Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone know anything about pampered chef can openers?
Quote | Reply
Ok so I know this is not really tri related and maybe it belongs in lavender room and if so well then im sorry but this seemed like the best place I could go for some info.

About 3 months ago yadda yadda yadda my wifes mom and grandfather moved in with us. We got a new house that would fit all our needs. Well in the consolidation of all things there were a lot of duplicate items especially in the kitchen and since we had nicer stuff I was tasked with sorting through what should be kept and what should be pitched. SO I was going through a gadget box and discovered that they were bringing to the house about 5 can openers. Seriously when have you ever been using a can opener in your house and someone else HAD to open a can at the same time to warrant having more than one??? Anyway I LOVE the look and utility of the OXO good grips brand (I used to cook in college before my life as an engineer!) and thats what most of my gadgets are. I sized up the 5 can openers 4 of which were those cheap 99cent jobbers from the grocery store aisle and pitched them all. Well I later found out that #5 was a pampered chef can opener that was a present to my mom-in-law that for whatever reason she is really attached to. I will be straight up honest here that I did not admit to throwing it away. I dont really remember if I did or not. I dont remember seeing anything that was nice but the way the circumstances are it seems I did. My Mom-in-law is one to hold on to ummm issues yeah and so I basically want help replacing this can opener where I can drop it in a kitchen to be found at some later date thus clearing me of disposing of this apparently priceless can opener.

SO this is what I know. She got it 3-4 years ago. It was white and it did something with the part of the can it cut off but to be honest that part confused me. I am hoping that someone out there sells this stuff and can tell me if they have changed the model in the last few years or if it has stayed the same and point me in the right direction to replace it.

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

God's in his heaven, alls right with the world -Nerv
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything about pampered chef can openers? [suparuki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have sent you a PM with the email of the lady I know that sells them.

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything about pampered chef can openers? [suparuki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I have never heard of the Pampered Chef and just yesterday I got invited to a "Pampered Chef" party...guess it's like one of those Tupperware things..? Hey if it'll give me an excuse to buy something I'll buy a can opener for you :) However I suspect it's much cheaper to buy closer to home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
it did something with the part of the can it cut off but to be honest that part confused me.

It might have been a sidecutter. Rather than cutting down inside the ridge to open the can from the top, a sidecutter cuts the side of the rolled rim of the can, leaving a smoother, less sharp edge on the can. They say you can't cut yourself on an opened can - but I wouldn't try that hard to prove them wrong. The downside is you can't use the lid to drain the contents (if for example you're used to draining tuna by squeezing the lid down).

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything about pampered chef can openers? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes you can, just have to be a little more careful about it. i have an old starfrit side cut and i drain off the water for my kitties all the time..

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I can't believe I have an opinion on this that I'd respond. But I do.

I have the starfrit, having bought it HOPING it did what I had seen other openers do. It doesn't.
The starfrit cuts UNDER the rolled section of the can, taking the top off including the entire rolled "lip" (it does it very easily, mind you) and leaves a VERY VERY sharp edge that is just the thickness of the can itself.

Others I have seen in past and haven't been able to find, (and I am betting this is what the pampered chef does) cut actually midway on the rolled lip of the can, leaving a top that has a contoured edge and a can with a mating contoured edge. It is harder to cut yourself on either piece (but you can if you try hard enough).

The real neat feature is that you have these "mating pieces" and thus a reclosable can if you line up the start point of the cut on each piece. It isn't a tupperware-quality seal of course, but handy for say half eaten cans of fruit or pet food that you know will be finished off later in the day or the next.

Paul.

ErgVideo.com
Last edited by: Paul Smeulders: Oct 14, 09 10:14
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything about pampered chef can openers? [Paul Smeulders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're quite right, mine does cut under the rolled portion, and leave a sharp edge at the top of the can (though i've never cut myself on it). i haven't seen the other sort - until my starfrit stops working i'm off the market :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
You actually threw out perfectly good kitchen tools? In the garbage? Was that a typo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a new car and now you want a new CAN OPENER? sheesh ;-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything about pampered chef can openers? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Khai said.
It's a sidecutter. I have one and I like it for everything but the big cans of tuna b/c you can't use the lid to help drain.
With 2 little kids around I really like having the non-sharp lids and can around.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know anything about pampered chef can openers? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shut yo mouth! ^_^ And the mini is AMAZING!

God's in his heaven, alls right with the world -Nerv
Quote Reply