Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone try Hokas?
Quote | Reply
Looking at anything to help with getting me back to running with less impact on my hip-these were suggested and look really good on paper but wondered if anyone has reported good relief with running with these?(Sorry, don't know how to post the shoes themselves:(
C
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try Hokas? [cayenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have three pairs (leather for work, trail, and road). I am very happy with their cushion on my half-century+ frame ;-)

As I turn up the heat on training for Ironman Lake Tahoe, I plan to get much more long mileage in them. Not sure that I will race in them though, as they are a little heavy, which is perfect for a training shoe.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try Hokas? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SSP - what three models do you have specifically?

I have an old (1st generation) Bondi B that I really like. I recently tried the mafate 2 as I primarily run on trails and hated them. They were clunky, felt heavy, and very stiff. I would love a shoe with more tread for the trails so am considering the Stinson Evo as a possible trail shoe. I also need to replace the Bondi B. It will either be a direct replacement with the Bondi B or maybe the Bondi S.

I am having an issue finding a local store that carries all the models. I have one store that only have the stinson evo tarmac (which could maybe be a bondi b replacement for me) and that is it. There is another store that carries them but I don't like buying from them. It also doesn't help that it appears we are currently stuck in the transition from last years models to this years and most of my go to online stores only have limited sizing. Based on a conversation with a local running store the new models will be out in May.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try Hokas? [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same two as you and all three pairs were purchased at less than half price on Clymb.com.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lucky you! I am always slow on the clymb sales and my size is gone :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, it's one of the few perks, along with airplane seating, to being dwarf-sized ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a pair of the Bondi B2 in anticipation of my increased mileage for IMCZ training.

I have been running in Newton Gravity for the last 2 years. I had some pretty painful/bruise-like balls of my feet from last years training for Nike Women's marathon.

I tried the Bondi Speed & Stinson.. I really wanted the Bondi Speed as it's "triathlon" rated, but it just didn't feel right. Way too thin in the toe box for me and along the sides of the feet.

The Stinson has this faux leather trim that goes from the top of the toe box down to the front of the shoe and that really hurt my toes.

The Bondi B2 felt really good and the fabric at the top of the toe box is similar to the Newton construction. It also felt a bit wider in the tox box and forefoot.

I've put 17 miles on them so far. Speed work, ez runs, etc. They seem to be ok but I do notice the cuff comes up a bit higher around the ankle so I lube that up quite a bit. At first I also found my cadence seemed slower but with a few more runs in them I was able to adjust my forward lean a bit and bring the cadence back up.

Denise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am pretty mini-size as I wear a 6. But I'm also lazy and usually log into the clymb days after I get an email with something that interests me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next time they run a sale in our size, I'll PM you. Sometimes, the over-half off stuff goes quickly...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you find them heavy to run in or is this adjustment fairly easy? I'm very intrigued due to toe/foot issues made worse by distance. Love my Vibrams (even though they're probably the culprits) and Hokas seem the opposite end of the spectrum . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try Hokas? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything compared to Vibramd will be heavy, so that will be a given. Hokas are not much heavier than other shoes, but their cushion is outstanding.

What you see is what you get in terms of ride. Having 40+ years f run mileage on my body, I find them indespensible in allowing me to run long.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just picked up a pair(Bondi B) yesterday and went for a short 2 mile run last night. The cushioning is amazing. I am eager to try them again soon. I felt a bit of running on the top of my big toe but it was not red when I stopped so I am unsure if it was real or just my sock bunched up or whatever. Will report on next run.
Last edited by: johnnybefit: Apr 19, 13 9:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup! I am on my second pair of Bondi Bs. I am a big advocate. I had taken some time off from running then tried a comeback by I was so uncomfortable I wasn't enjoying it. Found a pair of Bondi for half off and decided to try them. I'm averaging 35-40 mpw with none of the same joint pain I was getting. I'm back to being a runner again because of them.

Highly highly recommended.

Keep an eye on Left Lane Sports as well. That's where I've gotten 2 pairs for half off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing my long runs in Bondi Bs for about a month. They don't feel a lot different than the Brooks Launch I run in the rest of the time. However, my legs seem to recover much faster from the long runs with the Hokas. I'm wearing the Hokas for 70.3+ this yr.

The weight difference between my launch and Hokas with custom insoles is .75 ounces in size 6.5.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought a pair today-Bondi B's? Felt good in the store and they were 25% off! Lucky me! I hope they help my poor ole hip-just 1 month ago I ran 10+ miles and now I am down to 30 min and a fair amount of hip pain the next day. BUT I can do the 30 min and I can improve from there. I will try them today for my little 30 min ole lady shuffle but happy to do it!
Thanks all, and thanks Graham, for suggesting these!
C
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try Hokas? [txgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you find the sizing compares to Brooks Launch? Those are my favoured trainers, but I'd like to give the Hokas a whack and I'm not sure they even have any retailers in Canada where I could try them on.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
The Bondi Bs are the same size as brooks launch. The Bondi Speeds are unisex and I haven't tried them, so I'd be weary of ordering those online without trying them on.

I ran a 70.3 in them yesterday and PR'ed the run. I'm muscle soar but just don't feel the achey joints and feet I have from other shoes
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try Hokas? [txgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my Hokas. I have the Bondi Speed. Basically the extra cushion allows me to train. I am not running alot of distance just yet, slowing building up speed and distance. I have semoiditis in my right foot and the doctors are out of options except surgery (which might not even fix the problem or lead to another) so this is the only way that I can train is with these shoes and a dancer's pad. Our local running store just started to carry them but I got my first pair online. Had to return it once to get a different size (free returns) but now it is great. Most people I know who have them love them, at least for training. I will be using them for race days as well. The only thing I don't like is running on a ruberized track with them, that is too much cushion for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I now have 3 short runs on my Hoka Bondi B's. I like them alot though no run was over a few miles. I did run two miles for speed last night and averaged 8:00 per mile so the shoe did not slow me down. I am eager to get in a longer run to see if they will become my marathon shoe but will wait until after Pittsburgh to try a longer run. The cushion feels wonderful and all of my running is on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try Hokas? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my Hokas. I have the Bondi B. I have had issues with my left knee running due to a fully replaced kneecap from an old spots injury. It gives me fits every now and then. Since getting the Hokas I haven't experienced any pain or issues with it.

It did however change my stride, which I think was a blessing in disguise. I mainly run trail races, and they are perfect. The cushioning is nothing short of amazing to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a followup to my other posts, I have picked up a pair of Stinson Evo Tarmac (trail) and a pair of Stinson Evo (road) last week. I have put about 30 miles on the Evo and 10 and the Tarmac and can say I love them a ton. They feel nothing like the horrible mafate and much closer to the Bondi's that I have. I also realized that I do not actually have a pair of Bondi B's. I have the Bondi Lo which I am pretty sure they don't make anymore.

As I start my build for transrockies and glacial 50M, I am thinking the stinson's (both pair) will make the rotation with my brooks flow and innov-8s.
Quote Reply