix and Instacart are on my list of next steps for now :-)

Jen

Quote Reply

Prev Next